Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > FAT32 Problem with file greater than 4gb

FAT32 Problem with file greater than 4gb
kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2007, 11:58 PM

I have a hard drive that is fat32 formated. I use this hard drive with both Windows and Mac OS X. I have a file that is about 8 GB and want to put it on this drive. I cannot separate this file because I will be using it sometimes. Basically, I want to know if there is a way to get around the max file size in fat32. I looked into MacFuse, something that allows me to write and read to an NTFS file system. Is there a way for windows to read and write to a Mac OS X Journaled file system also?

PS - This is an external USB/FW400 hard drive.

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2007, 04:35 AM

FAT32 does not support larger then 4GB files. Windows again won't understand HFS+...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2007, 05:43 AM

You could make a segmented .dmg disk image with the 8 GB file on it, and store it on the FAT32 partition as multiple segments, each of which is less than 4 GB.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2007, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by kpne1home View Post
I looked into MacFuse, something that allows me to write and read to an NTFS file system. Is there a way for windows to read and write to a Mac OS X Journaled file system also?
Macdrive for Windows works really well.

OreoCookie
Mar 31, 2007, 06:08 AM

FAT32 isn't capable of handling files larger than 4 GB, you need to use another filesystem. I'm not sure how stable the FUSE driver for NTFS is, so I'd suggest firefly's suggestion to use an HFS+ drivers for Windows.

Alternatively, you could also transfer files via network … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules