Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you like widgets on people's web sites?

Do you like widgets on people's web sites?
starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2007, 12:09 PM

Jeremy Toeman wrote on his blog recently that he doesn't like all the crap people have on their blog. I agree, to a point. I think that in this day and age it's nice to have a place where people can share parts of their lives that they want to make public, and I never had any slowdowns with pages. What are your thoughts on this?

I want a WidgetBlocker � Jeremy Toeman’s LIVEdigitally

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2007, 12:14 PM

His blog has some redundancies and superfluous info as well. I say that whatever bloggers want to do with the format of their individual blogs should be up to them. If others don't like it, there's no law compelling them to go there.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 12:16 PM

I don't frequent a lot of blogs or personal sites so I don't see this problem, if it exists. I mostly see this stuff on myspace, and people load that with so much crap widgets are the least of your problems.

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 12:17 PM

This looks like a blogger who has run out of things to blog about.

Geez, nobody is making him look at blogs anyway, and it's not like he is paying for looking.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 12:30 PM

Personally, I like some of the widgets that people include.

For example, Wordpress has a Flickr widget that allows me to display my 5 most recent pictures along the right side of my blog. Now, I know it's just an unknown personal blog, but it's a cool idea, and I'm glad they included it.

That being said, Dvorak's blog annoys the crap out of me with all the rubbish on each side. Look at how distracting it all is.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 12:32 PM

That is one ugly blog. No Mac user would be caught dead with that.

Jason
Sep 7, 2007, 01:20 PM

^+1 the colour choice actually hurts my eyes!
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 01:34 PM

Well that explains it. I switched to Vista. I love it. It's so much better than OSX. I'll never go back. It's secure too.
Go on, Jason. You're new here, so you don't know about the white text. Bite...c'mon...bite!

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
What are your thoughts on this?
My thought is that it is generally a noble idea to just leave people to post whatever the heck they want on their personal websites. If some of the features, widgets, or general "whatsit" is useless to me, then so be it. The world won't go down. Besides, most of anything we do is useless, isn't it. A few more hicups here, a few reports on someone's burnt morning toast there ... what gives? Luckily, I have the genuine ability to ignore what holds no interest for me. With that said, I don't use any widgets personally and I rarely enjoy the widgets of others. There are a few occasions where I actually do enjoy extra information though.

SpencerLavery
Sep 7, 2007, 02:06 PM

Isn't that what RSS feeds are good for? All the blog with none of the trimmings.

Personally I like the extras.
WhiteBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 250GB WD Scorpio HD
Wireless Mighty Mouse, Logitech S530 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Hyundia 22" LCD
80GB Apple HD in Omata USB Caddy, 500GB FreeCom NAS formatted as HFS+ so no longer NAS
M-Audio Ozonic keyboard, M-Audio Solaris microphone, M-Audio BX5a speakers, Logic Studio

Forum Links
Forum Rules