Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I kicked cancer's behind

I kicked cancer's behind
Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 12:07 AM

Just about a month ago, I was diagnosed w/ melanoma- a mole gone bad on my ear. Melanoma, if caught early, and removed, is not generally deadly. If it goes unotcied and spreads, it almost always is. My father died of it when I was 18. Not a good way to die. I caught mine at the intermediate level- good prognosis, but not excellent. Lots of clenching of the sphincter for the last month. Last week, they removed about 1/2 of my left ear and two lymph nodes in my neck. I got the biopsy results from the ear and lymphnodes, and they removed it all from my ear and there were no cancerous cells in the lymphnodes. This means, with about 99% certianty, that it did not spread.

I will, almost certianly, live for a while. I'm only 32 w/ a wife, a 2yr old and another on the way. I really was not ready to check out.

I suppose I could get hit by a bus tommrow, but tonight, I'm going to get a good night's sleep and I'm really f'ing happy.

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 12:10 AM

Grats man!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 4, 2003, 12:13 AM

Wow, that's good news!

How did your mole change?

I ask cause I have a big one on my neck that I've thought 1000 times about having removed just for good measure.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
Wow, that's good news!

How did your mole change?

I ask cause I have a big one on my neck that I've thought 1000 times about having removed just for good measure.
It got bigger and changed color slightly. My wife noticed it. There is a very good chance, had I been single, I would never have caught it. I couldn't see it without trying, and who else but a spouse would every notice that kind of think.

If there is ANY question, have a dermatologist check it out. Complacency can kill you.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 12:27 AM

Congrats man. I've got a few cancer survivors in my family as well. Good that you cought it early. So far I'm safe. The closest I came was having a huge birthmark under my arm removed when I was 10 yrs old. Doctors told my parents it had a good potential to become cancerous if left alone. My mother, being a Nurse, decided it was best to have it sliced off. Almost 25 yrs later and I still have a big scar where it used to be.

MikeM

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by MikeM33:
Congrats man. I've got a few cancer survivors in my family as well. Good that you cought it early. So far I'm safe. The closest I came was having a huge birthmark under my arm removed when I was 10 yrs old. Doctors told my parents it had a good potential to become cancerous if left alone. My mother, being a Nurse, decided it was best to have it sliced off. Almost 25 yrs later and I still have a big scar where it used to be.

MikeM
I used to think (my) scars were cool. I have a great one on the back of my hand where they had to put in a metal plate to repair a shattered bone. Looks tough. The one on my neck isn't so bad. My ear looks pretty bad though. I'm basically balding, and have very thin hair to boot. It's short now and would look stupid long enough to cover things. I'll be wearing skater style stocking caps until I can get a phrosthetic ear made. They can do amazing things. Which is good. I really would have a hard time with it looking like it does now for the rest of my life. I realize I'm lucky and probably too vain- things could be much worse, but it would be hard to have people staring at me all the time. I guess I'll get used to it.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 4, 2003, 01:50 AM

Kind of wierd having to get a prosthetic ear, but a hell of a lot better than the alternative. Glad to hear your prognosis is so good. besides, you ca always make up a cool story about the ear thing. Tell people you picked a fight with Mike Tyson. Hell, tell 'em he ripped your hair out and now it won't grow back, and you would have sued him and all, but since you beat his ass and all, you figured you'd just let by gones be by bones.

But seriously, congrats on still being here, and hopefully you will be for quite some time.
Nemo me impune lacesset

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 4, 2003, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by Paco500:
I realize I'm lucky and probably too vain- things could be much worse
true, they could be. much worse.
but, as you said, you've come through.

too vain? I'd say most of us are. you seem to be taking this all in stride. commendable.

glad you're okay and future good luck!

ice

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by Paco500:
Just about a month ago, I was diagnosed w/ melanoma... This means, with about 99% certianty, that it did not spread.
i'd say that's the best +1 post ever.

-r.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 06:49 AM

CONGRATS! I saw my mom's friend suffer though cancer, sadly she didn't make it. Bad way to go. I'm glad everything is going well for you.

Congrats also on the kid on the way as well.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 10:00 AM

Kick a$$ Paco...

This is my mom's 11th year cancer free! May you enjoy many more years with your family too!
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

willed
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 10:40 AM

Congratulations! Good luck with the new kid who's on the way too!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 10:55 AM

Congrats man!! It is really good to hear news like this! I am genuinely delighted for you.

I pray for a day when no one will even have to face the prospect of any kind of cancer, as heart breakingly, I have sent too many people effected lately.

My Dad has a fight on his hands at the moment with Mesothelioma, a very nasty lung cancer caused by exposure to Asbestos.

When he was a trainee engineer in his early twenties, the company he worked for used the stuff to lag pipes and such... no one told my father and his friends that it was harmful, or protected them in any way.

For the last 6 months, he has had a new kind of chemotherapy with a new trial drug, and was told there has been a real improvement too!

I hope he can follow in your foot steps!

Take care,

Marc

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2003, 10:59 AM

Congratulations on being a cancer survivor, Paco500. May you have many years with your wife, 2 yr old, and one on the way.

Your story is a great reminder of how important it is to have a yearly physical with your doctor. It's a time that he can observe your skin and then refer to a Dermatologist if needed!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 11:00 AM

THAT IS AWESOME -- CONGRATULATIONS.

Same thing happened here. Had one on the back of my leg 10 years ago. Looked like an ordinary mole and then it became SLIGHTLY irregular. Was doing a piece on melanoma and interviewing a dermatologist and he noticed it on my leg. It was half the size of a pencil eraser and nothing I'd have noticed.

Since then I've had a couple of other lesions removed. I'm pretty fair and freckle easily so it makes paying attention to those things kind of hard.

All I can say is that ANY really black, irregular, large, or ENLARGING mole SHOULD BE REMOVED.

Congratulations to you and be sure to get in every six months for that full body skin check.

Good thread.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 12:01 PM

Thanks for everyone's kind words, and now, more than ever, my heart goes out to anyine who has lost someone or has a family member fighting cancer. It sucks.

If you are facing it- get to the best facilites and best care you can. I am lucky to have Johns Hopkins an hour away- and after 5 appointments with different dictors at my local hospital and getting all kinds of conflicting info- we went out and found the best we could in the area.

Treatment is getting better- find out who in your area knows what time it is and go see them.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 12:13 PM

You're going to be A-OK.

Just remember to enjoy each and every day and give your thanks to the Big Guy Above ---> who is watching out for you and your family.

And buy your wife some flowers today. She deserves it.

Lucky you -- you're going to be fine.

Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2003, 01:11 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules