Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Have you made the RIAA list?

Have you made the RIAA list?
Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 08:46 PM

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2003, 08:50 PM

they're all @kazaa.com do you need an @kazaa to use the service or what?

permanent68
Banned
Jul 23, 2003, 09:05 PM

This is ridiculous. Seriouisly, people need to start fire bombing the RIAA. It just ISNT RIGHT, to fine someone 12,000 for copying a song. What if I heard a song on a radio, taped it, convereted it to MP3, and had it on my computer. Is that illegal too?! ARGH.

HEY RIAA! BLOW ME!

If they ever got me (which they wont, because I never d/l music anymore), I'd go apeshit, steal $12,000 of stuff from some RIAA exec's house, sell it on ebay, and pay the fine.

- Ca$h

Immortal K-Mart Employee  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by permanent68:
If they ever got me (which they wont, because I never d/l music anymore), I'd go apeshit, steal $12,000 of stuff from some RIAA exec's house, sell it on ebay, and pay the fine.

- Ca$h
Awesome!

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2003, 09:37 PM

It's not so outragious, considering there are honest people who actually pay for their music, and there are digital cleptos that hord 30 gigs of MP3s without shelling out a dime.

permanent68
Banned
Jul 23, 2003, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
It's not so outragious, considering there are honest people who actually pay for their music, and there are digital cleptos that hord 30 gigs of MP3s without shelling out a dime.
**** you. You're not PAYING FOR THE MUSIC. You're not PAYING FOR THE INFORMATION. Think about it.

1. You spend 13 bucks on a CD. About 1 dollar goes to the musicians.

2. If I scratch my CD, is it legal for me to have a copied MP3 version of that same album on my HD? Technically, I bought the CD, and I had access to the info(music), and the RIAA claims that I was merely purchasing rights to it. So isn't it RIGHT for me to have the MP3s? No, according to them.

**** the RIAA. The PUNISHMENT SHOULD FIT THE CRIME, and this clearly does NOT.

- Rob

PS: I almost feel like d/l music and going to court with these *******s. You guys know I can argue. >:)

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2003, 09:57 PM

I used to download tons of music but now that iTMS is here I am slowly replacing it all with stuff I buy there. Slow going though, I'm poor.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2003, 09:59 PM

benb
Jul 23, 2003, 10:22 PM

nm

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 10:38 PM

What if I heard a song on a radio, taped it, convereted it to MP3, and had it on my computer. Is that illegal too?! ARGH.

- Ca$h
I believe taping a song off the radio IS illegal. Though everyone does it, just like taping tv shows.

Chris

talisker
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 10:58 PM

Unfortunately the fact that the music industry is a greedy, inept dinosaur that's completely failed to exploit the opportunities presented by internet music downloading in any sort of imaginative way does not change the fact that sharing copyrighted music without permission is illegal.

While people may throw around all sorts of complex moral and legal arguments, the reason that so many people do it is because they know they'll get away with it. This action by the RIAA is simply an effort to overcome that, even if it does seem draconian.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
I believe taping a song off the radio IS illegal. Though everyone does it, just like taping tv shows.

Chris
No, it's not. This was brought up in Canada a couple of years ago when the government expanded that tax on blank media (the money's supposed to go to artists or something).

Basically, the tax was imposed on blank media in the 1980s to appease the recording industry, artists, etc. It was expanded to CD-Rs and the like recently. So, you're allowed to tape songs off the radio as long as it's for personal, non-commercial use.

Of course, this is Canada I'm talking about; I don't know US law in this respect.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 11:17 PM

Chris
As dtriska mentioned, it's not. Broadcasters tried to kill the VCR, I think we all know what happened with that case. Taping TV and Radio broadcasts is covered by fair use.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

pooka
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 11:47 PM

Dunno what I would do.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

ambush
Banned
Jul 23, 2003, 11:49 PM

Chris
I don't wanna hear no sub 90kbps **** >:o

Larrys_Larynx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2003, 11:49 PM

there are some chicks in there in that list, I wonder if they even know that this whole thing just came up! would be funny if it was their boyfriends that used the comps and they have no knowledge of what happened. ofcourse vice-versa is equally likely, ahem! I shoudl add!

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 11:52 PM

Contrary to popular belief Taping Radio, TV, and Rented movies for your private viewing pleasure is NOT illegal... it IS illegal though and you CAN be prosecuted if you sell those copies or publicly air them.

Mac Guru

Plaides
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2003, 12:00 AM

riaa can suck a big fat one if you ask me... for riaa for file sharing
~plaid...

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2003, 12:15 AM

Hmmm, I'm not on the list.
Kinda gives me mixed feelings. Sure, it's a relief, but I also feel... disappointed. Slighted. Neglected.
Makes me want to share more files.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by Larrys_Larynx:
would be funny if it was their boyfriends that used the comps and they have no knowledge of what happened. ofcourse vice-versa is equally likely, ahem! I shoudl add!
Interesting, this is a very likely defense. How do they prove you were the one sitting in front of the keyboard...
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by dtriska:
No, it's not. This was brought up in Canada a couple of years ago when the government expanded that tax on blank media (the money's supposed to go to artists or something).

Basically, the tax was imposed on blank media in the 1980s to appease the recording industry, artists, etc. It was expanded to CD-Rs and the like recently. So, you're allowed to tape songs off the radio as long as it's for personal, non-commercial use.

Of course, this is Canada I'm talking about; I don't know US law in this respect.
ok ok I was wrong! I'll admit it. I was always led to believe it was illegal.

Chris

Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 12:45 AM

ok ok I was wrong! I'll admit it. I was always led to believe it was illegal.

Chris
No, you want illegal! Ripping tags off mattresses is illegal!

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2003, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/s...484600,00.html
I was thinking about this stuff tonight (forgive me, I've had a bit to drink) and here's what I thought. Since a user's rights are not clearly printed on the media (something beyond "unauthorized duplication"), how can the RIAA say what is unauthorized or not? Someone please enlighten me...

turboSPE

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 01:16 AM

that crack is wack!

Dare I post the RIAA cartoon again?!!

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 01:23 AM

This is ridiculous. Seriouisly, people need to start fire bombing the RIAA. It just ISNT RIGHT, to fine someone 12,000 for copying a song.
You and I seem to have the same sort of mindset on this issue. The RIAA is making things personal now. Very personal. How long is it going to be before they sue the wrong unstable person who decides to try and take out the entire company. How much damage could a company suffer before they give up? How many dead executives does it take to cripple a company beyond salvage.

I'm not suggesting a course of action, but there are people out there who have no qualms about doing evil things to evil people.

How much longer is the American public going to stand being sh1t on by a corporation. The revolutionary war was started over much lesser injustices by a tyranical GOVERNMENT. The fact that we sit and do nothing while a single COMPANY does this to us is disgusting.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2003, 01:27 AM

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2003, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by RAzaRazor:
You and I seem to have the same sort of mindset on this issue. The RIAA is making things personal now. Very personal. How long is it going to be before they sue the wrong unstable person who decides to try and take out the entire company. How much damage could a company suffer before they give up? How many dead executives does it take to cripple a company beyond salvage.

I'm not suggesting a course of action, but there are people out there who have no qualms about doing evil things to evil people.

How much longer is the American public going to stand being sh1t on by a corporation. The revolutionary war was started over much lesser injustices by a tyranical GOVERNMENT. The fact that we sit and do nothing while a single COMPANY does this to us is disgusting.

Sooooooo, violent crimes against a non-violent corporation is the way to solve problems in the year 2003? I don't think they are being fair with their law suits, but it's not like they are going out and cutting your fingers off if you trade an mp3... Yet..

Chris

Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 01:30 AM

"Have you ever wondered why that "do not remove under penalty of law" tag is on mattresses & pillows? Admit it, you have. Who hasn't?

It's there to protect you! It tells you exactly what's inside your mattress or pillow. It also lets you know if the manufacter is registered with all the approprite government agencies and stuff. And if you look closely at those tags you'll notice that it says "do not remove under penalty of law EXCEPT by consumer."

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 01:34 AM

Sooooooo, violent crimes against a non-violent corporation is the way to solve problems in the year 2003? I don't think they are being fair with their law suits, but it's not like they are going out and cutting your fingers off if you trade an mp3... Yet..

Chris
So, reading COMPREHENSION obviously isn't your thing.
I wasn't suggesting that it was right, or that it should happen. Merely that if they piss off the wrong person, it probably will happen.

Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2003, 01:38 AM

hehehheheheheheeh

inside joke ;-)

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 07:37 AM

turboSPE--
Since a user's rights are not clearly printed on the media (something beyond "unauthorized duplication"), how can the RIAA say what is unauthorized or not?
Well, RIAA can authorize or fail to authorize anything that they please. Generally no one cares. Your rights in that work are set out by law (17 USC) though the way that it's written out, generally you should interpret your rights as being anything not, at the time, that's exclusively the right of the artist, accounting for all the limitations to that exclusivity.

Alternatively, you can always contract for it, but this is a) rare, b) VERY prone to abuse, c) of dubious legality, e.g. as in software licensure, d) certainly contrary to copyright policy goals if widespread, and e) not currently a factor with regards to CDs et al.

So I wouldn't worry about that.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2003, 09:29 AM

As a general rule, US Copyright Law states that (paraphrased)

Copyrighted material may be copied w/o consent for personal, non-commercial and/or educational use but MAY NOT be distributed to other persons... but its considered good form to get permission if you can

So - via this you CAN have copies of YOUR cds on your computer(s) but cannot distribute them to joe-six-pack via the net. Any stuff the ARTIST puts on the net (I.e. MP3.com) is completely fair game as stated above... just don't sell it.

Just DON'T try selling the stuff... or the copyright holder can & will land on you like a ton of crap... in court

--

And yeah... the RIAA is a bloody dinosaur that should just slink off and sink into the cosmic tarpit of bad music... (i.e. bubblePop)

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:

So - via this you CAN have copies of YOUR cds on your computer(s) but cannot distribute them to joe-six-pack via the net. Any stuff the ARTIST puts on the net (I.e. MP3.com) is completely fair game as stated above... just don't sell it.
Exactly. This is why I think it is disgusting that CD's come with copy protection so that I can't even move a song to my iPod. I don't think THEY have the right.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2003, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Exactly. This is why I think it is disgusting that CD's come with copy protection so that I can't even move a song to my iPod. I don't think THEY have the right.
I bought yet ANOTHER CD with copy protection last week. F*cking amazon.co.uk doesn't tell you on the site about it, so I get the thing and SORRY, this won't play on your computet at work. Oddly enough, even with the directory scambling, my Mac played it perfectly.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2003, 01:18 PM

**** you. You're not PAYING FOR THE MUSIC. You're not PAYING FOR THE INFORMATION. Think about it.

1. You spend 13 bucks on a CD. About 1 dollar goes to the musicians.

2. If I scratch my CD, is it legal for me to have a copied MP3 version of that same album on my HD? Technically, I bought the CD, and I had access to the info(music), and the RIAA claims that I was merely purchasing rights to it. So isn't it RIGHT for me to have the MP3s? No, according to them.

**** the RIAA. The PUNISHMENT SHOULD FIT THE CRIME, and this clearly does NOT.

- Rob

PS: I almost feel like d/l music and going to court with these *******s. You guys know I can argue. >

1. how do you know how much money goes to the musicians? why do you care? are you willing to send a couple dollars straight to the musicians house for every album of theirs you download since you seem to care for their plight so much? fact remains - even if they are only getting a dollar per album, they signed that deal themselves.

2. yes. there is law that says you are allowed to make a copy of an album you purchased for "personal use". this doesnt have anythign to do with file sharing or making copies for friends etc. if the RIAA is trying to argue this point, they are wrong and it will never hold up in court. those file swappers on their list on the other hand....

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 24, 2003, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
are you willing to send a couple dollars straight to the musicians house for every album of theirs you download since you seem to care for their plight so much?
That's actually what I'd like to do, and I think something like it would be possible with the internet. If everything moves to online distribution, I would think that the role of the record companies as distributors and promoters would shrink quite a bit (and this is what they have been afraid of). Unfortunately it is true that even the iTunes music store is more of an extension of the old system, but they do seem to be willing to give independent artists a chance, so that may level the playing field to some degree.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 01:59 PM

I think that the RIAA is well within its rights going after individual file swappers. I'd rather see them going after individuals who do the sharing than see them trying to outlaw certain technologies. I do think they are certainly overplaying their hand. If it keeps going down this road, the association will start casting a wider and wider net, and more and more citizens will be treated like criminals just for using technology. And the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing doesn't seem to apply to people whose alledged illegal activities have to do with technology...

Sure, right now they're supposedly only going after big file sharers, but there are all sorts of other directons they can go in. They've already fined businesses who permit MP3 servers on their internal networks, and sued students who have developed distributed file search algorithms (and settled for his life savings, how kind of them), all without firm evidence of the people involved trading a single song. How much longer will it be before they can get warrants to search the computers of suspected file traders, and recover "evidence" that can be trumped up into bigger charges?

I have five or six MP3 CD-R's here at work right now. There's no way to tell by looking whether I obtained them illegally or not (They are legal, if you were worried). How long will it be until the RIAA suspects illicit file trading at my place of employment, and a company-wide sweep discovers these discs? Will I be presumed innocent, like I would be if I killed somone? Will I get a chance to explain that they're legal before I have to spend lots and lots of money on a lawyer (and possibly be out of a job)? It seems like murderers have more rights than people who use MP3's.

I sure hope that there's a revolt sometime soon, before people get used to being treated like criminals. It doesn't have to be violent, except maybe to the RIAA members' balance sheets....
(edit: you do realize that the RIAA are an Association of American Recording Industry companies, and not a single company, right?)
( Last edited by dreilly1; Jul 24, 2003 at 02:20 PM. )

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2003, 02:01 PM

So, reading COMPREHENSION obviously isn't your thing.
I wasn't suggesting that it was right, or that it should happen. Merely that if they piss off the wrong person, it probably will happen.

Hey, I didnt attack you, so why did you have to try and attack me? Your post made it look as if you supported these actions, maybe you need to make your posts clearer.

See, when you say:

"You and I seem to have the same sort of mindset on this issue" in regards to someone saying the RIAA needs to be bombed, what else is one to conclude? I know you said you had no course of action, but obviously you want something bad to happen to them.

Why is it that people must make EVERYTHING a personal attack nowadays? I was just making a simple comment, not really directed at anyone specifically, moreso at the thread, then I get my 'reading comprehension' questioned. God, grow up already.

Chris

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
I think that the RIAA is well within its rights going after individual file swappers. I'd rather see them going after individuals who do the sharing than see them trying to outlaw certain technologies. I do think they are certainly overplaying their hand. If it keeps going down this road, the association will start casting a wider and wider net, and more and more citizens will be treated like criminals just for using technology. And the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing doesn't seem to apply to people whose alledged illegal activities have to do with technology...

Yes, right now they are within their rights. They are streching them to the breaking point, and will soon move beyond their rights.

My biggest problem with the RIAA is when they try to push though laws like the one that would make copyright infringement a FELONY. Suddenly because they got a bug up their ass about this, copyright infringement is going from a civil matter to a criminal matter. A very serious criminal matter.

Companies are not allowed to make laws. Instead, they just buy them.

Beewee
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 03:50 PM

$12,000 to settle and a college student no less. As if the guy didn't have enough financial problems. I've downloaded music off the internet before; just to enjoy it and not have to pay...BUT now I'm doing it for a reason! I'm doing it for all of those File sharers out there, I'm doing it for the American...nay the World Dream of getting something for nothing.

So the next time you enter a music store to look at you favorite album I emplore you to walk home and download that album; share it with your friends, your family and strangers. Don't do it for me...do it for "$12,000 college student who got fined guy" do it for everyone on "The List" do it for humanity.

This is the cry of the people, we will not bow down before the souless corporate machine.

The drums of war have sounded... REVOLUTION!

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Beewee:
The drums of war have sounded... REVOLUTION!
Damn right ! RIAA...Blow me ! I buy A cd every week (�), but I still download stuff that I like a littebit but that I don't want to buy. Actually I would like to know more about the powers that the RIAA has in Europe. Anyone knows anything about it ?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2003, 04:44 PM

Hmmm... It seems this will work to a small extent at least. It's pretty obvious even from this thread that the end user is now listening.

Plus it makes Ca$h mad so it must be good. J/K

Anyways, it would also help if the record companies got off their assets to develop better ways of delivery. Oh wait, Teh Steve already did their work for them.

In the meantime I continue to convert all of my CDs to MP3. I'm up past 30 GB now and counting.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2003, 05:41 PM

Personally, I'd rather see the RIAA going after individual file "swappers" rather than pushing the industry to use copy protected CDs that prevent honest people from ripping their legally purchased CDs. I really have no sympathy for anyone who gets caught up in a lawsuit with the RIAA. They warned people all over the media that they were going to do this. They even sent messages to people using the Kazaa software itself that what they were doing was illegal. So you had to be living under a rock to not know that the RIAA was about to lay the smack down in court. But as the old saying goes ....

"Some people don't believe that fat meat's greasy!"

Well when those subpoenas start showing up in their mailboxes, you can rest assured that they will "believe" then.

OAW

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 05:58 PM

Can they do the same in Canada?

I don't swap songs and I've never bought a cd in my entire life. Yes, thats right, I am a leech.

Have they said exactly how they are getting these IP addresses of the people?
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2003, 06:11 PM

only if you do it before it is sold (IE ripping them off at the store)

-Owl

permanent68
Banned
Jul 24, 2003, 06:26 PM

but there are people out there who have no qualms about doing evil things to evil people.
DING DING DING! That'd be me. Bring it RIAA. I'm way more twisted/evil/demented than any of your petty court cases.

- Ca$h

permanent68
Banned
Jul 24, 2003, 06:30 PM

You know what I'd think would be great?

An mpeg of EVERY STUDENT AT AN ENTIRE UNIVERSITY madly encoding their CDs, swapping them, and trading music, along with them all saying "**** YOU RIAA!" emailed to them, and posted all over the net.

- Rob

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2003, 06:48 PM

You know what I'd think would be great?

An mpeg of EVERY STUDENT AT AN ENTIRE UNIVERSITY madly encoding their CDs, swapping them, and trading music, along with them all saying "**** YOU RIAA!" emailed to them, and posted all over the net.

- Rob
I'm sure this would do a lot of good. What do you want? To hurt their feelings? Give me a break.

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 06:55 PM

http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/s...484600,00.html
"www.k_lite.tk_Kazaa_Lite@Kazaa"

Apparently I'll have to be leaving the country...

...ALONG WITH A METRIC ****TON OF OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE SAME DAMN NAME CAUSE IT'S THE DEFAULT ON KAZAA LITE.

GG RIAA, bloody wankers.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 07:28 PM

Wow... some of those are just default names (and no Gnutella names and I thought they were getting names from there) Start leaving the country in droves.

Forum Links
Forum Rules