Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > so I'm buying two new BMWs...

so I'm buying two new BMWs...
Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2003, 08:38 PM

...one to sh|t on, and one to cover it up with.

I'll keep my suburban any day... at least, until i move to the UK! It's a bit too large.

before this thread gets locked, does anyone else have anything to add?

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2003, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Michael_Jackson:
before this thread gets locked, does anyone else have anything to add?
Yeah... what's the point of posting a worthless thread like this... did your mom not give you enough attention as a child?
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

Michael_Jackson  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2003, 08:41 PM

I wonder if I should "+1" my own thread...

+1

docbud
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2003, 08:43 PM

I drive a Jeep Wrangler.

Michael_Jackson  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2003, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by docbud:
I drive a Jeep Wrangler.
put some surfboards in the back of that thing and it becomes a veritable boy magnet.. or girl magnet, if that's your thing

docbud
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2003, 08:54 PM

girl magnet

With my 33 inch tires, I drive over BMWs.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 5, 2003, 09:02 PM

I had a BMW once. It was fantastic. Come, gather round me, while I tell you the story.

I was taking some extra credits at a local university over the summer, and one of my classmates said he needed some help paying his bills. He was a likable guy, and generally decent.

So I offered to help him, and asked what he could do for me in exchange. Now, he drove an early 80s Chevy pickup, and said that he had an extra car he didn't drive. He'd sign the title over to me for the cash to pay his phone bill.

I agreed, and drove home a 1981 320iS. Perhaps you don't remember the 320iS. Recaro racing seats from the factory, recaro steering wheel, limited slip differential, independent rear suspension, RWD, close-ratio 5-spd. The thing hauled.

Course, I drove it home with large clouds of white smoke out the tailpipes-- the head gasket was bridged between the middle two cylinders, so I was pouring water from the water jacket straight into the cylinders. I brought her home, milled the head, replaced two valves, and reassembled.

I drove it about 2000 miles around the country, brought it back home and sold it for $1300.

And that, my friends, is the story of the Hundred-Dollar-BMW.

Would I own one again? Sure. It was fun to drive. Was it as special as some other marques? Not really. Would I like an old 6-series? sure.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

docbud
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2003, 09:08 PM

vmarks

I've only known one person who had a BMW, and he loves 'em. I personally think they're ugly, but I've been told it's a style thing.

Don't matter to me. BMW, Jeep, Ford, Chevy, Honda, Toyota,...whatever you like and want to drive.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 10:16 PM

My chauffer and my trophy wife prefer my fleet of Lincoln Towncar limousines. My kids (muffy and buffy) always say "Gee dad, those cars are swell!!"

MikeM

kenikov
Banned
Aug 5, 2003, 10:18 PM

I want a Jeep Liberty!

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2003, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by MikeM33:
My chauffer and my trophy wife prefer my fleet of Lincoln Towncar limousines. My kids (muffy and buffy) always say "Gee dad, those cars are swell!!"

MikeM
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by MikeM33:

MikeM
dude my chauffeur prefers that car too, bithcin

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 6, 2003, 12:24 AM

My dad had a nice BMW once.

I like his 928 better

RGB
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by docbud:
vmarks

I've only known one person who had a BMW, and he loves 'em. I personally think they're ugly, but I've been told it's a style thing.

Don't matter to me. BMW, Jeep, Ford, Chevy, Honda, Toyota,...whatever you like and want to drive.
Come to my part of the country and you'd be in for a shock. Every family that doesn't have a Camry or an Accord has a BMW. They're everywhere. Feels like they have much more than a 5% marketshare.

JC Denton
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2003, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by RGB:
Come to my part of the country and you'd be in for a shock. Every family that doesn't have a Camry or an Accord has a BMW. They're everywhere. Feels like they have much more than a 5% marketshare.
Umm, how near is "near" Chicago? North Shore? NW Suburbs? Because here in the city, BMWs aren't that plentiful...and I live on the North Side.

Maybe the suburbanites prefer taking the Metra in instead of driving in their luxury imports?

RGB
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by JC Denton:
Umm, how near is "near" Chicago? North Shore? NW Suburbs? Because here in the city, BMWs aren't that plentiful...and I live on the North Side.

Maybe the suburbanites prefer taking the Metra in instead of driving in their luxury imports?
NW burbs / North Shore. You got it

Last summer when I was spending a lot of time around Lake Bluff, I saw at least one Ferarri every two days. I've probably seen 15 Vipers this summer in my local travels.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 07:23 AM

Where, I live they throw the BMWs, Mercedeses, Porshes, Audis etc. at your head. Everybody has them. We have a 7-series and 3-series too. Damn capitalists.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 09:11 AM

I drive a saturn. I'm happy with it. The people are coming for you soon, you faux aristocratic elitist capitalist pig dogs.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 09:34 AM

I drive a Land Rover Series IIA. With a canvas roof. Ancient monster of a car. Consumes oil like other cars petrol. Just because it feels like it. Slow and uneconomical. 40 years old, but starts every day, come rain, snowstorm, heat wave.
The neighbours have me under close scrutiny because I usually drive it open, whatever the weather. You can clean the car with a garden hose, both outside and on the inside. There are drainage holes for just that purpose.
It has got no creature comforts worth mentioning. Except heating and that was an optional extra when it was build. The stereo is my ipod and powered speakers lashed to the bulkhead.
It looks dented and scratched to buggery from the outside but is mechanically 100% sound on the inside. I like it like that.
It can't rust because the body panels are made from aluminium.
It can go virtually anywhere I want it to go. Beaches, forests, river wading. Up mountains, through deserts. It has done all of the above. Children, cats and dogs love it. So do spiders. At the last count there were 5 different species living in it. And the neighbour's cat. She has a nest in the old blanket I keep in the back for that purpose. It smells of engine oil and canvas.

The girl drives a VW Golf. Air-conditioned, power steered comfortable. Useful but bland.

We take the Landy when we want to enjoy the ride. We take the Golf if we actually need to go somewhere fast.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 6, 2003, 10:20 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 18, 2004 at 12:14 AM. )

permanent68
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by RGB:
Ding ding ding!

Okay, count the number of BMW 3 series you see in a day... then count the number of 911s...

- Rob

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 6, 2003, 11:40 AM

Yeah, there are lots of stupidly expensive race cars around here too (New York) -- and I say stupid because you obviously can't drive fast at all in the city. BMWs show up pretty frequently and some friends have them; I have actually seen Porsche 911s in the city, but obviously far fewer. The most insane thing was probably a neon orange Lamborghini Diablo parked in front of the Plaza. WTF?
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by permanent68:
Ding ding ding!

Okay, count the number of BMW 3 series you see in a day... then count the number of 911s...
Dude, aren't you EVER through harping?

No. Body. Cares.

The ex-g/f has a BMW 316i compact. While it's rather pointless for me - kitty litter and catfood could just as easily be hauled in a smart, and as a keyboard player, a station or van would be *much* more suitable - it *is* fun to drive, even with just the 110 horsepower.

Talk about out of character, though - the car definitely isn't "me".

No matter though - she's the ex, though she lets me borrow, and she's selling soon.

-s*

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
I drive a Land Rover Series IIA. With a canvas roof. Ancient monster of a car. Consumes oil like other cars petrol. Just because it feels like it. Slow and uneconomical. 40 years old, but starts every day, come rain, snowstorm, heat wave.
The neighbours have me under close scrutiny because I usually drive it open, whatever the weather. You can clean the car with a garden hose, both outside and on the inside. There are drainage holes for just that purpose.
It has got no creature comforts worth mentioning. Except heating and that was an optional extra when it was build. The stereo is my ipod and powered speakers lashed to the bulkhead.
It looks dented and scratched to buggery from the outside but is mechanically 100% sound on the inside. I like it like that.
It can go virtually anywhere I want it to go. Beaches, forests, river wading. Up mountains, through deserts. It has done all of the above. Children, cats and dogs love it. So do spiders. At the last count there were 5 different species living in it. And the neighbour's cat. She has a nest in the old blanket I keep in the back for that purpose. It smells of engine oil and canvas.

The girl drives a VW Golf. Air-conditioned, power steered comfortable. Useful but bland.

We take the Landy when we want to enjoy the ride. We take the Golf if we actually need to go somewhere fast.
Someday, I'll have a Landy myself...

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 01:50 PM

Aluminum can still corrodes , and aren't the frames still made out of steel? At least my friends dads is, its an old 72ish safari landy, its the station wagon style with the fold down seats. I am not knocking Landys i would love to own a 4 seater with a canvas top, there was one around here that was decked out in flat black and brown, almost a military camo paint job, i always stared as i drove by it

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

RGB
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 03:07 PM

Ding ding ding!

- Rob
A few a week.

kenikov
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 03:10 PM

Where, I live they throw the BMWs, Mercedeses, Porshes, Audis etc. at your head. Everybody has them. We have a 7-series and 3-series too. Damn capitalists.
Nothing wrong with being a capitalist, if you are rich.

If you live in richmond B.C., you either see Toyota Corrola, Honda Civic or Porsche, BMW, Land Rover, Mercedes, Audis. All driven by rich asians.

Like I said, if a couple of 16-year old Asians roll by in a brand new Porsche, don't be surprised.

Most of them can't drive though, since they are from Hong Kong where you are stuck in traffic all day. They struggle to make a right turn.

Most of the Asians that have been living in Canada awhile rock at driving though...ME.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 6, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by kenikov:
Capitalism isn't only good for the rich- it's good for those who aspire to get rich, because it enables them to do so.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

kenikov
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 04:09 PM

Indeed.

permanent68
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 04:11 PM

Indeed.
Or if your parents have enough money they could pay for a new car for you even though you're still a full time student. Then the spoiled kid could pretend he bought it himself and look down on everyone else who's parents don't buy them everything.

- Rob

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 6, 2003, 04:20 PM

Or if your parents have enough money they could pay for a new car for you even though you're still a full time student.
And there's nothing wrong with this. Every generation has tried to give their children the things that their parents couldn't.

Then the spoiled kid could pretend he bought it himself and look down on everyone else who's parents don't buy them everything.
- Rob
Now you're just being critical of behavior on the part of the child. That's indicative of poor parenting, but it doesn't mean that giving the child a car is the root of the problem- if that's the behavior the child shows, the problem started WAY before the child ever got old enough to get behind the wheel.

So again, the problem isn't with capitalism. It's with parents who spoil their children. Giving a car to a child isn't necessarily spoiling them, if they've been raised right.

Will I give my child a car? Probably not, although my wife and I still discuss the matter. Would I encourage my child to get a job and buy a used car? Sure.

permanent68
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 04:58 PM

I don't have a problem buying a car for your kid. I do have a problem with spoiled kids who get really nice cars without appreciating them, ala Sean Yepez. He has an M3. He knows nothing about cars. It's just not right.

And then we have this Ken guy. Obviously his parents bought him a nice new BMW. Fine. But him 'pretending' to have bought it all by himself, and worked so hard for it? Bullshit. And even worse, him looking down on others who's parents didn't buy them everything? Pathetic.

- Rob

kenikov
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 05:33 PM

Where did Sean Yepez mention his Beemer?

I missed it.

permanent68
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 05:42 PM

Where did Sean Yepez mention his Beemer?

I missed it.
A while ago. But don't take my word for it; remember, I bought my own car, so I guess my word isn't worth as much as yours.

- Rob

tikki
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 06:12 PM

verdict: ca$h is insanely jealous because his parents didn't buy him a shiny new BMW. grow up please.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

permanent68
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by tikki:
verdict: ca$h is insanely jealous because his parents didn't buy him a shiny new BMW. grow up please.
Wrong. I don't care if parents bought their kids Ferraris.

What I'm sick of is the Ferrari kid claiming to have worked so hard for it, and the whole 'bought it myself and pulled myself up by my bootstraps' crap. It's ****ing annoying. There's a 'private' college near me. The student lot is filled with new BMWs, Lexuses, whatever. WHo cares. But when those kids try to tell me they EARNED those cars by working for them?! BULLSHIT! THEIR PARENTS BOUGHT THEM! ADMIT IT! I admit my mom helps me with tuition, and sometimes she'll give me some spending money once in a while, and I'm not ashamed of it.

- Rob

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
The people are coming for you soon, you faux aristocratic elitist capitalist pig dogs.
Heh, the old smokescreen

but you've got to start with the real aristocratic elitist capitalist pig dogs first, before you move on to the faux ones
works every time.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 6, 2003, 06:50 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 17, 2004 at 04:04 PM. )

Michael_Jackson  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2003, 07:53 PM

If you live in richmond B.C., you either see Toyota Corrola, Honda Civic or Porsche, BMW, Land Rover, Mercedes, Audis. All driven by rich asians.

Like I said, if a couple of 16-year old Asians roll by in a brand new Porsche, don't be surprised.

Most of them can't drive though, since they are from Hong Kong where you are stuck in traffic all day. They struggle to make a right turn.

Most of the Asians that have been living in Canada awhile rock at driving though...ME.

It doesn't take flashcards to tell that this equation equals nouveau riches.

kenikov
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 09:16 PM

What I'm sick of is the Ferrari kid claiming to have worked so hard for it, and the whole 'bought it myself and pulled myself up by my bootstraps' crap. It's ****ing annoying. There's a 'private' college near me. The student lot is filled with new BMWs, Lexuses, whatever. WHo cares. But when those kids try to tell me they EARNED those cars by working for them?! BULLSHIT! THEIR PARENTS BOUGHT THEM! ADMIT IT! I admit my mom helps me with tuition, and sometimes she'll give me some spending money once in a while, and I'm not ashamed of it.
In the US, most of the good Universities/Colleges are private.

According to USNews the best University that offers up to PhD that is public would be UCB (ranked 20th overall). The rest are all private. Most of the people here probably go to Private University.

I did work for my BMW. I am a good scholar, the better scholar I am, the more happy my parents are. The happier they are, the better mood their in. BESIDES, what is the big deal, I NEED a car to get around. Sheesh, is it a crime to own a friken' car?

Stop peeing your pants already. If you're jealous just admit it, or move on.

permanent68
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 04:13 PM

There is no crime in 'owning' a car. However, if your parents buy you a fancy brand new BMW, don't pretend you worked for it. It pisses me off. You aren't god's gift to this world. You are not 4,000 times more intelligent than I. You don't work harder than I do. You are not a superior person. So quit pretending like you're more intelligent, work harder, and superior.... I bought my own car, so f*ck off brat.

- Rob

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 04:15 PM

Rob...

...he's been banned. He can't read any of this. Chill, Winston.

permanent68
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 04:17 PM

Rob...

...he's been banned. He can't read any of this. Chill, Winston.
He still pisses me off. I f*cking hate brats like that.

OOO my daddy bought me a new 30k+ car, but I'll pretend I worked really hard for it on my own!

**** YOU! YOU DID NOT! YOUR PARENTS BOUGHT IT FOR YOU! QUIT PRETENDING!

I don't understand why people are ashamed of recieving some help. I'm not. I'm grateful.

- Rob

Edit: Cool quote! Lock Stock rocks!!!!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 04:22 PM

Have you bought that 911 yet btw? It would make a lovely wedding gift, you know...

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 04:25 PM

Mmm, I like my A4 It's very refined and comfortable but still fun to drive. Will never drive anything except a standard... maybe Audi's new dual-gear paddle-shifter (DSG). It keeps two gears engaged at the same time so shifts are immediate. What I really want but could never afford is the new V8 S4. *drool*

My friend restored a '70s BMW, can't remember the model number. The car is gorgeous and a lot of fun to drive too

permanent68
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 04:36 PM

I'd like to. But right now 2 cars would be stupid. In about a year, perhaps Kristin will have the 911.

Older BMWs can be nice, but lets face it. A 911 is a 911. A bmw is just a car.

- Rob

Michael_Jackson  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2003, 09:30 PM

I'd like to. But right now 2 cars would be stupid. In about a year, perhaps Kristin will have the 911.
I'm just curious.. do you have any pictures of this car? I wanna see it if it's possible

permanent68
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Michael_Jackson:
I'm just curious.. do you have any pictures of this car? I wanna see it if it's possible
Pictures of what car? The 911? What's not possible about it?

- Rob

Michael_Jackson  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2003, 12:56 AM

Pictures of what car? The 911? What's not possible about it?

- Rob
yes, the 911. I wasn't sure whether or not you had taken any pictures of it

Sealobo
Aug 8, 2003, 01:13 AM

Older BMWs can be nice, but lets face it. A 911 is a 911. A bmw is just a car.

- Rob
A 911 is a 911... which will always has the weight distribution messed up because the engine is located at the wrong position. =P

One observation: you see the trend is long wheelbase + short front/rear overhangs for the "sportscar" populace cuz you wanna minimize the weight transfer leverage... But you will never see this happen on a 911 as long as its engine stays rear-mounted. If you look at the car from the side, you might think to yourself "hmm why the 911's front and rear wheels are so close to each other..." Even an IS300 has longer wheelbase...

My last BMW has 50/50 weight distribution plus long wheelbase short overhangs. It might not mean much in daily driving condition but if you track your ride you know how important it is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules