Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My new notebook

My new notebook
kenikov
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 04:46 PM

After research, I have just purchased a new notebook to go along with my iBook.

The Panasonic W2, pretty cool eh?

http://www.dynamism.com/w2/index.shtml

This can't even be bought in the US, I just ordered it!

I suggest the rest of you take a look at those notebooks. They are really cool and are way more worth the money than the Powerbooks.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 04:51 PM

Except it runs windows...

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 04:53 PM

They have a couple of notebooks on closeout! They were much more expensive before.

I will run them under Linux, probably SuSE or Mandrake.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 05:13 PM

and it is twice the price of a pb 12"

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 05:15 PM

2x better though.

What is it with your hatred towards Windows XP? What has it done to YOU?

permanent68
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 05:16 PM

DAMN! Those are pretty cool. I currently have a Sony SR17k, 2.98 lbs, but only 700mhz and no internal CD drive. >shrug< Mine cost me 800 though, 1 year ago.

- Rob

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 05:17 PM

whoa a Centrino, that thing is gonna be bitchin. i would have paid over 3K for that beast,

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by kenikov:
I suggest the rest of you take a look at those notebooks. They are really cool and are way more worth the money than the Powerbooks.

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 05:19 PM

I would like to know how well Linux runs on a Panasonic Laptop. Besides Toughbooks I've never really heard much about Panasonic laptops.

I hear Linux works perfectly well on Dell and IBM.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 05:20 PM

2x better though.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 05:24 PM

Look at the name of the forum you posted it on.

While you can suddenly go on about people here being dignified and understanding... this IS a mac forum and while that's a nice laptop.. it's still probably going to spend it's life running windows xp.

Thus.. nobody likes it.
Aloha

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 05:28 PM

Windows isn't the only OS that can run a PC

permanent68
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 05:44 PM

Windows isn't the only OS that can run a PC
Yeah it depends on what OS your parents buy you with it.

- Rob

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 05:56 PM

I don't think I could bring myself to pay that kind of money to run linux. What can you do with Linux other than server type stuff?

I'll stick with my macs. That is a lovely machine though.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 6, 2003, 06:12 PM

I will run them under Linux, probably SuSE or Mandrake.
Okay. If you really want to run Linux, then why not just run it on your iBook?

Most of my friends who bought iBooks bought them for that very purpose.

You make no sense.

permanent68
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 06:25 PM

Windows 2000 isn't that bad. I have it on the sony and its useable. I like OS9 better, but hey. >shrug<

- Rob

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 06:40 PM

I don't think I could bring myself to pay that kind of money to run linux. What can you do with Linux other than server type stuff?

You don't know much about Linux do you? It can do more than Mac OS X.

Okay. If you really want to run Linux, then why not just run it on your iBook?

Most of my friends who bought iBooks bought them for that very purpose.
I run Mac OS X on my iBook. Your friends make no sense.

The Panasonic runs Windows and I would not like my computer to solely run on Windows since I prefer Linux on a PC.

Why would I replace OS X with Linux when I bought a Mac to use it? I don't really like Windows but I have no major issues against it, I would just rather use Linux.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 6, 2003, 06:54 PM

I run Mac OS X on my iBook. Your friends make no sense.

The Panasonic runs Windows and I would not like my computer to solely run on Windows since I prefer Linux on a PC.

Why would I replace OS X with Linux when I bought a Mac to use it? I don't really like Windows but I have no major issues against it, I would just rather use Linux.

I guess you're never heard of this new feature in computers. They call it "dual boot".

Yes. You can run Linux and Mac OS X on the same computer.

Uh. Just like you want to run Linux and WinXP on the same computer.

Whoa!

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 06:57 PM

Yes, most people are pro-Mac here (clears throat and whispers, "It IS a Mac neighborhood, Kenikov") but that's a nice PC machine, yes. Very nice. The way that they dealt with the DVD/CD drive is very innovative. MUCH better than Apple's slot-loading drives that seem to get a disk stuck in them every so often. Also, can't load the 3-inch mini-CDs in the slot-loading drives either -- which blows. Those little CDs are awesome to send through the mail or leave as CD business cards, etc.

Anyway, yes, it's nice and hope you enjoy it.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 07:20 PM

lipstick.smears
Aug 6, 2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by permanent68:
Yeah it depends on what OS your parents buy you with it.

- Rob
HAHAHA My thoughts exactly

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Yeah, I'm gonna jump in and double that one up.

Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Yeah, I'm gonna jump in and double that one up.

Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 08:01 PM

2x better though.

I'll compare the 1Ghz 12" TiBook to this.

Processor:
TiBook:
1 GHz G4
Centrino:
900 Mhz Centrino

1 GHz G4 beats 900 Mhz Centrino

Cache:
TiBook:
256 k L2
Centrino:
1 MB L2

Centrino beats the TiBook here.

RAM:
TiBook:
up to 640 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
Centrino
up to 512 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM

TiBook can hold 128 MB more of the same memory, not much a differnce though. Couldn't find bus speed on Centrino, but TiBook is effectively 266.

HD:
TiBook:
40 GB Ultra ATA/100
Centrino:
40GB Ultra ATA/100

Same.

Screen:
TiBook:
12.1" XGA TFT upto 1024x768
Centrino:
12.1" XGA TFT upto 1024x768

Same.

Graphics Unit:
TiBook:
NVIDIA GEForce4 420 Go w. 32 MB DDR SDRAM
Centrino:
Silicon Motion Lynx 3DM w. 64 MB shared memory

The TiBook wins here. The TiBook uses real VRAM and not shared memory as in the Centrino. Plus the Centrino is using a rare brand of graphics card... I am extremely confident that the NVIDIA GeForce4 420 will win in a benchmark.

Soundcard:
TiBook:
Some 16 bit thing on the TiBook
Centrino:
Sound Blaster type thing

The Centrino wins here, cus I am taking this as it can do multi-channel audio.

Optical Drive:
TiBook: (combo drive)
CD-RW at 24x/24x/10x (read/write/rewrite)
DVD-ROM at 8x (read)
Centrino: (combo drive)
CD-RW: 24x/16x/10x (read/write/rewrite)
DVD-ROM at 8x (read).

The TiBook wins here for the slot loading, and for the faster write speed for CD-Rs. Though it's not a huge deal, it's significant.

Battery Life:
TiBook:
up to 5 hours
Centrino:
up to 7.5 hours

Size and Weight:
On the TiBook:
Height: 1.18 inch (3.0 cm)
Width: 10.9 inches (27.7 cm)
Depth: 8.6 inches (21.9 cm)
Weight: 4.6 pounds (2.1 kg) with battery and optical drive installed
Centrino:
Height: 1.63 (4.15 cm)
Width: 10.6 inches (26.8 cm)
Depth: 8.2 inches (20.9 cm)
Weight: 2.8 lbs (I don't know if that's with the battery and such though, I bet it isn't)

Here, they are very comparible. Dimensions are a tad smaller on TiBook, not really that significant. I doubt the 2.8 lbs on the Centrino includes the battery. So, in terms of weight I would say they are both also similar.

Okay, so the TiBook wins in terms of performance specs. They are similar in terms of size and weight. The Centrino wins for battery life.

How the heck is the Centrino 2x's better? WTF??

Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2003, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
How the heck is the Centrino 2x's better? WTF??
because it costs twice as much!

Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 08:10 PM

Um, no it can't. And if you think it can, prove it.

Anything that can run on Linux can be compiled for PPC, and run under X11. It will work. (but as with any port, you might have to fiddle around.. but this is the nature of using anything *nix.. lots of freaking fiddling around to get stuff to work, even on Linux.. *cough*mail server*cough*)

OS X is just Unix, a Unix with a nice GUI slapped on top, and whole bunch of nice libraries, and other things, but still, fundamentally Unix.

But hey! Don't get me wrong.. your new purchase is pretty sweet. It's an excellent PC compliment to your iBook, nice choice.. I like it, but I would end up getting a TiBook, because I don't have any notebook, and am primarily a mac user.
( Last edited by 11011001; Aug 6, 2003 at 08:44 PM. )

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 09:09 PM

1101100, you were wrong right off the bat. Are you really stupid enough to believe a G4 can beat Cetrino? Cetrino has the G4 on battery-life, power and running cool on a laptop.

Just because the MHz is higher doesn't mean it is better. Cetrino will always have the upper hand over the G4 in a laptop. Live with it, the Panasonic is better.

My parents did buy it for me.

They also pay for my Dentistry School Fees. School for Dentists usually cost the most out of any course, and is harder than to get into than Medical school.

Lots of Asian Dentists

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 09:17 PM

They also pay for my Dentistry School Fees. School for Dentists usually cost the most out of any course, and is harder than to get into than Medical school.
While your technical arguments are specious as best, the above sentence makes me sick to my stomach.

You, sir, are an ass.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 6, 2003, 09:19 PM

Guys, Kenny (aka Kenikov) has been around various Mac forums for a while (I remember him from the MacAddict and MacWorld forums) and he was eventually reprimanded/asked to leave by the mods there. Why? Because he persisted in calling people names when they didn't agree with him, and because nearly all his posts qualified as "flamebait." You cannot reason with him. I've tried.

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 09:24 PM

ICruise - Please, don't tell stories.

There are plenty of "Kenny" out there.

There is one guy named Kenneth here. Go investigate him.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 6, 2003, 09:27 PM

That use the handle Kenny AND Kenikov and who are Asian and like to post about how crappy powerbooks are in comparison to Wintel machines? Hmm, yeah, there must be hundreds...

And strangely this other Kenny also had the same homepage as you. You should really contact him, because people could get you two confused...

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 09:29 PM

ICruise - Please, don't tell stories.

There are plenty of "Kenny" out there.

There is one guy named Kenneth here. Go investigate him.
That was a pretty quick edit Kenny - agreeing with Icruise that you are the Kenny he remembers then completely rewriting your post to make it look like he's wrong.

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 09:29 PM

While your technical arguments are specious as best, the above sentence makes me sick to my stomach.

You, sir, are an ass.
How am I an ass? You expect me to pay for Dental School, my car, and computer equipment all by myself, while studying? Oh yes! That makes sense.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 09:32 PM

>>> A.D.D. <<<

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 09:40 PM

That was a pretty quick edit Kenny - agreeing with Icruise that you are the Kenny he remembers then completely rewriting your post to make it look like he's wrong.
No. He is wrong himself.

Go type in KENNY on the internet, there are plenty.

My website is new, I doubt anybody from MacAddict would know about it or I would have records of their signatures in my Guestbook. Guess what? I don't, so stop lying.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 6, 2003, 09:46 PM

Then this guy who links to your webpage isn't you, huh?

I suppose you'll go and change it now...

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 09:46 PM

No. He is wrong himself.

Go type in KENNY on the internet, there are plenty.

My website is new, I doubt anybody from MacAddict would know about it or I would have records of their signatures in my Guestbook. Guess what? I don't, so stop lying.
Hmmm... So how come, before the edit, you actually went as far as saying that the mods on MacWorld didn't kick you off (and that you did, in fact, lose your username/password)?

Funny about that guestbook. I went and had a look at your site last night. Is my "signature" in there?

soul searching
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 09:47 PM

1101100, you were wrong right off the bat. Are you really stupid enough to believe a G4 can beat Cetrino? Cetrino has the G4 on battery-life, power and running cool on a laptop.

Just because the MHz is higher doesn't mean it is better. Cetrino will always have the upper hand over the G4 in a laptop. Live with it, the Panasonic is better.

My parents did buy it for me.

Lots of Asian Dentists
The laptop is nice indeed.

XP is okay. In the end, 98 seems better to me for my PC hardware (a bit old as you might guess).

There isn't much of value that can run on Linux that cannot run on Mac OS X anymore. Then again, this depends on what you "value."

This is a bit off topic (what isn't on the Lounge?) but I disagree with you on your comments about Dentistry School vs. Medical School and the difficulties in getting in. I don't mean to put you down but there is some reality to the jokes about Dentist being Med school rejects (hard to quantify the actual number but I know a few myself that did not make it to Med school but did get into either Pharmacy school or Dentistry school).

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:

I suppose you'll go an change it now...

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
RAM:
TiBook:
up to 640 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
Centrino
up to 512 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM

TiBook can hold 128 MB more of the same memory, not much a differnce though. Couldn't find bus speed on Centrino, but TiBook is effectively 266.
Um.. I really hate to break this to you, but....

The G4 can't utilize the RAM at DDR speeds. The bus is still only 133 MHz for the CPU - where the bottleneck is. The I/O has access to the DDR, just not the CPU.

And, unless Apple speedbumped the 12" AlBooks while I wasn't looking and forgot to update the AppleStore page, they still only run at 867 MHz and only have the 420 GeForce4 Go card.

That said, the thing still doesn't run OS X. (there, I said it - someone had to eventually - are you happy now? huh? huh!?)

...and I don't like it's DVD/CD drive. Just a preference though. I'm allowed to have those still, yes?
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 09:54 PM

This is a bit off topic (what isn't on the Lounge?) but I disagree with you on your comments about Dentistry School vs. Medical School and the difficulties in getting in. I don't mean to put you down but there is some reality to the jokes about Dentist being Med school rejects (hard to quantify the actual number but I know a few myself that did not make it to Med school but did get into either Pharmacy school or Dentistry school).
They are jokes (Seinfeld), but not true.

This site explains that it is more difficult to get into Dental School in North America than Med School: http://cx.bridges.com

Also, in Canada, the difficulty is even more. Their are only 10 Dental Schools in Canada, as their are many more Medical Schools so it gets even more competitive. Also, more people want to be Dentists these days because of Cosmetic Dentistry, they make more money and it is easier.

Also, most Dentists end-up going to Med school at some time (not full). Oral Surgeons have to get into med school for at least 4 years before they are allowed to practice.

XP is okay. In the end, 98 seems better to me for my PC hardware (a bit old as you might guess).
Quite a few people stay with Windows 98, as I've read in PCWorld.

Hmmm... So how come, before the edit, you actually went as far as saying that the mods on MacWorld didn't kick you off (and that you did, in fact, lose your username/password)?
So how come before the edit, you admitted you were a moron?

I edit my posts quite a bit. Do not accuse me.

That is my website, and?

Unless you have full proof that the Kenny on MacAddict/Macworld was me and that I was banned for being rude then you have no case.

Do you have my IP number? Were you the moderator that banned me? No.

So stop your little kiddie fibs and go bother someone else, I am not up for an argument with you.

Yay! I have 2 stars now. I am happy again!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 6, 2003, 10:03 PM

I'm not saying that just because you were kicked off another forum that you shouldn't be allowed to post here. If you want to turn over a new leaf, then fine. But from what I have seen of your first few posts, you haven't learned anything from your experiences, and I was just trying to save people some aggravation in dealing with you.

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 10:08 PM

I was never kicked-off. What is wrong with you? Do you tangible proof that without a doubt, I am him besides the fact that we are both named kenny?

If you accused someone in real life of something he didn't do, you could be in real trouble.

I suggest you stop now.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 10:11 PM

They're accusing you of being this other kenikov character, and there are much less kenikovs than kennys.
If you accused someone in real life of something he didn't do, you could be in real trouble.

I suggest you stop now.
It's a message board, grow up, what could you do about it?

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
It's a message board, grow up, what could you do about it?
Get his mom to buy MacNN and kick us off.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Get his mom to buy MacNN and kick us off.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 10:16 PM

I was never kicked-off. What is wrong with you? Do you tangible proof that without a doubt, I am him besides the fact that we are both named kenny?

I suggest you stop now.
The website connection was pretty clear to me...don't know about anyone else though.

(Lockination on it's way?)

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 10:20 PM

wow, this is more entertaining then a Cash thread.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 6, 2003, 10:27 PM

Wow, a website connection.

The idiot could of signed up for tripod himself and linked to me. How long can that take? 3 mins?

He did not accuse me of being kenikov, but Kenny on another forum.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 10:30 PM

Wow, a website connection.

The idiot could of signed up for tripod himself and linked to me. How long can that take? 3 mins?

He did not accuse me of being kenikov, but Kenny on another forum.
Wrong, you were also accused of a MacAddict connection that was linked to in which then login name was kenikov. And I thought the website connection was in your profile here (although I did not see it myself), not a link from a tripod guy who's had a page longer than you've been posting here...

Forum Links
Forum Rules