Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Refuse to serve fat people?

Refuse to serve fat people?
NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 04:36 PM

When do you think it will be legally necessary for fast food chains to refuse to sell food to fat people?

Or only sell salads to people who are obese and not allow them to order anything fattening?

It seems to me if fat people are suing restaurants for making them fat, that these same places should just not serve fat people. (until they lose their weight anyhow).

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2003, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
When do you think it will be legally necessary for fast food chains to refuse to sell food to fat people?

Or only sell salads to people who are obese and not allow them to order anything fattening?

It seems to me if fat people are suing restaurants for making them fat, that these same places should just not serve fat people. (until they lose their weight anyhow).

Easier to just add warning labels and earn just about as much money as before.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2003, 04:43 PM

Let 'em have a burger... ...when they've done 5 miles on one of the new treadmills that's just been installed where kiddies' corner used to be.

Lerkfish
Aug 12, 2003, 05:01 PM

I don't think ANY restaurant should serve fat people.

I'm totally against cannablism.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2003, 05:02 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Lerk, I think you made my day.

-Q-
Aug 12, 2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:

*spits drink out nose*

I love it when I come across unexpected posts.

Fat people should suck it up and say "I'm fat b/c I eat too much or b/c of a medical condition. No one has forced me to eat this stuff."

Now, there's an interesting socialogical theory that lower income people are heavier b/c junk food is affordable for their incomes. Haven't seen any studies on it tho'.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 05:08 PM

I know you are being sarcastic� but let's see�

Economics 101:

As long as there is a desire or demand to own a food product from a fast food chain and the fast food chains are willing to sell or supply at a given price that the consumer is willing to pay, the fast food chains will sell to anyone.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 12, 2003, 05:11 PM

*clap**clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*

NYCFarmboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
*clap**clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*

LOL

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2003, 05:30 PM

The only problem is, if they did that then fat people would scream about discrimination.

This is what bothers me the most about the current political trends in not just the US, but the world over. People don't want to be responsible for themselves. They want to do whatever they want, without ever having to accept the consequences. It's leading to a concept that I've heard called "the babysitter state", and it's really starting to scare me. Because the only way to take away negative consequences is to take away positive consequence, and the only way to do that is to clamp down on the people with an iron fist. I can't think of anything more dehumanizing.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2003, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
The only problem is, if they did that then fat people would scream about discrimination.
That's really bizarre... Fat people must eat a fast food places or they sue for discrimination, and when they get even fatter they sue anyways.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2003, 05:50 PM

Absolutely, totally, ROTFLMAO.

Great one, Lerk.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2003, 05:56 PM

Haaaahahaha, too funny!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2003, 05:57 PM

How do you suggest I clean up my keyboard now?!

*Post of the day goes to Lerkfish*

LOLROFLMAO!!

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2003, 06:36 PM

So then, apparently all fat people are out of control fast food addicts, a blight on society, and ruin your day in general if you see one.

Let's segregate them to special work camps, too. That'll help, huh?

*barfs*
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2003, 07:16 PM

Hehe. Then does this mean they'd prohibit skinny people from driving because they're agressive?
Aloha

Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
So then, apparently all fat people are out of control fast food addicts, a blight on society, and ruin your day in general if you see one.

Let's segregate them to special work camps, too. That'll help, huh?

*barfs*
If you want to lose some weight, bulimia isn't the solution.

willed
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2003, 07:34 PM

Will's simple one step diet:

1) JUST PUT THE FREAKING SPOON DOWN AND STEP AWAY FROM THE ICE-CREAM YOU FAT B@$TARD!!

Nothing to it! Has served me well - 6'2" and 12stone (whatever that is everywhere else I don't know...)

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2003, 07:42 PM

It's a proven fact socity will not stand for any type of discrimination. McD's would loose more money from just bad PR if they installed a McScale, than if htey just paid out thousands of law suits.

Either way us fat people should just be happy that our loved ones can use our bellies as sleep faclilitators.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2003, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
It's a proven fact socity will not stand for any type of discrimination.
I can't believe you just said that.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
I can't believe you just said that.
it's also a proven fact socity doesn't like me

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
That's really bizarre... Fat people must eat a fast food places or they sue for discrimination, and when they get even fatter they sue anyways.
So, why don't we sue the fat people for being such a burden on our health care system, sue the fast food restraunts for making them that way, then sue the government for regulation oversight. While we are at it, sue me for not being simpathetic to the plight of being a fat person. Then we'll sue you for being unsimpathetic with the plight of being too litagious.

If anyone is left, we'll sue them for not caring enough. That way we can all win! *he he*

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2003, 09:00 PM

Either way us fat people should just be happy that our loved ones can use our bellies as sleep faclilitators.
You're pregnant?

Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2003, 09:00 PM

it's also a proven fact socity doesn't like me
socity?

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2003, 09:08 PM

NO WAY! Serve everyone.

Every person is responsible for taking control over their own health. If you can't do that... your mentally ill. Clear cut.

IMHO labels on Cigarettes are wrong. If you don't know breathing in fumes from a flaming piece of dried, tarred, plant isn't good for you (just like breathing in deep when your house is on fire)... you most likely shouldn't be alive to begin with. And I don't think anyone falls into that category. At least I hope not.

Serve everyone. If a person doesn't care about their health... fine.

IMHO, you should pay more for health insurance, if you live an unhealthy lifestyle (overweight, smoke, alcoholic). Would make it a lot easier for many people who currently can't afford to get health care.

If you don't care about yourself. Why should anyone else? Why should it be anyone else's concern.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2003, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:

This is what bothers me the most about the current political trends in not just the US, but the world over. People don't want to be responsible for themselves. They want to do whatever they want, without ever having to accept the consequences. It's leading to a concept that I've heard called "the babysitter state", and it's really starting to scare me. Because the only way to take away negative consequences is to take away positive consequence, and the only way to do that is to clamp down on the people with an iron fist. I can't think of anything more dehumanizing.
I hold you responsible for bumming me out with that negative post! You'll be hearing from my attorney.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2003, 09:46 PM

It's a proven fact socity will not stand for any type of discrimination.
Well, ****, I'm glad we cleared that one up.

Who used to have the US flag sig with the McD's logo? Nonsuch, or maybe nonhuman. I miss that one.

Something should be done, sure.

**** it, dude, let's go bowling.

( Last edited by MindFad; Aug 12, 2003 at 10:56 PM. )

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2003, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by MacmanX:
So, why don't we sue the fat people for being such a burden on our health care system, sue the fast food restraunts for making them that way, then sue the government for regulation oversight. While we are at it, sue me for not being simpathetic to the plight of being a fat person. Then we'll sue you for being unsimpathetic with the plight of being too litagious.

If anyone is left, we'll sue them for not caring enough. That way we can all win! *he he*

Cheers!
Can I sue smokers for being a burder on the health care system? Can I sue tanning bed clients when they get cancer? Can I sue the unfit mothers of the children I went to school with who caused me emotional pain?

Seriously grow up and stop blaiming fat people for all your problems. Realize AMERICA is the problem, and your petty legal system!

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2003, 10:54 PM

First off, I'm fat. Having cleared that up, I say let them eat themselves to death. I'm fat, yes, but I've realized that I have a problem and am in the process of correcting myself. I don't want to die at 40 because I'm too lazy to make my own food. If they don't want to take responsibility for their own decisions, I say let the process of natural selection kick in. They won't get laid because they're fat, thus they won't reproduce. Problem solved.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2003, 10:58 PM

Yup inub.. agreeing with this one.
Aloha

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 11:07 PM

Posted originally by Superchic[k]en:

Realize AMERICA is the problem, and your petty legal system!
Nice troll.

Why do 3/4 of all Canadians live within 200 miles of the U.S. border if the U.S is so crappy?

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 11:18 PM

Everyone knows the real money is in proving that McD's burgers are addictive. Tiny grey chunks of meat that we all crave from time to time. There has to be some chemical in them that makes us desire them. I'll jump on that lawsuit!

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2003, 11:20 PM

How about the opiates in the seeds on the bun?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2003, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by iNub:
How about the opiates in the seeds on the bun?
Aren't those sesame seeds? Or don't I know my seeds? WTF am I doing talking about seeds?

Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2003, 11:46 PM

Realize AMERICA is the problem, and your petty legal system!
Like you're one to talk. Canada has a two tiered medical system. You have the lucky ones who live near the US border that occupy the 1st tier, and everyone else is SOL.

Shouldn't this be in the political lounge anyways?

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 12, 2003, 11:47 PM

There's no solution to this except to make sure that people can't win lawsuits based on their own irresponsibility. Stopping serving fat people and all similar measures are obviously impractical and will never be implemented.

As long as these people don't *win* the lawsuits, they'll eventually figure out that they can't blame other people for their own irresponsibility. And then one of two things will happen: (1) they'll switch to a better diet; (2) something bad will happen to them for natural reasons. If they've eaten too much red meat, maybe they die of a heart attack. Who knows.

I don't really think there's anything problematic about blaming other people as long as no one takes those claims seriously.

A side point, but McDonald's did play some role in this. Studies showed that people were unwilling to order something like two large fries, because that seems like an abnormal amount of food. A normal meal would consist of one order of fries, one drink, one sandwich, perhaps some random other item, etc. McDonald's then introduced the SuperSize option, which let people get the equivalent of two servings of drink or fries while still only ordering one thing. Even though it's the same amount of food, only one of them is psychologically acceptable to most people. So SuperSize played a passive role in the issue that is worth considering, but obviously the person who actually orders it is to blame.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2003, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
Nice troll.

Why do 3/4 of all Canadians live within 200 miles of the U.S. border if the U.S is so crappy?
First off TROLLS generally don't have high post counts, it's one of the things that give away a troll... second, we live near the US because A) most of your people live on your coasts so we don't have to deal with em so much. And B) cause IT"S COLD ANYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY, so why not live where it's the warmest! Trust me, if it was warm on Baffin Island that's where the population would be.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 12:19 AM

I knew the chicken would bite. Hook, line, & sinker�

�most of your people live on your coasts so we don't have to deal with em so much.
ehh? what? Explain�

Originally posted by euchomai:

Everyone knows the real money is in proving that McD's burgers are addictive.
I can wait for the next thruth commercials on TV about addictive burgers.
( Last edited by waxcrash; Aug 13, 2003 at 12:28 AM. )

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2003, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Well, ****, I'm glad we cleared that one up.

Who used to have the US flag sig with the McD's logo? Nonsuch, or maybe nonhuman. I miss that one.

Something should be done, sure.

**** it, dude, let's go bowling.

Yep, that was me. Funny how these same issues keep coming up over and over, isn't it?

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by iNub:
First off, I'm fat. Having cleared that up, I say let them eat themselves to death. I'm fat, yes, but I've realized that I have a problem and am in the process of correcting myself. I don't want to die at 40 because I'm too lazy to make my own food.
Well, some people would like to have us believe that being fat is normal and healthy. It's just your "nutritional orientation". And, hey, you should have a "Fat People's Parade", with a multicolored burger in the center of your flag.

At least you've recognized that it is a problem, and you're trying to correct it. I'm also trying to get in better shape and I know that it can be really hard. I congratulate you on deciding to change things and wish you the best of luck!

If they don't want to take responsibility for their own decisions, I say let the process of natural selection kick in. They won't get laid because they're fat, thus they won't reproduce. Problem solved.
Unfortunately, I've seen this happen. And to a good friend of mine, too, who is a great guy, surely better than most. But, I believe that obesity is unattractive because it denotes a possible health problem, and this is, at least, subconsciously registered.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2003, 04:08 AM

Vote Arnold for president. I bet he can sweat yar fat off.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

simonjames
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 05:00 AM

Children - please. Don't try to treat the symptom - go for the cause of the problem.

And I am not talking weight problems here.

American law is out of hand. American society is out of hand. People are not willing to accept the consequences of their own actions.

you smoke cigarettes - you may get lung cancer

you eat fatty foods and don't exercise - you get fat

p u r e a n d s i m p l e

c a u s e a n d e f f e c t

stop the lawers and you stop the problem

I don't know what it is like in the rest of the world but here in Australia the medical profession is suffering big time - so many unjustified law suits - obstetricians are leaving the profession in droves

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2003, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:
Children - please. Don't try to treat the symptom - go for the cause of the problem.

American law is out of hand. American society is out of hand. People are not willing to accept the consequences of their own actions.

I don't know what it is like in the rest of the world but here in Australia the medical profession is suffering big time - so many unjustified law suits - obstetricians are leaving the profession in droves
Surprise of all surprises us non americans see it but they don't. It's not their fault they can't see it. It's their school systems.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2003, 07:31 AM

That's like asking if girl scout cookies are made with real girl scouts!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2003, 09:48 AM

Snortinated.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Cipher13
Aug 13, 2003, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
That's like asking if girl scout cookies are made with real girl scouts!
So many inappropriate comments I could make... so I'll just stick to... yum.

Lerkfish
Aug 13, 2003, 10:15 AM

Surprise of all surprises us non americans see it but they don't. It's not their fault they can't see it. It's their school systems.

JakeTuba
Aug 13, 2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:

AMEN!

I was a little concerned no one would see the real problem... LAWYERS! Think about it... A fat guy walks into a lawyers office... sound like a bad joke? Well?... Not so funny now, is it.

Just look at all this...
Smoking - it's your right to kill yourself how you want, but Kevorkian's the bad guy...
Obesity - it's your right to get fat, but it's their fault you did it...
Gambling - it's your right to spend all your money and bum off your friends, but they shouldn't have given you that much credit...
Drugs - it's your right to consume 'legal' ones, but it's their fault if you spilt it in your own lap and burnt yourself...

Come on people, wake up and smell the ... ... oh, never mind the bad pun!

What do you call 1,000 lawyers in the bottom of the ocean?
A good start!

I suppose I should sue now for getting bad humor from a lawyer...
( Last edited by JakeTuba; Aug 13, 2003 at 10:48 AM. )
SMILE! God loves YOU! 8 )

JakeTuba
Aug 13, 2003, 10:44 AM

Please, delete me!

postie
SMILE! God loves YOU! 8 )

memento
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 02:36 PM

If someone got fat for a reason other than medical, then it is their own fault, but your mindset makes me sick. Even if you're being sarcastic, is that what's really in the back of your mind? You're just as bad as the lawyers.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Forum Links
Forum Rules