Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sleep Problems with 12"

Sleep Problems with 12"
maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 06:08 PM

Greetings, everyone.

I am having some sleep issues with my 3 week old "Little Al".

Almost every single time i shut the lid on my PB, it takes as long as 45-60 seconds for the machine to sleep, and 5% of the time, it doesn't sleep at all. Also, on the rare occasion it does sleep before that time frame, it will wake back up for 10 seconds, and then go back to sleep.

I did use the seach feature, and found out that someone intalled a Fax program that caused this. After removal, it was fine. I couldn't find that software anywhere on my machine.

I fine this to be terribly annoying. I want to be able to walk away from the machine knowing it will sleep, but its a crap shoot.

Also, i tried unplugging the mouse, to see if it was the problem, but no dice.

My old Pismo was flawless, slept when you closed it, and woke when you opened. I want this machine to work the same way.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks,

Peter

jsnyder
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 06:24 PM

I've got a 12" too and I have not had any problems sleeping in the week that I've owned it. In fact it has run flawlessly so far.

That said, there is some fax software that comes with it called "FAXstf X" which is installed into the Applications folder. I haven't run it, and haven't noticed any processes that get started automatically by it when I'm observing things in top. Have you checked if there's something being started with "Login Items"? It may be that you checked out the software and it configured itself to be able to accept faxes.

You could also check if there's something related running either using "top" (open a terminal, type top and hit return) or ps, you can type "ps aux" (w/o quotes) to get a full list of processes running on your mac. Maybe a "ps aux | grep -i fax" (again, w/o quotes) may lead you to the correct process. I'm not sure how to remove stuff from the init system on mac os x beyond the Login Items stuff so you may need to find uninstall directions.

If all else fails, you could reinstall OS X and not install FAXstf from the restore discs and see if that helps.
MacBook White 2.0 GHz, SuperDrive, 2 GB RAM, 120GB
-jsnyder

maximusbibicus  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 07:21 PM

No dice.

I reinstalled right after i got the machine. Faxstf x isn't even in my machine. I tried running the process, and it didn't show up. The only thing that was in my Login items was MSN Messenger. I removed it, restarted, and still the same problem.

Any other suggestions?

Peter

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Aug 7, 2003, 07:56 PM

12" pbg4 owner for a couple weeks now. no sleep problems at all. sorry I can't be more helpful at this point.

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by maximusbibicus:
No dice.

I reinstalled right after i got the machine. Faxstf x isn't even in my machine. I tried running the process, and it didn't show up. The only thing that was in my Login items was MSN Messenger. I removed it, restarted, and still the same problem.

Any other suggestions?

Peter
Ok, try this.

Shut down the machine, and then turn it back on while holding down CMD (apple key), option, P, and R, hold all 4 of them down until you hear your machine make a second chime then release them. This will reset the PRAM or Parameter RAM, the PRAM controls all system parameters, much like the BIOS on a PC.

If that doesn't work. Shut down the machine, and then turn it back on while holding down CMD (apple key), option, O, and F. This will take you into Open Firmware. It'll look a great deal like a Terminal window or a DOS prompt. BE VERY CAREFUL IN THERE!

Type in (exactly):

init-nvram

You will return to the prompt, your nvram/PRAM settings are now factory default.

Then type:

reset-all

Your system will then reboot, and you'll have to reset your clock and energy settings in System Preferences. But, it should get rid of any bad PRAM settings.

Good luck!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

maximusbibicus  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 09:56 PM

When i typed in "init-nvram", it said it was an unknown word.

I reset the pram first, no change.

Then i went into open firmware, it didn't recognize that word, so i still typed in "reset-all".

No change.

I have no idea what else i can do to trouble shoot this.

jsnyder
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 11:48 PM

Perhaps you should give Apple a ring. If its only 3 weeks old you should still be within the 30 days of free tech support. That would be the first thing I would do if responses were coming up dry here.

In response to the earlier post about resetting nvram, check out this TIL doc: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

This will reset nvram and return things to defaults. If it doesn't help, call Apple. They'll probably actually ask you to do this as one of the first measures in trouble shooting.
MacBook White 2.0 GHz, SuperDrive, 2 GB RAM, 120GB
-jsnyder

maximusbibicus  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2003, 10:01 PM

Here is an update, i hope this is not a hardware issue.

Called Apple a couple of times. They want me to take it for servicing. They say the sensor by the latch (above the screen)is not working. Canada does not have a "send in" policy. So i have to take it somewhere. I do not want to do this. Here is what i have done.

Zapped PRAM
Zapped Powermanagment (Apple+Option+Shift+PowerButton)
Got rid of Fax SFT
Unhooked my FW HD and USB mouse. Downloaded driver for mouse.
Ran Hardware Test
Wiped Drive clean, reinstalled OSX, Have not installed 3rd party software at all.

Won't sleep when i close lid. If it does, it wakes up in a couple of minutes.

If i set it to sleep from the Apple menu, it will sleep, i then shut the lid, and at some point it will wake back up. It could be a minute later, or as long as 20 minutes later. When it wakes up, it just cycles back and forth between waking and sleeping, the Apple logo flickers (doesn't look healthy) and it will just sit there and cycle back and forth.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is it a hardware issue? Apple seems to think so, and i am starting to beleive it. I just don't want to be without my machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you are in the Toronto area, could you recommend a good place to get Apple warranty work done?

Thanks

Peter

Forum Links
Forum Rules