Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What do you think?

What do you think?
pbook28
Sep 13, 2003, 02:21 AM

I was recently looking at those ebay auctions for a new powerbook. I found a couple "buy it now" ones that were under $1000. They were reserved for approved buyer's only, so I tried emailing one of them. I had a reply, and the person decided to sell me the powerbook for $990! He lives in holland and sent me a few pictures. The money was sent via western union money transfer from my credit card, and my question is does this all sound legit? He needed a confirmation payment copy sent before he could mail the powerbook. This hasn't reached him yet, and he hasn't picked up the money transfer. Tell me what you think. I've been here a while, reading instead of writing, so maybe you could help me out. Thanks

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2003, 02:51 AM

I'm not sure what to tell you. I know that there were some auctions ebay pulled...cuz they were fake. But this one sounds like it migt be legit.

This is probably not the same one...since it says U.S. as location...but I was wondering if it may be legit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14909

flyhigher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2003, 02:55 AM

If they want a wire transfer, chances are that it's a scam. But you say you did it via credit card, which should offer you some protection.
"I warned them kids to keep their arms inside the ride. Damnedest thing I ever saw."

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 13, 2003, 06:25 AM

I'm not sure that there are ANY legitimate auctions out there where you pay by Western Union. Seriously, these two things are like red flags; if the seller is out of the country and they want payment via Western Union, 99% of the time it will be a scam.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2003, 07:46 AM

My advice, cancel the transfer ASAP, fork out $400 more for a refurb from any number of legit online resellers.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2003, 10:16 AM

Yeah. And if the seller is in Nigeria, that is another dead give away.
I, ASIMO.

pbook28  (op)
Sep 13, 2003, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll cancel the wire transfer and do something where there's only a credit card option.

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2003, 02:23 PM

the Western Union and foreigh address are dead giveaways of a scam. Just do a search on google for ebay fraud and you'll find a whole ton of info.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 05:19 AM

Don't, when it looks too good to be true, it is. It's more then likely a fake one again just like those other hundreds of other auctions that were fack and took thousands and thousands out of people who never got their Powerbooks.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules