Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Adding a second HD..

Adding a second HD..
Mal495
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 02:36 PM

I wanna multi boot my blue/white G3 with 9, X, and yellow dog linux. I already have 9 running on the 12g hd the mac came with. How do I jump the 40G HD im gonna add for the X, and YD installations. I tried jumping it as a slave but the system doesnt detect it.

-Rob

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 25, 2004, 06:14 PM

One drive must be master, the other slave (it doesn't matter which). Then the drive must be formatted (it won't mount if it's not formatted).

Note also that if you have a Rev A blue and white G3, you will likely have problems with any drive that is newer than the one it came with.

tooki

Mal495  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 12:17 AM

The G3 detects the new hd in system profiler and says not mounted, no partitions. When I try to install another OS on the new HD it asks where to install it, but only gives the first HD as a desination. Shouldn't it beable to see the other hd and allow me to partition the new hd during install?

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2004, 09:16 AM

Open Disk Utility and format the new drive.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 26, 2004, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by Mal495:
The G3 detects the new hd in system profiler and says not mounted, no partitions. When I try to install another OS on the new HD it asks where to install it, but only gives the first HD as a desination. Shouldn't it beable to see the other hd and allow me to partition the new hd during install?
No, Mac OS has never had installers that do that -- the installer installs onto mounted volumes, not physical drives. (Although the install CDs do include formatting software, it's not part of the installation process.) Linux does, which is a good thing, because if you want Linux and Mac OS to share a drive, you'll probably need to partition the drive first using Mac OS, and then reformat one or more of the partitions as Linux during the Linux install process.

tooki

Mal495  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2004, 12:06 AM

Thanx. I got the OSX installed, but I wanted it do duel boot into OS9 or OSX, then I was gonna add Yellow Dog Linux, However, now that I have OSX installed, it only boots into OSX. Once im in X, I have 2 drives on my desktop(a HD0, which is what I named the original HD with OS9 on it, and "/" which is the new HD with OSX) I can open and see all the OS9 files but just cant boot into it. How do I fix this and will I have a similar problem when I install Yellow Dog. Also, will Yellow Dog be able to resize the OSX as it takes up the entire new HD?

-Rob

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 10:22 AM

OSX as it takes up the entire new HD?
Say wha....tf......

OS X took up all 40GB ? I find that VERY hard to believe.....

please explain
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 03:11 PM

Mal495, your new to Macs or MacOS X, right? To boot into MacOS 9 while your in MacOS X you have to go to System Preferences and go to the Startup Disk Control panel and select the MacOS 9 System folder from there. The Mac should start in MacOS 9 when restarted. You can also select the MacOS System at start up. Someone else here should be able to explain how to select it at startup, I never use the feature - you have to hold down a certain key at startup.

As for MacOS X taking the whole 40GB HD, I think he means MacOS formatted the whole 40GB HD using the MacOS filing system (HFS+). If you wanted the HD partitioned you should have formatted it with multiple partitions. MacOS by default, I believe formats the whole drive as HFS+.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Xtopolop
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2004, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
Mal495, your new to Macs or MacOS X, right? To boot into MacOS 9 while your in MacOS X you have to go to System Preferences and go to the Startup Disk Control panel and select the MacOS 9 System folder from there. The Mac should start in MacOS 9 when restarted. You can also select the MacOS System at start up. Someone else here should be able to explain how to select it at startup, I never use the feature - you have to hold down a certain key at startup.

As for MacOS X taking the whole 40GB HD, I think he means MacOS formatted the whole 40GB HD using the MacOS filing system (HFS+). If you wanted the HD partitioned you should have formatted it with multiple partitions. MacOS by default, I believe formats the whole drive as HFS+.
On a newer computer you can hold down the Option key to select which volume to boot from at startup, but this is not supported on a B&W G3.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 30, 2004, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by bowwowman:
Say wha....tf......

OS X took up all 40GB ? I find that VERY hard to believe.....

please explain
I think he means that the OS X partition is taking up the whole of the disk.

Note that this can't be undone without formatting.

Mal495: I mean no offense, but I believe that installing Linux is beyond your computing experience. Might I suggest you have someone experienced guide you?

tooki

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2004, 12:53 AM

OK here's an idea. You need tow partitions, one ext2 for linux, one HFS+, you put OS X and OS 9 on the same HFS+, then Linux on the ext2. Then if you want OS 9 to boot at startup, just set it in your system prefs. I've never used linux on a modern mac, with OS X, so i don't know how you handle that part. But if your running OS X, why use linux too?

Forum Links
Forum Rules