Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Hypercard

Hypercard
kremmit
Dec 18, 2004, 06:38 AM

Why does Apple still sell this? It died MANY years ago.

larkost
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2004, 02:32 PM

Because some large groups still use it, and want to buy it. I wish they would move it to their collection of freeware (alongside system 7) to send the signal that it is well and truly dead... but it is not really a big deal.

Samad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2004, 02:46 AM

Any chance of a brave individual to implement a GNU implementation of HyperCard? FreeCard seems to be a fairly inactive project.

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Dec 22, 2004, 05:02 PM

If there was a large base of individuals that still wanted a development tool like HyperCard, I'd gladly take up the project.
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

osxisfun
Dec 24, 2004, 01:58 PM

>Any chance of a brave individual to implement a GNU implementation of HyperCard?

I'm sure if you could find enough people that would pay for his rent, groceries and etc for a year you could find a person.

Why not just contribute to the free card project instead?

larkost
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2004, 06:16 PM

There are already three or four "HyperCard successors" out there, all of them commercial: SuperCard, FreeCard (might not be alive) and RuntimeRevolution (as mutated almost to unrecognizability) are just a few.

Samad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2004, 06:00 PM

HyperCard has the tradition of having a hobbyist/hacker audience. The problem with SuperCard, MetaCard, and RunRev is it is too expensive for the common hacker. FreeCard has a lot of great ideas, but a Java implementation? I don't think the HyperCard community would be willing to switch to a Java app. Let's not even mention its inactivity. (The idea of a stack converter to a Java applet is a really awesome idea.) I think a lot of people feel that FreeCard will never reach the point of a working, solid implementation. Yes, there must be one person to drive the project. HyperCard is not the most sophisticated application out there. It should not be too difficult for a single individual, by him or herself, to write a clone in Cocoa.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2004, 08:25 PM

Dreamcard from Runtime Revolution is about the same price as HyperCard, no?

Forum Links
Forum Rules