Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Post your working ram module for iBook

Post your working ram module for iBook
vicgray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2005, 03:55 AM

I think I am tired of hunting for cheap and working ram module. Please post your working ram module information here, which I believe will help others a lot. Just copy the template below and fill it up:

*iBook model:
*Memory manufacturer:
*Memory model number:
*Memory size:
*Memory type:
*Memory speed:
Bought from:
Bought on:
Price:
Comment:

Here's my example, just an example...

*iBook model: iBook 12" G4 1.2GHz
*Memory manufacturer: Kingston
*Memory model number: KTA-PBG4333/512
*Memory size: 5125MB
*Memory type: DDR-SODIMM
*Memory speed: PC2700 333MHz
Bought from: Amazon.com
Bought on: 3 September 2005
Price: $100
Comment: Works flawlessly.

Thank you!

P/S: I added the price field, and changed the serial field to model number.

* means the info is helpful only you have entered this part
( Last edited by vicgray; Sep 17, 2005 at 04:13 AM. )

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2005, 11:46 AM

iBook model: iBook 12" G4 1.2GHz
Memory manufacturer: Kingston
Memory serial number: Unknown
Memory size: 1GB
Memory type: DDR-SODIMM
Memory speed: Unknown - PC2700
Bought from: eBay.co.uk
Bought on: A long time ago
Comment: Perfect

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2005, 06:29 PM

I got a pc 2700 512mb chip from pcnation.com. Its corsair value select and works perfectly (1 year old now).
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2005, 08:30 PM

i got mine from apple (shock!) and it works perfectly after a year or so. my impression is that dodgy ram causes a huge number of problems, so while i'm all for saving $ don't get too carried away...

sminch

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2005, 11:19 AM

I bought this one. It works extremely well. I paid about $200 for it back in January; nowadays. it's even cheaper, about $125 — can't go wrong with that!

Brand: KINGMAX
Model: MSDD42D-KI
Type: 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM
Capacity: 1GB
Speed: DDR 266 (PC 2100)
Cas Latency: 2.5
Voltage: 2.5V
ECC: No
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Heat Spreader: No
Manufacturer Warranty: Lifetime

vicgray  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2005, 12:55 PM

Thanks for all the sharings. However, please note that in order to "really" have your info helpful, you gotta supply the serial number, which is the most important part, seconded by the model of your iBook. Thanks!

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by vicgray
in order to "really" have your info helpful, you gotta supply the serial number
, which is the most important part
What "serial number"? Of the memory module, or the iBook? In either case, I doubt it matters. Part or model number of either the iBook or the memory module, maybe. But the serial number AFAIK is specific to each individual unit and as such does not help you.
Originally Posted by vicgray
seconded by the model of your iBook. Thanks!
My iBook's model number is M9623LL/A, which is the 1.2 GHz iBook G4 introduced in October 2004. The model number of the memory module I bought is MSDD42D-KI, as indicated above.

Satisified now?

ptolemy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2005, 06:15 PM

iBook model: iBook 1,33GHz
Memory manufacturer: Kingston
Memory model number: KVR333X64SC25/512
Memory size: 512MiB
Memory speed: 333MHz
Bought from: webhallen.se
Bought on: 2005-08-??
Price: €60
Comment:
( Last edited by ptolemy; Sep 17, 2005 at 07:28 AM. )

Krusty
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2005, 11:45 PM

iBook model: 12" 1.33mhz
Memory manufacturer: Crucial
Memory serial number: CT12864X335
Memory size: 1gb
Memory type: 200-pin DDR SO-DIMM
Memory speed: PC2700 (333 mhz)
Bought from: Newegg
Bought on: ~ 9/2/05
Comment: Works flawlessly so far. Costs $160 direct from Crucial but only $120 thru Newegg

vicgray  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2005, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch
What "serial number"? Of the memory module, or the iBook? In either case, I doubt it matters. Part or model number of either the iBook or the memory module, maybe. But the serial number AFAIK is specific to each individual unit and as such does not help you.My iBook's model number is M9623LL/A, which is the 1.2 GHz iBook G4 introduced in October 2004. The model number of the memory module I bought is MSDD42D-KI, as indicated above.

Satisified now?
Haha... Hey, it's the memory module serial number that I was talking about. Just post it up will do. In fact, you have done it right by posting the serial number of your memory module. Please don't post your iBook serial number, it should be kept private.

You see, selowitch, memory module may be the same by speed, size, pins. But we must not neglect that there are tons of memory modules revision from the manufacturer from time to time. Therefore, a serial number is the best in identifying which memory module works, which not.

For example, when I say Kingston 512MB DDR Ram, it can mean either the Value Ram, the generic ram, the KTA Apple ram, and so on. In order to clear the air, it's best to supply the serial number as well, as how the other did.

Anyway, hope this clear things out. Thank you so much for your post. Greatly appreciate them. Keep them coming!

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2005, 02:52 AM

I'm afraid I still don't understand. In my conception of things, a serial number is unique to the particular memory module I have or you have. Knowing its serial number won't tell you anything because it doesn't identify the one you might consider buying, only the one I have already bought. The model number, however, would tell you something because both the module I have and the one you would consider buying have the small model number. Am I wrong?

vicgray  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2005, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch
I'm afraid I still don't understand. In my conception of things, a serial number is unique to the particular memory module I have or you have. Knowing its serial number won't tell you anything because it doesn't identify the one you might consider buying, only the one I have already bought. The model number, however, would tell you something because both the module I have and the one you would consider buying have the small model number. Am I wrong?
solewitch, I think you are right then. It should be model number, not serial number. Thanks for correcting. I will change the template.

Screwball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2005, 07:42 PM

Hi guys!
If you buy an iBook 1.42 Superdrive and add a Kingston ValueRAM SO-DIMM 1024MB PC2700 DDR CL2.5 (PC333) (KVR333X64SC25/1G), upgrading the memory from the standard 512 Mb to 1536 Mb, will it be flawless, with different modules in your iBook?
Thanks in advance

Screwball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2005, 03:50 AM

Please guys help me...not that i'm impatient, but it's rather urgent.
Or is it best i pair this 1 gb stick with a 512 mb stick of the same kind?
Kingston ValueRAM SO-DIMM 512MB PC2700 DDR CL2.5 (PC333) (KVR333X64SC25/512)
Precluding any fortuitous failures,crashes?It's no problem for me either, but i need to see clearly.
Thanks

ptolemy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2005, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Screwball
Please guys help me...not that i'm impatient, but it's rather urgent.
Or is it best i pair this 1 gb stick with a 512 mb stick of the same kind?
Kingston ValueRAM SO-DIMM 512MB PC2700 DDR CL2.5 (PC333) (KVR333X64SC25/512)
Precluding any fortuitous failures,crashes?It's no problem for me either, but i need to see clearly.
Thanks
The iBook only has one memory expansion slot. You cannot use two sticks at the same time.
I have KVR333X64SC25/512 and haven't experienced any problems. KVR333X64SC25/1G will probably work flawlessly aswell.

vicgray  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by ptolemy
The iBook only has one memory expansion slot. You cannot use two sticks at the same time.
I have KVR333X64SC25/512 and haven't experienced any problems. KVR333X64SC25/1G will probably work flawlessly aswell.
Screwball, looks like ptolemy has answered your question. You should be okay with it. Get 1GB ram module, because it is significantly faster and you will never regret for the amount of money you spent. It gives no delay for multiple applications that you run at one time.

Screwball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2005, 03:16 AM

I am very much aware that iBook has one additional slot!It has a standard 512 Mb, therefore i'd like to boost the memory.One stick of 1gb memory should make it 1,5 gb.
That is exactly what i intend to do.
My problem was, should i replace the standard stick with a kingston, precluding future clashes, because i'm sure the standard stick doesnt bear any resemblance with the kingston stick.I do hope you see what i mean:Standard apple stick(512Mb)+Kingston(1024Mb) vs. Kingston(512Mb)+Kingston(1024Mb).Which one is favourable?
Sorry for being difficult, but kernel crashes are the last thing i'd like to see on the screen.
From what i know, you cannot go wrong with sticks of the same kind.I feel inclined to go with the all-kingston solution.What do you think?

ptolemy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2005, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Screwball
I am very much aware that iBook has one additional slot!It has a standard 512 Mb, therefore i'd like to boost the memory.One stick of 1gb memory should make it 1,5 gb.
That is exactly what i intend to do.
My problem was, should i replace the standard stick with a kingston, precluding future clashes, because i'm sure the standard stick doesnt bear any resemblance with the kingston stick.I do hope you see what i mean:Standard apple stick(512Mb)+Kingston(1024Mb) vs. Kingston(512Mb)+Kingston(1024Mb).Which one is favourable?
Sorry for being difficult, but kernel crashes are the last thing i'd like to see on the screen.
From what i know, you cannot go wrong with sticks of the same kind.I feel inclined to go with the all-kingston solution.What do you think?
You cannot replace the standard 512MB, it's built in.

Screwball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2005, 01:06 PM

You cannot replace the standard 512MB, it's built in.
Ohh how could i forget...thanks a lot ptolemy!
Then all i have to do is, get the 1 gb stick!Ok!Thanks again!

dgoldak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2005, 07:02 PM

iBook model: iBook 12" G4 1.33GHz
Memory manufacturer: Corsair
Memory serial number: VS512SDS333
Memory size: 512MB
Memory type: DDR-SODIMM
Memory speed: Unknown - PC2700
Bought from: Newegg
Bought on: Sept. 2005
Comment: So far so good!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2005, 05:36 PM

*iBook model: iBook 12" G4 800mhz
*Memory manufacturer: RAMJET
*Memory model number:
*Memory size: 512mb
*Memory type: DDR SO-DIMM
*Memory speed: PC-2700 DDR, 333Mhz, 2.5volt, Unbuffered, 64bit, Low Power, 200pin, CL2.5
Bought from: RamJet www.ramjet.com
Bought on: January 2005
Price: 99.00
Comment: works great, all the memory i have ever gotten from ramjet has always worked great, i only use them and crucial

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

vicgray  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2005, 05:39 AM

Thanks to all who posted. Just to bring this thread up to let others aware of this valuable information.

Forum Links
Forum Rules