Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Swapping Macbook's HD

Swapping Macbook's HD
maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2006, 06:00 PM

Quick question:

For a vareity of reasons, Apple swapped out my 1.83 MB with a 2.0 model. Before bringing it in i swapped out my 120GB drive with the stock 60GB. Now I am home and ready to swap the drives to get up and running.

Question is, can i just pop in my drive used in the 1.83 and be on my way? The only difference between the two machines is the clock speed and the Superdrive. Will my SD be recognized? Will the different clock speeds make a diff at all?

Also, when using my XP partition will I have issues? I might want to burn DVD's using Nero on there so I want to make sure the SD is recognized.

Any tips?

Thanks!
Macbook 2ghz|2GB|160GB|SD
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
iMac 500mhz|768MB|30GB|DVD
iPod Nano 4GB iPod Shuffle 1GB iPhone 16GB White & 8GB Black

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2006, 07:48 PM

I think you may need to do a reinstall, but you could always try.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2006, 02:40 AM

On the Mac side there should be no problems. AFAIK the OS X builds are identical for all MBs up to now. Mac OS X does not offer specific support for a SuperDrive through an install on a certain machine. It's there for all Macs.

The only issue that comes to mind is that your serial number has changed so programs like iTunes which base DRM schemes on that number will notice something has changed. If you have protected AACs (from the iTMS) I hope you de-authorized your old MB before you brought it in. You will need to re-authorize the new Mac for those files. But that's just two clicks and a password entry.

On the Windows side I'd expect some problems. I'm not at all a Windows expert, but I know it uses an authentication scheme that relies on hardware snapshot. Since your hardware has changed I guess Windows will notice that. And my gut feeling tells me it won't be as simple as just re-entering the product registration key. Maybe the easiest would just be to reinstall Windows from scratch. But I'm not sure. You'd have to check with somebody who actually knows Windows well.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2006, 08:46 AM

Hi,

I am pretty sure you won't have a problem with Windows either. The activation gets de-activated only when you make MAJOR changes to your hardware, like changing the logic board completely and going for a new processor and a hard-drive.

Just a clock speed increment and an optical drive change shouldn't make that much of a difference, but then again its Windows. You never know. Try booting it up anyway. Won't do any harm to your computer in anyway. Good luck!

Cheers,

pheonixash

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by pheonixash
I am pretty sure you won't have a problem with Windows either. The activation gets de-activated only when you make MAJOR changes to your hardware, like changing the logic board completely and going for a new processor and a hard-drive.

Just a clock speed increment and an optical drive change shouldn't make that much of a difference, but then again its Windows. You never know. Try booting it up anyway. Won't do any harm to your computer in anyway. Good luck!
The problem is he got a whole new computer -> new motherboard -> new serial number. I'd say that is a major change and I'd be surprised if Windows didn't think it were.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
The problem is he got a whole new computer -> new motherboard -> new serial number. I'd say that is a major change and I'd be surprised if Windows didn't think it were.
Hmm...no what i meant was if he got a new chipset or something like that. Since it's the same hardware in terms of specs, it shouln't matter. I could very well be wrong though.

maximusbibicus  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2006, 09:49 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't getting any feedback last night so i went ahead and did it anyway.

On the mac side, the only setting that was changed was my screen's colour. I just had to change it back to sRGB and i was fine. It recognized the SD and I did a test burn just to make sure. CoreTempDuo displayed the processor right up to 2GHZ and it recognized that (of course) in the System Profiler.

On the Windows side, I was unsure of what to do. I ran the bootcamp assistant to see if I could get any answers and low and behold, I had an option to burn a drivers CD right there. Did that again and reinstalled all the drivers. I had to reset my wireless settings, but that was fine. The SD was recogized just fine.

All is well.
Macbook 2ghz|2GB|160GB|SD
iMac 500mhz|768MB|30GB|DVD
iPod Nano 4GB iPod Shuffle 1GB iPhone 16GB White & 8GB Black

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2006, 12:45 PM

Perfect I was wondering if it would work. Good to know.

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2006, 02:43 PM

Wow, that's the first time I've heard of Window's actually being happy.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2006, 03:08 PM

He he he good call.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Wow, that's the first time I've heard of Window's actually being happy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules