Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > VistaScan 3.7

VistaScan 3.7
pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2000, 06:44 PM

Anyone know what scanners this new software for. It's on their FTP site, but their web site makes no mention of the software. I have an Astra 2200 and I am using 3.5.4 and want to know if I need to upgrade.
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2000, 07:45 PM

go for it

be advised that you may be able to use their MagicScan software, it is far better, you should try it

i use it with an old SCSI astra 600s, much much better than the VistaScan junk

pastusza  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2000, 09:36 PM

Problem is, I have a G4 and need to hook the scanner up via USB. So, VistaScan is the only way to go with me.

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2000, 09:42 PM

well in that case search the usual suspects like this place here and macintouch and macfixit, et al

or wait for someone who has firsthand info

pastusza  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2000, 12:25 PM

Well.... I installed it, and it works. I don't see anything new though....

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak

OmniX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2000, 04:20 PM

I downloaded VistaScan 3.7 from the UMAX web site and tried installing it on a clean install of 9.0.4 but to no avail--it crashed after installing the first few items. Running a beige G3 connected to a SCSI S-6 scanner. I couldn't figure out the problem, so simply reinstalled version 3.1 without a hitch. Anyone have any success with 3.7?

pastusza  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2000, 04:49 PM

I thought VistaScan was only for USB based scanners. For SCSI I thought you need Magic Scan.

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak

Michael A
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2000, 06:34 PM

Andy,
I have an Astra 2200 too, with VistaScan 3.6.1. I'm experiencing the system crash when scanning at over 600dpi in the B/W Document mode. Do you have this problem with 3.7? I've already upgraded twice to try and solve it.
Michael

pastusza  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2000, 07:40 PM

I went from 3.5x to 3.7, skipping the 3.6 series completely. I have never had a system crash using the 2200 on my Mac. When I had my Microtek scanner, that thing gave me all sorts of problems with system crashes, so I returned it.

Install the 3.7, you have nothing to loose.

One caveate. I have it hooked up USB and not SCSI. Don't know if that makes a difference....

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak

Michael A
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2000, 05:40 PM

I installed VistaScan 3.7 and it's solved the B/W 600dpi crash problem. It wasn't easy to find. If you go to the Consumer Scanners page and search for the driver for the 2200 you get offered 3.5.4 (3.5.2 in the UK last time I looked). In the end I went to http://www.umax.com/professional/sta...t/download.cfm and selected
the Mac PPC operating system, but didn't select a scanner model. I then
scrolled down the resulting list until I found VistaScan 3.7. No doubt there was a much simpler way.

One thing I notice is how much better these drivers have got. 3.5.2 was a horror that crashed the computer in the middle of installation and installed extensions on top of previous versions. 3.6.1 didn't crash the system and removed previously installed extensions before installing the new ones. And 3.7 not only solved the original problem and behaved itself during installation, it even has what all civilised software should have�an Uninstall option. I could have done with that in the previous versions.

Thanks for alerting me to this, Andy.

Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules