Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How much life in my PowerPC iMac?

How much life in my PowerPC iMac?
maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
May 19, 2006, 04:47 PM

Posted this in the OSX forum as its more PowerPC vs Intel question, but the brilliant mod didn't figure that out. Here was the original post.

I have an iMac, 2GHZ,20inch, rev B right now and I have a couple of questions.

How long will the PowerPC be supported by Apple. I know 10.5 will be universal, but as time goes on, do you think they will continue to support the PowerPC chips when writing 10.6 or 10.7?

I am thinking of getting a Macbook, and at the same time selling my iMac. I don't want to be stuck with a machine that I can't run the latest software on (not pro apps, but system software and internet utilities) 3 years from now. It will only be a light duty machine at that point. If i bought 10.6, would i be able to install it on a PowerPC and an Intel Mac?

Thanks

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
May 19, 2006, 05:16 PM

I would say that you are probably safe for the next 4 years or so.
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM
- Logitech X530 Sound System

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 05:45 PM

Software and the requirements it imposes on hardware always dictates whether your computer will be compatible. Over the next four years new technology will be gradually introduced which could limit your use of certain software. I have an older G3 iMac that can run the latest software but it struggles with some features. For example, I can buy an iSight camera but it will not work because it is not supported for my iMac. Your iMac G5 will not expire after 4 years. You'll just see a significant change in performance and speed.

Unless you need the portability of a MacBook Pro do not switch. Instead, move to the iMac Core Duo 20" and sell the iMac G5 on eBay or somewhere you can get a good price for it. You can get a refurbished iMac from the Apple Store or MacMall. You're not running professional applications so do not invest in a laptop that is geared toward that audience.

ghporter
Administrator
May 19, 2006, 05:54 PM

Maximux, If you ask about a specific iMac, it ain't a "PPC vs. Intel" question. AND we've gone over this ground in depth quite a while ago. Search is your friend. When you find those old threads, you'll note that there have been a number of detailed analyses of the subject with the basic conclusion that MacOS-Fan is pretty much right or overly conservative (they should support PPC machines with OS and utility updates for at least 4 more years).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 06:00 PM

Well some of the last paragraph does not apply. The MacBook matches up to the iMac in almost every way except it has a intel integrated graphics card at 64mb and a smaller screen. But you can always buy an external screen. If you feel this is a viable option than by all means upgrade.

maximusbibicus  (op)
Forum Regular
May 19, 2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell
Software and the requirements it imposes on hardware always dictates whether your computer will be compatible. Over the next four years new technology will be gradually introduced which could limit your use of certain software. I have an older G3 iMac that can run the latest software but it struggles with some features. For example, I can buy an iSight camera but it will not work because it is not supported for my iMac. Your iMac G5 will not expire after 4 years. You'll just see a significant change in performance and speed.

Unless you need the portability of a MacBook Pro do not switch. Instead, move to the iMac Core Duo 20" and sell the iMac G5 on eBay or somewhere you can get a good price for it. You can get a refurbished iMac from the Apple Store or MacMall. You're not running professional applications so do not invest in a laptop that is geared toward that audience.
I appreciate your well thought out answer. I like my machine, and if I know that they are going to keep releasing OSX for the PowerPC for the next 3 years or so, its worth keeping. I might just buy a Macbook to add to my stable. I'll have the best of both worlds.

As for your last point, I see no reason to flip my iMac for an Intel iMac if my machine will be supported for a few years.

I wonder if 3rd party developers will still support PowerPC 3 or 4 years from now.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 19, 2006, 07:30 PM

Considering how long Macs tend to stay in service, and the fact that nearly 100% of Macs out there now are PPC-based, it'll be a LONG time before apps go Intel-only. After the m68K -> PPC switch, most apps went PPC-only long after 68K Macs were long obsolete.

tooki

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2006, 12:50 AM

I was leary about the powerpc software issue before but the universal system works fairly well. As long as "universal" programs are still being written, I assume they will install on PowerPCs. Lets hope for a long time or my ibook will become more outdated that it already is...
My Blog-pakos.me

mrgaskell
Senior User
May 20, 2006, 01:10 AM

I remember at my last school having pre-iMac G3 Mac All-in-ones running as WP and internet workstations. Heck, we still had Mac IIe's still running! Try that on a PC from 1994!
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

synax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2006, 02:43 AM

You also have to remember that the pro machines are still on the ppc chips and will be till later this year. Even though they will too be switching to intel, Apple is not going to leave us high and dry. I have my titanium powerbook g4 which still runs os 9, its about 3 yrs old and the applications are now just starting to require more than my powerbook can handle, but then again its very few that do require more.

cornwallstone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2006, 09:45 AM

The great thing about computers is they stop getting slower when you stop upgrading their software. Then they'll last forever as long as you can get replacements for failed parts. And they can even be made as fast as they were when new by reinstalling the original software.

How long will the PowerPC be supported by Apple. I know 10.5 will be universal, but as time goes on, do you think they will continue to support the PowerPC chips when writing 10.6 or 10.7?
No one here has a crystal ball and can only give a WAG at best. Mine is, probably not in 10.7 (in 2009/2010). 10.6, this time or later in 2008 is more interesting. By that time, Core 2 Duos (Merom, etc), along with the current Core chips, will probably be on the verge of Apple replacing them with 64-bit chips. At that point, a "Universal" OS or application may mean 32 and 64 bit, with possibly no support for PPC. That won't mean your iMac will stop working with 10.5, or that any of the applications available for it will stop being available.

It also may be by that time Apple adopts "activation" and "genuine"-checking of its OS, so you'll need to purchase an OS for each computer. So I don't think anyone can answer your question about installing an OS package you buy on both a PPC and Intel.

You've already taken a big, if not the biggest, hit on depreciation on your PPC iMac. If it does what you need it to do now, keep it. Max out the RAM. That more than cpu makes older computers slower. Remember that buying a MacBook now, you'd be starting the depreciation and march to obsolescence all over again with it.

maximusbibicus  (op)
Forum Regular
May 20, 2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by miniMoe

You've already taken a big, if not the biggest, hit on depreciation on your PPC iMac. If it does what you need it to do now, keep it. Max out the RAM. That more than cpu makes older computers slower. Remember that buying a MacBook now, you'd be starting the depreciation and march to obsolescence all over again with it.
I maxed it out at 2GB a few months ago, and I am realy happy with the machine's performance. My main thing is that I didn't want to be left in the cold a year or two from now by not having a current OS. Looks like I really shouldn't worry. I think I am going to keep it and get a Macbook in addition to it. No rush for that though.

Thanks for your input.

cornwallstone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2006, 10:47 AM

I got 5 years each out of two 68XXX Macs, and was left behind on the second, which continued to do for years what it always had done with System 7, long after the PPC and System 8 were out. When new, these were the equivalent of the Mini, an SE/20 and an LCIII.

Don't let worry spoil your happiness with its performance.

praveen
May 20, 2006, 01:49 PM

Hi everyone, anyway i just bought a imac G5 this feb. Heard from apple sales guy that the current intel is not that stable yet and not every software can be supported. He said that buying a G5 is more worth it and it can still last for about 3 to 4 years. Anyway i believe that a computer should be changed after 3 to 4 years. We need to catch up with technology ya.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 02:51 PM

It is also critically important to remember that you computer doesn't die the second it is no longer supported. There are plenty of people zipping around the internet on OS X 10.3 and 10.2.

Generally speaking, Apple supports the system until it becomes somewhat irrelevant to continue supporting it. I gave my sister an iMac G3 233MHz, and it's still zipping along... and it's been over 7 years.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by tataricxod
Hi everyone, anyway i just bought a imac G5 this feb. Heard from apple sales guy that the current intel is not that stable yet and not every software can be supported. He said that buying a G5 is more worth it and it can still last for about 3 to 4 years. Anyway i believe that a computer should be changed after 3 to 4 years. We need to catch up with technology ya.
Sounds like someone was trying to make a sale

Anyway, the Intel Macs ARE stable... and he was correct that it doesn't work with ALL Mac software (but 95% of the standard software works just fine in Rosetta).

That being said, if I needed a PowerMac today... I would buy a G5. Apple is going to be in transition for a while, so no need to freak out that you just purchased yesterdays technology.

volcano
Senior User
May 20, 2006, 03:18 PM

I have the exact same iMac as you... 2GHz G5, Rev. B w/ 2GB of RAM. It's still fast and plenty zippy for me. I used to have a 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4, but I sold that back in February - simply because the imminent release of the new MacBook would drive down the price of the even older technology of the G4 chip down the fastest.

So what am I doing?
I'm going to keep my iMac for another year or so. I've been saving up my funds - and it looks like I'll be buying a 2.16GHz/256VRAM MacBook Pro relatively soon. Yes, I know Merom chips are coming, and yes, I know that 64-bit technology for Intel's future chipsets is on the way... but I'm not worried, because when I'm fully ready to jump ship for Intel and abandon PPC, I'll just buy the next latest and greatest Intel iMac - which will probably be faster than my MBP with 64-bit technology, and once again my main home machine will be the "powerhouse" it should. That's my thought and 2 cents on the subject, anyway.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
May 20, 2006, 05:03 PM

i'm of the opposing view

i got burnt big time in 1994 when i bought a quadra 840av and a few days , yes days later . they brought out the powermacs , i wasted £8k , equivalent to god knows how much now on a machine that within a year was totally redundant

in those days we didn't have the luxury of the internet , we had something called dealer integrity - yeah , big joke , i know

the lesson i learned was to buy the newest technology , so called unproven even and just GO FOR IT !

i've got the imac intel and anyone who buys a ppc mac must be mad imo , the speed increase is amazing , especially on native stuff

doom 3 is mind blowing compared to my old g4 imac !

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2006, 09:13 PM

I recently upgraded my wife's 17" G5 iMac to the full 2GB of ram and a 250GB hdd. (I LOVE how user-accessible those pre-iSight G5 iMacs are!) She is planning on keeping it at LEAST another 3 years...and I have no doubt it will be well supported.

(even if it isn't, it won't matter to her. She's still on Panther...and will likely fight against an upgrade to Leopard when the time comes. (she doesn't like change))

Forum Links
Forum Rules