Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Noob looking for help securing Windows

Noob looking for help securing Windows
maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
May 30, 2006, 11:23 AM

Howdy!

I am a total windows noob, I've owned nothing but Macs since the early 90's. I've used Windows at work over the last 6 years, but never had to set a system up. I am just an end user, IT takes care of all that.

I just installed XP last night and I was hoping people could give me tips on how to keep my system clear of spyware, pop-ups and viruses. I already shelled out money for XP so i don't really want to have to pay for all that.

Basically I just want to run a clean, secure, stable machine, stay away from viruses and not have a total meltdown in 3 weeks. I am thinking there are people in here very knowledgeble with Windows, and they might know how to tweak a system just right.

This might also be useful for other Windows noobs playing around with Boot Camp.

Any input is appreciated.

Peter

aha8
May 30, 2006, 12:11 PM

return said copy of xp and stick to the mac os?

outside of that, dont use IE, try another browser, run a antivirus and adware/spyware remover, run a firewall, stay away from P2P services like kazaa and limewire

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 12:21 PM

Some advice:
- Use a non-IE browser. I personally suggest Mozilla Firefox, though some may also vote for Opera.
- Check for adware on a regular basis. Lavasoft's Ad-Aware SE is good, as is Spybot. Run them both every few weeks to keep your system spyware-free.
- Get a quality virus scanner. You might want to drop a few bucks on one here. I don't have any personal suggestions, since my university gives me a full free version of Sophos, which is actually pretty nice.

And most importantly, remember that most virus/spyware infections are PEBKACs. Be smart about what you click, what you download, etc. Stay away from P2P whenever possible.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Macola
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 12:26 PM

Good advice...I would add that if you need an antivirus package for personal use, try the free version of AVG Antivirus. Also stay current with Windows Update, or Microsoft Update if you use Office.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

maximusbibicus  (op)
Forum Regular
May 30, 2006, 12:30 PM

Wow, thanks for the tips!

I'll stay away from IE for sure. I switch between Firefox and Safari on OSX, so I am familiar with it.

Thanks for the links to the Ad/Spy ware killers. I'll look them up when i get to the Macbook tonight.

I heard Microsoft has a hole bunch of patches/updates on their site. I'll go install all I can over there too.

Thanks again.

Keep the info coming.

maximusbibicus  (op)
Forum Regular
May 30, 2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Macola
Good advice...I would add that if you need an antivirus package for personal use, try the free version of AVG Antivirus. Also stay current with Windows Update, or Microsoft Update if you use Office.
I don't mind spending 20 or 30 bucks on good anti virus. Is it worth it to get Norton or Sophos or would that free software you mentioned do the job?

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by maximusbibicus
I heard Microsoft has a hole bunch of patches/updates on their site. I'll go install all I can over there too.
No need to visit their website, thankfully. Windows XP has a well-integrated Update Manager, similar to the Software Update included with Mac OS X. It's configured to run and install patches quietly in the background by default, though you can change that. Just be sure to restart your system when it asks, and install pretty much anything it asks. Don't be like some people I know and ignore the little "Would you like to restart your computer now?" popups for longer than necessary... I've seen systems whose users have been ignoring patches for months on end!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 12:40 PM

Download google pack, it has loads of stuff from antivirus, to spyware removal, to desktop search similar to spotlight, along with loads of other stuff
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

maximusbibicus  (op)
Forum Regular
May 30, 2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
No need to visit their website, thankfully. Windows XP has a well-integrated Update Manager, similar to the Software Update included with Mac OS X. It's configured to run and install patches quietly in the background by default, though you can change that. Just be sure to restart your system when it asks, and install pretty much anything it asks. Don't be like some people I know and ignore the little "Would you like to restart your computer now?" popups for longer than necessary... I've seen systems whose users have been ignoring patches for months on end!
Thanks for the tip. I remember it asking me if i wanted to have that work automatically. I said no. Figured i'd set up all the anti virus stuff before going on the net.

You guys are good. Thanks so much.

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2006, 01:38 PM

if you have a virus in the XP partition it will not affect the Mac partition isn't it?. I just wat to know that because when i had a PC with windows even with the antivirus updated i did had some virus... So when i buy an intel Mac to use XP i will try not to use internet under windows at all!! I will just use it for apps that doens't run in Mac.
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DDS
if you have a virus in the XP partition it will not affect the Mac partition isn't it?. I just wat to know that because when i had a PC with windows even with the antivirus updated i did had some virus... So when i buy an intel Mac to use XP i will try not to use internet under windows at all!! I will just use it for apps that doens't run in Mac.
You will need to have the Internet connection set up for Windows update to function, and you don't need to be using any 'internet' apps to vulnerable.
What you could try is ZoneAlarm a FREE software firewall, that pops up an alert whenever an application attempts to access the internet, giving you the option to allow or deny it's request (similar to Little Snitch).

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12
You will need to have the Internet connection set up for Windows update to function, and you don't need to be using any 'internet' apps to vulnerable.
What you could try is ZoneAlarm a FREE software firewall, that pops up an alert whenever an application attempts to access the internet, giving you the option to allow or deny it's request (similar to Little Snitch).
that is a good advice, thanks!
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

Forum Links
Forum Rules