Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Shapeshifter and UnityGK

Shapeshifter and UnityGK
AxelTerizaki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 04:16 AM

Hello there.

I'm currently using UnityGK as a theme (here on InterfaceLift because of my bad eyesight which is easily blinded by light (making the default Aqua quite difficult to use for me.) . The problem is that the theme is old and not supported anymore (the website hosting it isn't online anymore) and there's no way to contact the author I believe.

So, knowing nothing about theme creation / modification, I was wondering if there was a way for someone, or myself if it's not too difficult, to update the theme for it to work with latest versions of MacOSX? My main problem is that lately applications like Atlantis or AdiumX updated the way they handle tabs, and it makes the whole thing pretty ugly because the tabs are not themed like the rest of the application...

Thanks in advance

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2007, 03:16 PM

Hi Axel, I think you'll love Cold I use it now & again on my 10.4.10 works fine also it's all Black ;-)
Improv, Pastence
Link above is developers site

AxelTerizaki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2007, 06:18 PM

Thanks DarkStarRed. I tried Cold and it looks okay to me for the most part. It handles more apps than UnityGK did, but I still have problems.

In AdiumX ever since version 1.1 the tabs in message windows are not themed at all, same goes for tabs in Atlantis for example, or the download window of Unison or Transmit are still not themed. Does anyone have any idea on how to remedy to that? While it's not critical, I'd like to have a nice, coherent visual look.

glypht
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2007, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by AxelTerizaki View Post
there's no way to contact the author I believe.
Hello!

Originally Posted by AxelTerizaki View Post
While it's not critical, I'd like to have a nice, coherent visual look.
I'm afraid that's always going to be a problem with dark themes, due to limitations in Shapeshifter and developers who use non-standard GUI elements/colours in their apps.

executor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2007, 01:44 PM

The themes are fantastic but after a bad experience with Shapeshifter I just can't bring myself to use it. I've seen some themes that come with installers, is there any way to take standard guikit files and make them available as an installer package instead of Shapeshifter files?. Thanks

glypht
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2007, 07:06 AM

Only certain themes can work as installers. An installer can't change certain elements (text colours for instance). You will never see any dark themes as installers, at least not for Tiger - who knows what will happen with future versions of the OS...

Forum Links
Forum Rules