Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The new iPad

The new iPad (Page 4)
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2012, 09:18 PM

Yea, but with the retina display, most people will be holding it at 0.5x the distance, nullifying that fulcrum biceps increase. If anything, they'll develop a smeagol arm.

freudling
Banned
Mar 18, 2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Yea, but with the retina display, most people will be holding it at 0.5x the distance, nullifying that fulcrum biceps increase. If anything, they'll develop a smeagol arm.
You're right, I think we'll all be holding it that way.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2012, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
...small weight differences on these hand held devices can add up to big differences in force on the biceps when reading, for instance.
Yup. Ereading is just one of the major usages where the size/weight of the ~10" iPad is a serious negative. Another is any walkaround usage like reading meters, inspection checklists, etc.

IMO an ~8" iPad is in the pipeline. If not it should be.

-Allen

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2012, 01:21 AM

Just think, a whole generation of Americans developing new arm muscles!

Do you realize how ridiculous that criticism sounds for 1.82 oz (52 grams?)

freudling
Banned
Mar 19, 2012, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post

It translates to an increase of 7% in the amount of force applied to the bicep when holding it to read. Physics and biomechanics... isometric contractions are the most tiring of anything.

You do realize that a mouse weighs a fraction of the iPad yet causes all kinds of strain injuries? Isometric contractions and repetitive strain. In the case of a tablet, many situations when it needs to be held, including Apple Store employees having to hold them all day. Isometric contractions.

I spoke with a Genius today about an issue with my Mini and he was telling me that they were a bit bummed at the increase in weight: they can all feel it.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2012, 05:18 AM

My guess is it's all in your head. Apparently the staff at gizmodo were told their iPad 2s were iPad 3s and everyone commented on how much heavier it was.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2012, 06:07 AM

No, it's quite noticeable.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 19, 2012, 06:28 AM

I didn't notice a difference in weight when holding a 2 and a New in either hand. Yes, I even changed hands-still didn't notice the difference, and I was looking for it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I didn't notice a difference in weight when holding a 2 and a New in either hand. Yes, I even changed hands-still didn't notice the difference, and I was looking for it.
Hah! Glenn, perhaps that's because as an Army man you've presumably spent some time in the gym in the past 25 years, and thus 50 grams doesn't freak you out like the rest of these pussies?

Seriously, though. I just weighed a hardcover book I'm reading and it's about 2 pounds. We're talking less than the size of a normal hardcover book here, and people are figuring it will be a serious negative with ereading and cause force-related arm problems?

(No, it's not like a mouse. At all. The usage pattern isn't remotely close.)

Sounds to me like more of you pussies need to step outside your house. And perhaps do some 10-pound bicep curls or something.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2012, 11:03 AM

It was too heavy to hold with one hand to begin with. Adding another 2 oz makes it worse.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
It was too heavy to hold with one hand to begin with. Adding another 2 oz makes it worse.
Steve was able to hold it all through his last keynote and you can't?

iFitness is long overdue.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2012, 12:46 PM

A much more worthy complaint seems to be overheating:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3810951?tstart=0

Apple's new iPad overheats, irate users complain | CNET UK

For the worst afflicted, exchanging at the Genius Bar seems to be the solution.

So, overheating is a real problem as opposed to weight complaints. Try taking an iPad 3 to the Genius Bar and asking for an exchange because the iPad 3 is too heavy?

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2012, 01:21 PM

At last, some numbers:

IGM: New iPad LTE performance is amazing, plus makes a better hotspot than a MiFi

Comparing a VZ LTE iPad 3 to a MiFi (samsung.) Conclusion: VZ iPad 3 has better antennas (hint: it's bigger!) for better reception in fringe areas.

Here's a thoughtful discussion of choosing VZ vs ATT, along with a speed test for Michigan:

http://terrywhite.com/techblog/verizon-ipad-wifi4g-lte/

The one thing not mentioned is that when you're outside VZ LTE connection, you go from astonishing high connect rates to dismally low connect rates, because VZ 3G connection usually stinks! see here:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...b-32gb-64gb/P4
( Last edited by amazing; Mar 19, 2012 at 02:04 PM. )

andi*pandi
Mar 19, 2012, 02:01 PM

I read on an iPad1 for two hours no prob this week, what helped was having a case with a pocket. I have hand issues as well where they cramp up a lot and no troubles. I look forward to my iPad who shall not be numbered.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2012, 02:32 PM

The new iPad weighs 1.35 pounds not 1.82 ounces. All 3 iPads are overly heavy and/or large for certain very important usages.

I will guess that you have not tried ereading on any flavor of iPad A-B against ereading on the basic Kindle or on a (7.5 ounce) Nook. I have, and the weight of the iPad 1-2-new very seriously degrades the experience.

BTW I am a reasonably strong 200 pound male who prefers the 17" size (or preferably larger) in laptops, no problem with the weight. And for many usages ~10" 1.35 pounds is great for the iPad - - but not for all usages and certainly not for ereading.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Mar 19, 2012 at 02:56 PM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Seriously, though. I just weighed a hardcover book I'm reading and it's about 2 pounds. We're talking less than the size of a normal hardcover book here, and people are figuring it will be a serious negative with ereading...
Yes, it does. See my post just above.

As to comparing against a "2 pound hardcover book" who cares? You simply make my point, because hardcover book sales were down about a third last year alone while ebook sales rose more than 100% in the year.

Plus we are not comparing against (shrinking for years) dinosaur hardcover usage anyway, the point is what best works for the fast-growing ereader market. Although folks like me do eread on an iPad the fact is that it is far less than ideal for ereading and many other usages because of the 3x weight.

Look for a smaller/lighter iPad from Apple at some point.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Mar 19, 2012 at 02:53 PM. )

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
The new iPad weighs 1.35 pounds not 1.82 ounces. All 3 iPads are overly heavy and/or large for certain very important usages.
My point was that it's totally silly to complain about an iPad that weighs 1.82 oz more than the previous version. If that 1.83 oz is too debilitating, or if you think that 1.83 oz will provoke more visits to the chiropractor, the previous version iPad is still available.

Especially when there are more worthwhile issues like overheating, Which we don't know the frequency of...or the severity.

The other thing that's silly to complain about is battery charging time. The battery is 70% larger, it's a fact of life that it will take longer to charge, 6.5 hours rather than 3.5 for the previous version. There is no magic solution to a bigger battery requiring a longer charging time--you can be sure that Apple researched whether a beefier charger would increase problems with overheating.

What is a valid complaint about charging, is that trying to charge via USB to a laptop is probably an exercise in futility. See the reviews above for more detail.

If you want a lightweight reading device, use the Kindle. It won't do anything near as much as the iPad 3, but it won't overtax anybody's musculature.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2012, 03:09 PM

It definitely feels heavier and thicker than my last iPad but the screen makes it more than worth it for me. 99% standard color gamut and insane resolution, yes please!

The weight is all because of the batteries, the new screen consumes 7 watts compared to the ~2.8 watts of the older screens. Hopefully Samsung can refine the screen to make it more efficient.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2012, 03:26 PM

Yes, it does. See my post just above.
It's hard to take your post seriously when you felt the need to italicize and bold the phrase "1.35 pounds" in an apparent effort to emphasize its weight.

As to comparing against a "2 pound hardcover book" who cares? You simply make my point, because hardcover book sales were down about a third last year alone while ebook sales rose more than 100% in the year.
...based on the weight of the medium, and not the convenience?

Look, I'm not saying that a smaller/lighter iPad wouldn't be a Good Thing; I'm just pointing out that you're really splitting hairs that are somewhat ludicrous given the recent history of the medium of "reading." I have an eReader, but I'm not concerned in the least that the extra weight of the iPad is a "serious disadvantage" for reading or will give me a Trogdor arm.

After all the thing weighs 1.35 pounds. See what I did there?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2012, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by spheric
I'm very interested to see how the iPad 3 sales pan out over the next three months.
They'll be off the charts.
Well, they're off to a good start, at least.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2012, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by kenna View Post
Amazing, did it ship a day early?!

I can't wait for mine to arrive tomorrow!!
East coast Australia is almost a full day ahead of west coast USA - hence why I got mine from a store on Friday whilst you were still in Thursday. Just another benefit for being an Aussie

4 people at the start of the line bought 4 cardboard boxes of iPads - I am guessing 12 to a box - approx. 50 iPads.
this sig intentionally left blank

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2012, 11:10 PM

Apple reported they sold 3 million already. They really got their manufacturing in line for this release.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2012, 02:12 AM

That's 100% the Cookster.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2012, 04:33 PM

Finally got a chance to open the boxes from Apple, it's been a very busy week. These are nice, amazing displays, if they were any sharper they'd cut your eyeballs. Objectively, the hardware seems to be about the same speed as the iPad 2, but 4G is a lot more zippy. I like it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2012, 08:26 AM

Yeah, screen is pretty amazing. I don't notice any difference in speed whatsoever compared to iPad 2s that I've played with...I don't know if it will be a better gaming machine but I'm not much of a gamer any more so not sure if/when I'll find out.

Alright guys: is there a way to access and/or play .avi/.mkv/etc. files that are on my iMac?

Also: does every app have to be its own icon? There's the iBooks app, but to get Amazon books I got the Kindle app, and to get free books I got a free-book app. So now I've got at least 3 different apps for eBooks. Is there any way to make all those eBooks appear in the iBooks app? Same thing with Newsreader app - the NYT app shows up in Newsreader, but a Globe and Mail app shows up as a separate icon - why wouldn't it be in the Newsreader app with the other news outlets? Weird...it's sort of annoying.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2012, 08:47 AM

Publishers are idiots and desperate to find their own independent ways of continuing their business models. Expect no sensible cooperation for some while yet.

Group apps to folders instead.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2012, 08:50 AM

Also, AirVideo requires a server to be running on the computer, but it will transcode and send across the interwebs, too.

AcePlayer will do what you ask. I got it for free a while ago, no idea what it costs.

Is VLC still around?

-Q-
Mar 21, 2012, 09:51 AM

I've found AirVideo to be quite useful for watching things remotely. I do have a mediaPC running all the time, so it does make it easy.

Plex also offers similar functionality but also requires connecting to a computer on your home network for streaming.

If you have books purchased through a Nook, those are compatible with iBooks. Otherwise, I think your best option is grouping everything into folders, like Spheric suggested.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2012, 10:42 AM

Alright guys: is there a way to access and/or play .avi/.mkv/etc. files that are on my iMac?

Also: does every app have to be its own icon? There's the iBooks app, but to get Amazon books I got the Kindle app, and to get free books I got a free-book app. So now I've got at least 3 different apps for eBooks. Is there any way to make all those eBooks appear in the iBooks app? Same thing with Newsreader app - the NYT app shows up in Newsreader, but a Globe and Mail app shows up as a separate icon - why wouldn't it be in the Newsreader app with the other news outlets? Weird...it's sort of annoying.
You can use AirVideo as others have mentioned but that will require your computer to be on to serve up and transcode the content.

I personally use AV Player HD. It allows you to playback many different file format stored locally on the iPad and you can turn the app into an FTP server so you can transfer your video files via your web browser over WiFi. You can also manage all the media files locally.

Regarding all the book apps, really the best you can do is drag one on top of the other and put them all in a "Books" folder.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2012, 12:05 PM

Sometimes you can simply convert them to mp4 and they'll work. Takes about 20 seconds. They have to have the right codecs already though.

For me though it's usually not worth the hassle of file conversion or running third party streaming apps. I just use my laptop or my Blu-ray player.

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 21, 2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Is VLC still around?
It was the one app that didn't transfer over the air from my old iPad to the new one. I imagine this is because it was yanked from the store.
Like Eug said above, converting is super easy. You can just do a batch job in Handbrake.

So far:
new screen is great
feels faster on tasks that involve graphics (drawing things quickly onscreen)
gets a bit hotter than the iPad2

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2012, 01:32 PM

There's a long thread on Apple Discussions about sub-par WiFi connections:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Reception close to a router may be fine, but range drops off precipitously compared to iPad 1 and 2, iPhone 4 or laptops, plus disconnects, SBOD, etc.

Sometimes an exchange with the merchant results in an iPad with better WiFi, sometimes not.

Here's a quote from the thread:

"I received my new iPad by mail on March 16 and noticed the wifi problem almost right away. It would lose connection in parts of my home where my phone and iPad 2 had full signal.
I made an appointment with a Genius for the next morning, and they gave me a new one with no questions asked. They could see that it had a weak signal even in the Apple Store, which is blanketed with wifi. The one I got from the store has no wifi issues at all. We did open the box and check to make sure the replacement unit got a strong signal before leaving the store."

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
Like Eug said above, converting is super easy. You can just do a batch job in Handbrake.
Yes, you can do it this way, and it's actually probably the safest way to make fully iPad-friendly files, but what I was talking about was just changing the container.

For some MKV files you can simply re-package them to mp4 without transcoding anything. Takes 20 seconds (as opposed to hours with Handbrake transcoding).

However, like I said, I usually don't bother with either these days. The easiest thing to do is not to repackage anything, and not to transcode anything, and just buy hardware that will play them as is. eg. Laptop with vlc, Blu-ray player, other media player, etc. That's one reason I don't use my iPad or my Apple TV much.

freudling
Banned
Mar 21, 2012, 02:32 PM

The new iPad weighs 1.35 pounds
Just to correct this, the new iPad weighs 1.44 lbs. (Wifi); 1.46 lbs. (Wifi + 4G).

The iPad 2 weighs 1.33 lbs. (Wifi); 1.35 lbs. (Wifi + 3G).

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2012, 02:52 PM

Whoops.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2012, 10:50 PM

I just wanted to jump in on this.
The weight difference is truly not that big of a deal and my new iPad does get noticably hot in the documented area, but not to the point that it is uncomfortable like laptops used to.
I personally am ok with this tradeoff for a screen that literally blows the doors off of my current ten iMac 27 and my 1080p Plasma TV. There just is no comparison.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2012, 12:02 AM

If you sear a piece of salmon on the back, does it taste like magic?

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2012, 12:41 AM

weight: no problem. Check.

heat: no problem. Check.

wifi reception/range: yes, problem.

Apple's looking into it. Meantime, if you have the problem, take it back before the 10 days are up, see if you can get a decent one at the store.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2012, 12:48 AM

Just got mine from MacMall, oh wow! The screen is awesome, so much easier to read fine print compared to the original iPad. It feels lighter too, I know the diference is small, so maybe it's the form factor, it sits really well in my left paw. It just took 12 minutes to re-create the old one on the New. The left lower back does get warm, not hot.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2012, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
Just got mine from MacMall, oh wow! The screen is awesome, so much easier to read fine print compared to the original iPad. It feels lighter too, I know the diference is small, so maybe it's the form factor, it sits really well in my left paw. It just took 12 minutes to re-create the old one on the New. The left lower back does get warm, not hot.
thanks, I could not describe it, just warm, not hot at all...
big deal about nothing if you asked me... not that you did, just saying
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

freudling
Banned
Mar 22, 2012, 06:32 AM

Some of us here find the extra weight annoying. We were spoiled by the "lightness" of the iPad 2. We're talking reading for long periods of time.

While it's overpriced and smaller than the iPad, I dream of a day when 9-10" tablets are hitting the 400s and maybe even 300ish gram range, like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/21/s...-wireless-lte/

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
thanks, I could not describe it, just warm, not hot at all...
The 1st gen MacBook Air was like sticking your junk in a George Foreman Grill.

freudling
Banned
Mar 22, 2012, 04:59 PM

Wow complaints today. People's iPad 3s are getting really warm all over. Mine is annoying. The whole back seems to spread around the heat. The iPad 2 in our use is much, much cooler.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2012, 06:02 PM

Wow complaints today. People's iPad 3s are getting really warm all over. Mine is annoying. The whole back seems to spread around the heat. The iPad 2 in our use is much, much cooler.
Hmm, your hands must be incredibly sensitive or you only play demanding games most of the time.

The back of mine gets warm when I watch a HD movie/show or play a game but definitely nowhere near it being uncomfortable.

freudling
Banned
Mar 23, 2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Hmm, your hands must be incredibly sensitive or you only play demanding games most of the time.

The back of mine gets warm when I watch a HD movie/show or play a game but definitely nowhere near it being uncomfortable.
All 8 of us feel the same way. In addition, I've been to 4 different stores... my partner and I. At every one the iPad 3s were warm... much warmer than the iPad 2s on display. There is an actual, real difference.

I'm not saying it's "hot", but definitely warm. Almost too warm for extended periods of holding.

From my reading, there's a simple explanation. It's a combination of additional LEDs, a bigger battery, and a larger SOC. In other words, it's the Retina Display: all this extra stuff is required to drive it to give it performance on par with the iPad 2.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2012, 08:42 AM

Some of us here find the extra weight annoying. We were spoiled by the "lightness" of the iPad 2. We're talking reading for long periods of time.

While it's overpriced and smaller than the iPad, I dream of a day when 9-10" tablets are hitting the 400s and maybe even 300ish gram range, like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 review (Verizon Wireless LTE) -- Engadget
It's so funny to see you complaining about the weight of 10" tablets and pointing to the appealing aspects of 7" tablets ...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2012, 08:53 AM

Not really.

He's not asking for a 7" tablet, just for a lighter 10" tablet.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2012, 01:58 PM

It's hard to take your post seriously when you felt the need to italicize and bold the phrase "1.35 pounds" in an apparent effort to emphasize its weight.

I have an eReader, but I'm not concerned in the least that the extra weight of the iPad is a "serious disadvantage" for reading or will give me a Trogdor arm.

After all the thing weighs 1.35 pounds. See what I did there?
Sorry but I do not understand your point. Perhaps you misunderstood me to just be discussing the marginal weight differences among iPads; I was not.

- Yes the bold italics was to emphasize the weight (should have been ~1.45 pounds). And the weight (which does vary) issue applies to all 3 iPads.

-Yes I do consider the weight of iPads to be a "serious disadvantage" for reading. Apparently you disagree, which is your prerogative. Everyone else I know who has done a real comparison by spending many hours reading on both device sizes considers the 3x weight of the iPad to be a significant disadvantage. Not in a desk type reading position, but when laying down, lounging, etc.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Mar 23, 2012 at 02:07 PM. )

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2012, 02:38 PM

The original iPad weighs 1.6 pounds. It's funny but I don't remember any publicity at that point in time about increased chiropractic adjustments or other such ills? Maybe the US geek population has gotten significantly weaker since that time, so much so that your average geek can no longer support 1.45 pounds?

The weight is a non-issue. Yes, it would be heavenly if it were lighter, but folks wanted LTE, folks wanted a resource-consuming display, and you therefore get a 70% larger battery.

Here I am imagining that the folks complaining about the weight are the same folks who go to the gym to do arm curls...perhaps they're even the same folks that take elevators whenever possible instead of taking the stairs?

Doncha think they're way better issues to talk about than the measly 1.83 oz difference? When you put the weight in context, it's no big deal.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2012, 03:20 PM

The weight is a non-issue. Doncha think they're way better issues to talk about than the measly 1.83 oz difference? When you put the weight in context, it's no big deal.
The weight is a huge issue. Not the 2 oz. differences among iPad versions but the large differences with competing products, like triple the weight of a Nook for ereading usage for instance. That is the context.

Of course there are other usages and of course there are downsides to smaller. However for many folks ereading the size/weight is enough disadvantage that they will select a lighter device. My family, for instance, has both sizes and pretty much never ereads on the iPad size. That matters a lot because what one ereads on is what one is inclined to buy content via. Hmm...

Not to mention walkaround apps which are so important in the enterprise and often also work better on smaller/lighter.

IMO Apple will not discontinue ~10" but will add a smaller/lighter version. If I was Apple I would make special cannot-pass-up content deals available with purchase of a smaller iPad that conditioned new users into the process of buying content using the iPad. Something like buy an iPad get half off on your first 10 ebooks.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Mar 23, 2012 at 03:34 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules