Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dumb pet peve

Dumb pet peve
MacsGalor
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 08:19 PM

I just heard the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" sung by someone again and it always ticks me off that they change the words in the last verus. The correct lyrics should be...

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea, With a glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me. As he died to make men holy, let us die to make men free, While God is marching on.

but nowadays everyone changes it to "let us live to make men free" DAMN people it is the BATTLE hymn quit taking away it true meaning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our society has become a bunch of sissy @$$ bitches.

Do you agree or disagree? I just had to rant but I'm better now

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2004, 08:24 PM

My dumb pet peeve is when you ask somebody a question and they say "What?" and then answer the question immediately afterwards like they heard me the first time just fine...

What?

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2004, 08:31 PM

Indeed, wanting to live instead of die makes me a sissy @$$ bitch.

I can't imagine if I was going into battle that this last verse would give me much confidence on the appending conflict... although perhaps it prepares the men for death better.

I personally don't think people want to die for this country (America - from my american-centric view) as much as perhaps in the past because the reasons why you're going to die in battle isn't necessarially under circumstances that you think warrant death. I think the difference would be Afghanistan versus Iraq - one has clear justification, the other doesn't seem so clear.

Matt Fahrenbacher

talisker
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 08:36 PM

Mind you, it's not often you hear much about Christ's bosoms. Maybe he was fatter than we're usually led to imagine, and had boy-boobs.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
Mind you, it's not often you hear much about Christ's bosoms. Maybe he was fatter than we're usually led to imagine, and had boy-boobs.
Bossom means chest not breasts - they aren't synonymous (although must guys think they are)

Matt Fahrenbacher

MacsGalor  (op)
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
Indeed, wanting to live instead of die makes me a sissy @$$ bitch.

I personally don't think people want to die for this country (America - from my american-centric view) as much as perhaps in the past because the reasons why you're going to die in battle isn't necessarially under circumstances that you think warrant death. I think the difference would be Afghanistan versus Iraq - one has clear justification, the other doesn't seem so clear.

Matt Fahrenbacher
That�s not the point. Too many men fought and died marching off to that hymn. By changing it you cheapen their memory. It�s like when someone says that someone "won" the Medal of Honor. There is no contest nobody wins or loses they receive it. So you would say that "Henry Erwin received the Medal of Honor for his actions" as apposed to "won the"

And if you ever ask any true warrior they would tell you that they would rather die gloriously in battle than of old age.

talisker
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
Bossom means chest not breasts - they aren't synonymous (although must guys think they are)

Matt Fahrenbacher
I did know that believe it or not, I simply couldn't resist the opportunity for a cheap gag.

talisker
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by MacsGalor:

And if you ever ask any true warrior they would tell you that they would rather die gloriously in battle than of old age.
Actually I bet if you asked any soldier who's actually fought in a war, who we should rightly be honouring, they would say the complete opposite. Sod the "true warrior".

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 14, 2004, 02:15 AM

My biggest pet peeve is when my wife starts saying something and in the middle of it says "Oh, Nevermind". I finally got around to harassing her and she told me why she does it. She say that when she is thinking it it makes sense, but when she says it, it sounds loony and doesn't want to embarrass herself.

Her biggest pet peeve is me always insisting our next dog will be named "Peeve".

Cipher13
Jan 14, 2004, 02:22 AM

Either way, lyrics should not be changed from the original. Ever.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 14, 2004, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Either way, lyrics should not be changed from the original. Ever.
Amen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules