Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone in Colorado Springs

Anyone in Colorado Springs
MacsGalor
Senior User
Feb 1, 2004, 09:35 PM

I just found out that I will be moving out to Colorado Springs. Does anyone live there and/or have anything helpful to say about it? How much are the average apt costs, is it a nice area, ect? Thanks

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2004, 10:45 PM

Nice area. Hopefully you are white, christian, and military. It's just another city.

Just kidding... kinda. But it is a nice place. Coming from DC you'll love it. Tons of sunshine. High altitude (6000 ft above sea level), so air is thin and massive physical exertsion will wear you down initially. No humidity at all. About 100 f max in the summer, about 0 f min in winter, but these temperatures are extremes.

Good luck, it's a beautiful place!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

MacsGalor  (op)
Senior User
Feb 1, 2004, 10:47 PM

Well, as I am all three of those I guess I am in for a good time. Thanks

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2004, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Nice area. Hopefully you are white, christian, and military. It's just another city.

Good luck, it's a beautiful place!
what does that have to do with anything?

i have been to the olympic training center in colorado springs 9 times, and its not like that.

there are many gangs though.

its absolutely beautiful though. go check out the little city called Manatu Springs underneath NORAD's Cheyenne mountain.

and take a camera. lots of cool indian dwellings and stuff
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2004, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by MacsGalor:
Well, as I am all three of those I guess I am in for a good time. Thanks
Co springs a bit conservative. Of course it's loaded with military, and seems to have attracted some religious groups as well, like Focus on the Family, and (I think) Promise Keepers.

That being said, the only people I know who have had a problem with The Springs are waaaaay left leaning people I know. It's a nice place. Garden of the Gods is cool. Cheyenne Mountain zoo. Pikes Peak International raceway is south. Better Airport than Denver's DIA pos. Great miniture golf (way better than Denver area). Closest Apple store is about an hour north on the south edge of the Denver metro area(Denver has 2 of 'em).

best thing about Colorado is we have a smokin' Hockey team (the Avs)... not a smoked one!

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2004, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Co springs a bit conservative. Of course it's loaded with military, and seems to have attracted some religious groups as well, like Focus on the Family, and (I think) Promise Keepers.

That being said, the only people I know who have had a problem with The Springs are waaaaay left leaning people I know. It's a nice place. Garden of the Gods is cool. Cheyenne Mountain zoo. Pikes Peak International raceway is south. Better Airport than Denver's DIA pos. Great miniture golf (way better than Denver area). Closest Apple store is about an hour north on the south edge of the Denver metro area(Denver has 2 of 'em).

best thing about Colorado is we have a smokin' Hockey team (the Avs)... not a smoked one!
garden of the gods kicks major A!

true story, we were up there and wind kicked up while we were on some unbelievable winds kicked up and blew my hat off my head.

we were really high up on some rocks and my hat was just hovering in front of me for almost a minute.

it was so wierd, it was just out of reach and there was no chance of me trying to grab it because i risked a 6+ story drop if i fell

great experience, and beautiful scenery

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2004, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by mixin visuals:
i have been to the olympic training center in colorado springs 9 times, and its not like that.

there are many gangs though.
Gangs are everywhere. Springs is prolly no worse than Denver, and prolly a breath of fresh air compared to DC.

What'd'ya train for at Springs?

MacsGalor  (op)
Senior User
Feb 1, 2004, 11:26 PM

Do any of you know what the housing is like, pricewise? Mainly looking at apt's and something close to Cheyenne Mt. Thanks again

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2004, 11:31 PM

wish i could help. you are gonna have fun there though. use your camera daily. be prepared for a 75 degree days, followed by snowing 20 degree days.

i live in delaware, so i am near you too. the rockies make things crazy weatherwise

MacsGalor  (op)
Senior User
Feb 1, 2004, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by mixin visuals:
wish i could help. you are gonna have fun there though. use your camera daily. be prepared for a 75 degree days, followed by snowing 20 degree days.

i live in delaware, so i am near you too. the rockies make things crazy weatherwise
Originally I am from Minnesota so I am used to nasty weather -60 with the windchill in the winter then 105 in the summer. Can't say that I miss that but I am excited about the move. The only thing that I know I will miss is haveing 2 Apple stores within 30 minutes of my house

edit: BTW how do you make the degree symbol, I forget.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2004, 11:39 PM

Manitou Springs area is the place to be. A great downtom area with amazing shops and natural spring fountains on some corners you can drink from (tastes like carbinated water). Just get a place that is on the second floor, they get flooded sometimes.

http://www.manitousprings.org/
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules