Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Stock new 52 wk high

Apple Stock new 52 wk high
MacsGalor
Senior User
Mar 4, 2004, 05:41 PM

Oh yeah baby keep going I wanna see 28. Its been a bit since it was above 25 I think it was nov or Octoberish. Not really that big a deal but I'm still makin money

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAPL&d=v1
( Last edited by MacsGalor; Mar 4, 2004 at 05:48 PM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 4, 2004, 05:51 PM

Of course, you could be making money on a ton of stocks out there. The market in general has been pretty good lately.

http://www.nyse.com/cgi-bin/idd_char...61460830199798

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2004, 06:03 PM

Today there is a $1.24 jump in the value of the stock. What happened? Is there something that the business world knows that we don't?
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2004, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by tkmd:
Today there is a $1.24 jump in the value of the stock. What happened? Is there something that the business world knows that we don't?
They know less...

Remember, after the G5 came out (arguably the fastest PC available)... the stock went down.

I would like to see a study of the pump the stock gets before MacWorlds... say buy 3 months before and sell the day before... how much would you make in a 2 year period?

MacsGalor  (op)
Senior User
Mar 4, 2004, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
They know less...

Remember, after the G5 came out (arguably the fastest PC available)... the stock went down.

I would like to see a study of the pump the stock gets before MacWorlds... say buy 3 months before and sell the day before... how much would you make in a 2 year period?
I don't have any numbers but I follow Apples stock and don't remember big increases around MacWorld's. Of Course I do have a poor memory

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2004, 06:17 PM

Today there is a $1.24 jump in the value of the stock. What happened?
Strong financial news is always a good sign...

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...=1078409763000

djohnson
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2004, 08:32 PM

Hmm Now if I still had my Apple stock....

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2004, 08:53 PM

Bush isn't getting reelected.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

busket68
Banned
Mar 4, 2004, 10:02 PM

I'm selling tomorrow. AAPL can kiss my freakin' ass, I purchased it WAY before OSX came out and it hasn't moved at all. Screw having stock in this company.

- Ca$h

MacsGalor  (op)
Senior User
Mar 4, 2004, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by busket68:
I'm selling tomorrow. AAPL can kiss my freakin' ass, I purchased it WAY before OSX came out and it hasn't moved at all. Screw having stock in this company.

- Ca$h
What did you buy it at?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2004, 10:23 PM

I purchased it WAY before OSX came out and it hasn't moved at all.
It moved today...

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 11:17 PM

I was close to buying when it was at 13. damn me for being a poor High School student.

MacsGalor  (op)
Senior User
Mar 5, 2004, 11:44 AM

Its doing it again today 25 seemed to be a barrior for awhile but it might break 28 today

I think I'll sell if it goes above 30

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Bush isn't getting reelected.
Are you wanting to have your taxes increased?

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

soul searching
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 12:41 PM

At 26.418 (+5.0%) right now. It might break 28 today.

Off topic, but:
Originally posted by wdlove:
Assuming Bush gets reelected and leaves taxes alone, it will not matter that you have more money because the value of the dollar will go down, partially, because the deficit will be so large. (Per Greenspan's comments to the economic committee).

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

ambush
Banned
Mar 5, 2004, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
No, he probably just wants his country back...

busket68
Banned
Mar 5, 2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by MacsGalor:
What did you buy it at?
18 something, a LONG LONG LONG time ago. OSX came out. The stock didn't move. The iPod came out. The stock didn't move. The tibooks came out, the g4 towers, the G4, the flat panel imacs, and apple reports HUGE profits that greatly exceeded their expectations. The stock didn't move. It doesn't make any ****ing sense. Apple is doing great, and their stock never moves. Now that it's above 25, FINALLY, I sold it today. Then, in a month or so, when it goes back down to 15 or whatever, I'll probably buy it and wait for it to get back up to the low 20s, then sell again.

Anyway, it just goes to show you that the rest of the world doesn't know anything; apple has been doing EXTREMELY well, especially in comparison to most tech companies, yet it's stock was NOT as lucrative as I thought it'd be.

- Rob

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2004, 09:38 PM

as long as apple keeps making money, innovating, and being the best (in my eyes at least) then who really cares about the stock.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

MacsGalor  (op)
Senior User
Mar 5, 2004, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
as long as apple keeps making money, innovating, and being the best (in my eyes at least) then who really cares about the stock.
I see your point but I own stock in Apple so I care

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2004, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by MacsGalor:
I see your point but I own stock in Apple so I care

i guess i understand that, i'd like to own some stock in apple, but i figure i buy enough from them so i dont really have money to buy stock. i remember a few years ago after the imac came out wasn;t apple up around $50???

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

busket68
Banned
Mar 5, 2004, 11:42 PM

People who own stock in apple, duh.

- Rob

dtriska
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2004, 12:02 AM

18 something, a LONG LONG LONG time ago.
Assuming you bought the stock three years ago, you've made roughly 11% each year, and you're complaining?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2004, 12:14 AM

i remember a few years ago after the imac came out wasn;t apple up around $50???
AAPL was in the upper $70's from the fall of '98 to Summer of '99....after the January MWSF '00, Apple was up to $130 by March...

Boy, have times changed...

dtriska
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2004, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
AAPL was in the upper $70's from the fall of '98 to Summer of '99....after the January MWSF '00, Apple was up to $130 by March...

Boy, have times changed...
Don't get confused by the stock split in June, 2000. Apple's adjusted price hasn't been higher than $70 or so, ever.

busket68
Banned
Mar 6, 2004, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by dtriska:
Assuming you bought the stock three years ago, you've made roughly 11% each year, and you're complaining?
\

Yes.

- Rob

dtriska
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2004, 03:57 AM

\

Yes.

- Rob
LOL! Fair enough.

busket68
Banned
Mar 6, 2004, 10:57 AM

For a company that brought out OSX, tibooks, iPods, and FP imacs, and now the new G5, it should be much higher.

- Rob

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2004, 11:18 AM

i have wanted to buy apple stocks for a long time. but the damn thing is so boring! how long has it been in the 20's? pretty damn long I am sure.

John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2004, 11:42 AM

Now that it's above 25, FINALLY, I sold it today. Then, in a month or so, when it goes back down to 15 or whatever, I'll probably buy it and wait for it to get back up to the low 20s, then sell again.
�ash this is probably a good call.

(If I were brave enough to buy Apple stock, I'd know pretty damn well by now that these highs are never permanent)

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2004, 11:51 AM

The average stock return is 11%. Some years worse, some better. To get 11% per year after 3 years is pretty darn good.

You have to remember, part of the reason the stock price isn't higher is that Apple in a lot of ways is viewed as small potatoes. The market share isn't there, the product line was much smaller in 98, there aren't a lot of government contracts or enterprise contracts, much of the international market is addressed by resellers and not Apple, and rumours do have an impact on recommendations.

So you can either view it as undervalued and wait for it to reach its potential, or see it for the deal it is, given that it is returning on average what the market returns. When an investment does that, it's best to buy in, and use it for generating retirement income, not quick cash. It's also best to do that for a number of different areas, such as pharmaceuticals and publishing, not just tech.

11% is good. More is high expectations that haven't been proven sustainable. Bubbles pop. The question is, once you suspect a bubble, how will you know when to get out before it pops? That's why long term investing is more sound than daytrading.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

busket68
Banned
Mar 6, 2004, 12:40 PM

I did buy it as a long term investment, thinking that after the release of OSX it would go up, and after the ipod, and new iMacs, it would continue to rise. After having it get near 23 for a while, then dropping down to 15, then sitting at around 20 for freaking EVER, I'm sick of it. I sold at 26. something, and I'll repurchase more when (and it will) gets low again.

- Rob

Truepop
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2004, 03:28 PM

I bought some Apple stock around Mac OS X 10.0 at 21 because it had been going up and up for the past few months. Within a week of buying it dropped down to 17 and I a held on until it went back up to 20 and sold... It then dropped and dropped and I was tempted to buy it at 12 because I thought it couldn't go any lower but sadly I had no money that the time because I had bought a car... I could have nearly doubled my money almost in a year

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2004, 04:19 PM

Something more interesting here.

AAPL

PIXR

of course.. that's a mistake.. Pixar is at 66.62.

disectamac
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 11:57 PM

WHY?

27.40 a share and the nasdaq is down below 2000. I read something about a possible apple buyout by sony but i haven't seen anything near concrete to support that possibility. Still, even so the little attention that article got just doesn't explain why Apple's stock is performing so well. what's going on?

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2004, 04:15 AM

Apple stock value is underperformed the first place. The stock is driven up more of because of the iPod mini being sold out everywhere. Sony buyout news has a small effect, but since most know it's not true, that's just that.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

soul searching
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 04:44 PM

Well, Prudential Equity Group thinks it's going to come back down:
It would appear to us that at a 70% premium to Dell, which itself has historically enjoyed a rich multiple, Apple's valuation has become expensive, and we believe the shares will likely trade back down through the first half.
and
Though we remain impressed with Apple's innovation, product portfolio, and store success, we do not yet have the necessary conviction that iPod or iTunes momentum will carry through materially into the company's other, more important, core product areas
Linkage (Forbes online story).

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

Forum Links
Forum Rules