Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead (Page 2)
bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2010, 04:03 PM

Nice warm up...slow jog. hah!
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2010, 07:22 PM

If this actually happened in modern day America I know where I would want to be caught...my parents' house in southern Florida. It's in the hurricane zone and it's built to withstand a whollap. The walls are concrete, every door and window has steel shutters and the garage door is steel reinforced. The backyard has a 10' concrete wall and there is a pool that can be used to collect rainwater. The development we live in also has a 10' high wall and a single point of entry. We have provisions for an extended stay and I'd feel safe in this house.

Even if the dead were clawing at the walls we'd be fine. They'd never get in. I'd go on the roof and start aiming with a rifle.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 12:36 PM

‘The Walking Dead’ Lets Go Of Writers; Considers No Writing Staff For Season 2 – Deadline.com
I hear The Walking Dead writer/ executive producer/ director Frank Darabont has let go of the writers on the hot freshman AMC series, which has already renewed for a second season. That includes Darabont's No. 2, writing executive producer Charles “Chic” Eglee. Writer turnover on series between seasons is commonplace but wholesale overhauls are unusual. What's more, I hear Darabont is looking to forgo having a writing staff for the second season of Walking Dead altogether and assign scripts to freelancers.
Weird.

bstone
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2010, 12:41 PM

It can't be much worse than what we've seen. The last 2 episodes have been really bad. The last one was the worst. They live in a place where zombies can attack from 360 degrees and they aren't keeping up even a token vigilance at night? Ridiculous!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2010, 12:57 PM

I just assumed there were no writers, judging from the crap I'm being subjected to.
Yet, I can't look away. Maybe it's the frail hope that the entire cast will be eaten.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 01:01 PM

I must not have been paying attention. I didn't realize the early praise had been slowly turning to criticism. My friends were still raving about it at the bar last week.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2010, 01:45 PM

I enjoyed the first 2-hour show, really - I did.
But each episode seems to move the plot slower along, as if the writers had little to write about and so resorted to somewhat cliched sub plots to generate conflict (not all of them bad). Some people love the show, which is fine. Like I said, I still watch.

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I enjoyed the first 2-hour show, really - I did.
But each episode seems to move the plot slower along, as if the writers had little to write about and so resorted to somewhat cliched sub plots to generate conflict (not all of them bad). Some people love the show, which is fine. Like I said, I still watch.
Which goes directly to what I said at the start. This material doesn't lend itself to continuously interesting television subject matter in a series format. 6 episode story arcs is about the longest they'd be able to keep people's attention before it gets repetitive and boring. They will turn people's interest off if they go to 13 or more episodes per season.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2010, 06:16 PM

I'm still keeping up with the show. I like how it's not cheesy like I had feared. The show is more about the struggle for survival with the zombies being more a backdrop as opposed to a typical "I want your braaaiiiinnnnssss!!!" type of movie. Though at the same time I agree with some of the criticism of some points in the plot. After the zombies showed up in camp the first time and someone said "They never come this far up the mountain!" or something to that effect ... my question the next episode was "WTF are they still there?" And even if they needed to stay put for a minute ... "WTF are the men not on post guarding the camp?" Everybody's just sitting around chilling! But anyway, I'm looking forward to Season 2. We'll see how long the show keeps my interest.

OAW

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2010, 08:22 AM

meh

It was all downhill from the premier.
The last two episodes were horrible. The finale was so unsophisticated and predictable that i find it hard to believe a professional writer was involved at all.

And I hope she is HIV positive rather than being preggo. That would be a more satisfying of a plot twist.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2010, 10:51 AM

cheers,

to crappy writing.

Thorzdad
Dec 7, 2010, 11:16 AM

Gotta agree that 1/2-season finale was about as empty and unsatisfying as a rice cake. Why even bring-up the CDC if, as soon as they get there, you blow it up? Since the first episode, the CDC has been hanging there in the background as something important. I guess the gang got a meal out of it.

So, now it's a show about a rag-tag group of surviving humans, searching for a home, while avoiding death at the hands of evil forces? BSG, but with zombies and a Winnebago?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2010, 11:18 AM

I like how the survivors have to ride around in their own cars.

bstone
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2010, 12:58 PM

Like a rock falling off a cliff. Starts out high and falls real quick.

-Q-
Dec 7, 2010, 01:44 PM

Just echoing the feedback of everyone else here - really unsatisfying ending to an excellent start. Starting to understand why Darabont wants to fire his writers.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2010, 02:12 PM

I thought it was stupid from the very first episode.

No one thought to drive on the other side of the freeway, you know, where there aren't any cars. The guy doesn't siphon gasoline from the thousands of cars already there, but instead drives... nay, rides a horse into a city.

My brain hurt just watching it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

bstone
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2010, 04:05 PM

-Q-
Dec 7, 2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
AMC has historically had a long break between seasons of their shows. They do the same for Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2010, 04:36 PM

A year is not a long break. That's completely normal.

-Q-
Dec 7, 2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
A year is not a long break. That's completely normal.
For cable, perhaps. For broadcast shows in the states, there's usually only a 4-5 month break over the summer.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2010, 05:10 PM

You're looking at it the wrong way. New seasons typically start one year after the last started.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2010, 06:02 PM

I'm not sure if this site was put up by the author or if it's unofficial, but here's the original comic. twd-comix.info

I thought the middle episodes were really weak for a lot of the reasons others have mentioned. The finale still had a lot of flaws, but I enjoyed it. I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else, but someone pointed out that the CDC served a purpose for a 6 series story arc. If the series didn't do well, CDC cures the disease and wraps up the story nicely. If the series gets popular, it's just the first of many wrong turns for this group.

My biggest criticism is that there are not enough zombies incorporated into the show. Besides flashbacks, there weren't any zombies in the finale until after he finally got to use that grenade.

As to what he whispered at the end, It's probably either "She's pregnant and it's not yours" or "She's pregnant and it's a zombabie."

Thorzdad
Dec 7, 2010, 06:13 PM

Or "You're a hybrid human/zombie." Remember, according to his friend, his heart had stopped in the hospital.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Or "You're a hybrid human/zombie." Remember, according to his friend, his heart had stopped in the hospital.
Ha, it's hard to listen for a slow heartbeat when you're adrenaline rushed out of your mind, but I won't count anything out from the writers that have put it together so far. I think it's more likely he actually said something like, "if you die here, the series is over and maybe you can get an acting job somewhere else. If you go on, there will be no doubt whatsoever that the only good actor in your group is the asian kid. None of you will ever work again." Then the old guy realized he's a better actor than the rest and rejoining the group will help his career.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2010, 06:56 PM

Don't get all the hatred for this show, I fully enjoyed the whole season.

When it comes to TV horror what else is there?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2010, 07:31 PM

I thought the season was entertaining overall. I'm not a comic book guy so I can't speak for how reflective it was of the original story. But it was pretty good ... notwithstanding some of the glaring oversights that make you go WTF. Like olePigeon said about siphoning gas from the thousands of cars lined up along the highway. Or the windows not blowing out on the cars when the CDC blew up. But other than stuff like that it was a cool series to watch. Apparently a lot of people think the same since the season finale was the highest rated basic cable episode. Ever. Don't like how the season was so short. Like it even less that we have to wait till next freaking Halloween for more. Usually with a short season like that more comes about six months later. Don't know what AMC is smoking with this decision here.

OAW

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer View Post
My biggest criticism is that there are not enough zombies incorporated into the show. Besides flashbacks, there weren't any zombies in the finale until after he finally got to use that grenade.."
you have to forgive that if you want the story to progress at all. If the goal was to make it to the CDC they'd be dead by episode 3. There would have to be millions of them roaming around and the plot would go no where because it would be all head bashing encounters. And on a tv budget the cgi to accomplish that would be cheesy. Even with will smith money behind it cgi zombies were terrible

I would have been happy with a character driven show but it even failed for the most part on that. They could have replaced the main characters at any point with new ones and the season would have been no less successful

they need to have one episode in the summer to make up for the mediocre finale and give season 2 a better jump off point
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Dec 8, 2010 at 08:48 AM. )

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I like how the survivors have to ride around in their own cars.
I still can't figure this out. Steal some goods one, at least. Nobody is going to stop you.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2010, 06:40 PM

What constitutes a 'good' car? Personally I think Shane's Jeep is where it's at. Anything with a decent ride height, 4WD, and meaty tires is my choice of ride. Also, call me crazy, but in a life or death situation I'd rather be in a vehicle I was very familiar with instead of some fancy ride I just boosted where I can't find the headlights.

bstone
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2010, 06:41 PM

Gas is a big problem in Zombie World. Get a hybrid to make it less of a problem.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2010, 07:14 PM

Eh, Hybrids are small cars with dinky tires and no ground clearance. No thanks,

bstone
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2010, 07:15 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2010, 07:23 PM

Hybrid Yukon FTW.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2010, 07:40 PM

A jeep offers no protection being open. Better off with an SUV in this case. Best thing in this situation is a yacht anchored off the coast.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
Gas is a big problem in Zombie World. Get a hybrid to make it less of a problem.
Get a team of zombies with flesh hanging from a stick in front of them, ala this:

Hook them up to something like this:

Now you have limitless zombie transportation.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2010, 09:51 AM

I get one of the Caligula-era head chopping things that slice everything taller than a couple of inches off the ground.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2010, 07:47 PM

xxx

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2010, 07:48 PM

Well, damn. Hold on... the Jack Daniels is in full effect here... dammit. trying to uplad a pic but I'm too drunk to do it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2010, 02:16 AM

As a fellow lover of the dark liquors I understand your struggle.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2010, 04:03 AM

Looks like it's go time. If you live near Louisiana, get ready for the zombiepocalypse.
Eerie Image Captured in Woods
Sweet dreams.

bstone
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2011, 02:35 PM

Here's an idea- go back to the police dept where that guy went to get guns. It's a fortress, lots of weapons, a gas line for heat and hot water. It's a LOT more safe than hanging out in the woods undefended.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2011, 04:23 PM

Your comments are greatly appreciated, bstone, but I think it would be best that we abandon any hopes of salvaging this thing.

bstone
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2011, 04:47 PM

osiris, I hold out hope that the firing of the writers may yet be a fortunate turn of events.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer View Post
Looks like it's go time. If you live near Louisiana, get ready for the zombiepocalypse.
Eerie Image Captured in Woods
Sweet dreams.
Totally fake. It's just Kate Moss at a nudist colony.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2011, 11:33 AM

Zombie thread!
ba-dum ching

Is this series worth getting into? I don't watch TV - I don't own one or have cable - but now and again I like getting into some shows (The Wire was awesome, Damages alright and fading, Lost was painful after season 1/2 - that's my list for the past four years, which tells you how unconnected I am).

I'm hearing both bad and good things. I downloaded the first episode just to see what it's like - so far I see they used the classic "in the hospital, wakes up to the apocalypse" method of 28 Days Later, one of my favourite movies. I'm a total pussy when it comes to horror movies so it ain't normally my bag baby, but is this worth a kick?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Thorzdad
Feb 6, 2011, 11:43 AM

Only if you're into zombie stuff, imho.
I watched the whole season (though I'm definitely not a fan of zombie shows) and came away with a big "meh". It's pretty violent, as far as basic-cable tv goes, but that's about all you can say for the show. It's pretty much a "motley crew of survivors looking for a home against overwhelming odds" story...BSG but with a Winnebago and zombies.

I doubt I'll be a regular viewer when the second season appears.

Cold Warrior
Feb 6, 2011, 11:46 AM

It doesn't blow my mind with fx or emotional involvement, but I find it very enjoyable and worth watching.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2011, 04:48 PM

If you enjoy Zombie movies in general then yes, you should give it a shot.

I really liked it, but the acting was a bit weak in places, and I love anything with the undead anyways,

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2011, 11:59 AM

I can't stand the show, and I'm a huge zombie movie fan. The writing is beyond stupid, even for a zombie story; which, quite frankly, isn't that hard to write.

Nitpick: 28 Days Later isn't a zombie film.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2011, 03:59 PM

Never said it was - I said they used the same plot method. Having watched the first episode, I'll say that it's remarkably similar to 28 Days Later - the waking up in hospital, deserted-city scenes, ominous writing on walls, sudden rescue by survivors, zombies roaming at night so you can't have shining lights to attract their attention, mutual suicide by older people in their homes, sporadic radio contact, etc. etc. I'm sure it's all incidental similarity common to these types of shows, but nevertheless it's very similar.

Anyways, I probably won't watch the rest. I'd like to figure out who was talking to him in the tank, but I've heard enough bad things that I don't really want to waste my time to be honest.

Also: I would totally try to start that tank. Is it out of gas? There's no way I'd ever get in a deserted tank surrounded by zombies and not immediately think: "where's the ****ing ignition"?

For that matter, forget the zombies - just deserted tanks in general
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules