Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > ThemePark 1.0 Teasers

ThemePark 1.0 Teasers
smeger
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 07:12 PM

Spring is in the air, and it's time for ThemePark 1.0 teasers. These aren't mockups, these are screenshots. Click the thumbs for a fullsized image.

The biggest change is that you edit your themes using a meaningful hierarchy of themable elements. Gone are the days of "what does pxm# 4238 do?". Max, �berthemer extraordinaire, designed the hierarchy and added extensive comments and descriptions, so when you create your theme, you've got a Virtual Max™ by your side.

Should you feel the urge, the hierarchy and comments can be customized to fit your needs. It's all standard XML.

More importantly, ThemePark can now be used to edit all aspects of your theme, not just Extras.rsrc. A picture is worth at least seven words, so here ya go...

Notice that you've got all of the stuff you need to create a theme - the Finder, the Login Window, the Boot Panel. You've also got "metadata" about your theme: it's name, description, copyright and version. This is stuff that will be presented to users of your theme by their theme changing program (if the authors decide to support it).

You can use colors, crazy fonts, images, or whatever in your theme metadata. Basically, if you can do it using TextEdit, you can do it using ThemePark.

Because it can be annoying to be limited to a single-window interface while creating your theme, ThemePark continues to support opening element editors in their own window. As always, you can use copy/paste or drag/drop to edit your themable elements. Here are a few of the available editors:

One of the problems with creating themes is keeping track of the sheer quantity of things that exist to be edited. ThemePark now helps you by tracking which themable elements you've edited. This information is stored along with your theme-in-progress, so you can always tell what still needs to be done. The following image shows that all of the Login Window elements have been edited (note the different font). The fonts are, of course, customizable, so if you absolutely need ThemePark to show you changed elements using Zapfino, you can do that.

Last but not least, ThemePark now includes live-preview functionality. You can see how your work-in-progress looks in Carbon, Cocoa and Metal windows. Features such as toolbars, drawers and animated progress bars are included.

That's it for now. A release is still a ways away, but everything you see here is rock'n'roll'ready. Enjoy the screenies!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 07:58 PM

Looking GREAT!!
Thanks smeger!

I think that with this release of ThemePark i'll finally encourage myself to design a theme.

ambush
Banned
Apr 21, 2003, 08:35 PM

God, that's a lot of work!

I wish you success! Your app rox!

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2003, 09:18 PM

sweet

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 09:43 PM

Wow!! I'm speechless...
so when do you think you'll release it?
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Apr 21, 2003, 11:11 PM

Good god, man! I'm speechless! I haven't seen a theming application this well thought out since the days of K'Studio (anyone remember that?)... this is going to make the life of themers SO much easier!

I'm curious about one thing; for the live theme preview functionality, do you load the Extras.rsrc briefly and open a new program, or did you actually go to the trouble of drawing fake controls using the pixmaps directly? The latter would be much faster and less jarring, but possibly less accurate and a LOT harder to code... so I'm curious how you decided to go about it. Anyway, absolutely wonderful job... I can't wait for this!

mac15
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 12:39 AM

I'll get into theming if the app is that cool

thanks for this

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2003, 12:57 AM

I can't wait. Now we will see more and more themes for OS X.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2003, 02:14 AM

Simply outstanding, Smeger, really. Those screens have gotten me even more excited about jumping into themeing. Getting rid of the confusion and mucking around figuring out what every tiny thing does -- wow, things are looking good. Can't wait until all of the features are implemented. It'll be worth every penny of the $20 and then some. If it is indeed $20. Right? I thought I remembered reading that.

Keep up the great work; I look forward to its release.

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2003, 06:53 AM

Holy sh*t! That's gonna be so great.
How long do you think it'll be until you'll be able to release it? If it's not that long I'm gonna wait with getting to work on making a rsrc of my theme..
Really looking forward to the release. Fantastic work.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 08:33 AM

Very very very awesome.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 22, 2003, 08:42 AM

Nice Job.

Do you have a script that makes Max get you a drink?

That would be really cool.

FB Eye
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 09:16 AM

Holy crap!!! Finally something that anyone can use and understand

Incredible work smeger, I'll definitely start theming (or try) when this baby is out!!!

wagmedia
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 10:40 AM

Damn Smeger that's wayyyyy more than I expected for ThemePark 1.0. I think that will usher in theming to the masses.

I even got to see it in my theme. Looks good

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 11:08 AM

Wowie wow wow!

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2003, 12:25 PM

Brilliant! When and where can we get our hands on it???

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 03:45 PM

"Saaay, I won't really need a guide or diagram of resource numbers."

Smeger, you were right, awesome work.
Who'sDaMac?

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 03:58 PM

Awesome.
"-Dodge This"

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the praise, y'all!

so when do you think you'll release it?
When it's done.

I find that trying to predict when software will be finished just doesn't work. If I assume no problems, my prediction is wildly wrong. If I assume lots of problems, I get discouraged and stop working on it. And, no matter what I predict, the actual release is later.

But the current state of affairs is that there's one fairly large interface problem remaining and three fairly large features left to implement.

Do you load the Extras.rsrc briefly and open a new program, or did you actually go to the trouble of drawing fake controls using the pixmaps directly?
ThemePark keeps a current Extras.rsrc cached in /var and runs two small helper apps (one Carbon & one Cocoa) to display the current preview. The helpers use APE technology so that your currently-installed theme isn't affected. They're not APEs - they just use APE technology.

This isn't a totally ideal situation, but it works and is minimally disruptive.

It'll be worth every penny of the $20 and then some. If it is indeed $20. Right? I thought I remembered reading that.
Yup, $20. It's been on my webpage, in the Read Me, and on VirginTracker and MacUpdate forever, so it shouldn't be too much of a shock.

Do you have a script that makes Max get you a drink?
That'll be in Virtual Max™ v2.0.

I even got to see it in my theme.
I thought you'd dig on that.

Anyway, I probably won't post much more about it until it's released, but I thought it'd be nice to let people know what's done and ready for the masses.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

wagmedia
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2003, 11:10 AM

Thanks for giving us the update Smeger. I've been waiting for this to be released before I develop my next theme. I cn't wait for it.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2003, 02:37 PM

At the risk of being labelled a "me too" posterboy I gotta hand it to you smeger... this looks like an absolutely incredible app! A monumental effort that all of us will benefit from... thank-you!

Kate
Senior User
Apr 23, 2003, 02:50 PM

I'm going to put my money into this...

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Apr 23, 2003, 03:18 PM

Glad to hear all the positive responses!
And well deserved - Smeger has done an incredible job on this app and he spends a lot of his spare time on it.

And when it goes final, I'd be happy if other themers would help out with more comments. I've tried to write as good comments (and as many) as possible, but it's hard to explain some things.

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
And when it goes final, I'd be happy if other themers would help out with more comments. I've tried to write as good comments (and as many) as possible, but it's hard to explain some things.
Just to clarify things a bit here, Max is talking about comments like the one at the bottom of the middle column in the first picture at the top of this thread. They're editable by advanced users and are meant to be sort of like a repository of theming knowledge that's available as you're designing your world-shattering theme'o'kewlness.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2003, 05:31 AM

Looks excellent. I trust we'll still be able to use it to directly view any given Extras.rsrc file? I find that ability in the current release indispensable when extracting Aqua resources for use in webpages and other designs.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2003, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by smeger:
Just to clarify things a bit here, Max is talking about comments like the one at the bottom of the middle column in the first picture at the top of this thread. They're editable by advanced users and are meant to be sort of like a repository of theming knowledge that's available as you're designing your world-shattering theme'o'kewlness.
Where do you sign up to be an advanced user?

cocamix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2003, 10:29 AM

Kick butt! Nice work.

Kate
Senior User
Apr 25, 2003, 06:44 AM

...if I'd send you some $$ in advance...would that speed up development considerably?

I'm struggeling with a new custom theme and it annoys me to death to scroll, scroll, copy-paste-scroll-switch-test-scroll.....arrrgh. So forgive my attempt, please.

swiz
GUI Punk
Apr 27, 2003, 10:44 AM

This makes coming home from sunny Florida to bitter Michigan a little easier.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2003, 12:30 AM

Looks excellent. I trust we'll still be able to use it to directly view any given Extras.rsrc file?
Yup.

Where do you sign up to be an advanced user?
I say "advanced user" because editing raw XML isn't really for everyone.

...if I'd send you some $$ in advance...would that speed up development considerably?
Unfortunately, no. There just aren't enough hours in the day. I mean, if you really want to send me buckets of cash, I'm cool with that, but it won't really speed up development.

But yeah, feel free to send me truckloads of cash anyway.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2003, 01:20 AM

I'll give you a reach around to be a beta tester....

swiz
GUI Punk
Apr 28, 2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
ROFL.
Funniest post I've read in months.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2003, 09:38 PM

How 'bout a Rusty Trombone?

Kate
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 03:30 AM

Unfortunately, no. There just aren't enough hours in the day.
What about night shifts?

But yeah, feel free to send me truckloads of cash anyway.
I might, if I only could.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 12:09 AM

I just came up with a brilliant idea for an implementation in ThemePark, now it is sorta like the filter option but enhanced to an and also and also one. say im down to finishing my theme up but have skipped over just a few pxm's and i have written them all down. so say i have pxm 2012, 2013, 2051 and 2307 I have to do. lets have a filter that shows just those. if I type them in.

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 12:26 AM

I just came up with a brilliant idea for an implementation in ThemePark, now it is sorta like the filter option but enhanced to an and also and also one. say im down to finishing my theme up but have skipped over just a few pxm's and i have written them all down. so say i have pxm 2012, 2013, 2051 and 2307 I have to do. lets have a filter that shows just those. if I type them in.
Tracking which elements you've modified is already implemented - see the 5th screenshot. Elements you've modified are displayed in a different font. So, it's pretty easy to drill down to the ones you still need to theme.

The current toolbar filter, since it's not super-useful in the new scheme of things, will be changed so that it's a "pruner" instead of a filter.

For example, if you enter "metal" into the toolbar filter, you'll subsequently be only able to see themable elements that contain the word "metal" somewhere in their browsable hierarchy. Dunno if this makes any sense - it's easier to see than it is to explain.

I haven't made any stellar progress on TP, by the way - I just got a bunch of paying work, which is keeping me pretty busy.

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 12:52 AM

im hoping with ThemePark 1 you can create a new theme by selecting "New Theme" from the file menu.

rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
im hoping with ThemePark 1 you can create a new theme by selecting "New Theme" from the file menu.
ah, comedy
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Apr 30, 2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
From what I know, you will be able to. Correct me if I'm wrong, Smeger.

wreks
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 01:17 PM

I would like to see a graphical theme editor, something based on a template. It'd just be one mock interface in a window with all the theme elements, you'd click on the element you want to change and paste it in.

If there were something like that I'd be interested in trying to make some themes.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 04:34 AM

Originally posted by rgoer:
ah, comedy
whats so comedic?

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2003, 11:43 AM

how bout a progress update?

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
how bout a progress update?

Sure.

I'm almost done hooking up 'dlta' exporting. After that, I need to do 'xscheme' exporting and reenable the ability to read/write raw rsrc files.

A bit of polishing and then it's betatime (sorta like MillerTime®, but less exciting).

Awhile ago, I said
But the current state of affairs is that there's one fairly large interface problem remaining and three fairly large features left to implement.
The only thing left out of those four items is re-enabling the ability to read .rsrc files.

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 08:08 PM

Update: ThemePark 1.0 is feature complete. I'm going to spend a few days polishing and then do a private beta. And before you ask, I've already got a full roster of beta testers, so no, you can't be one. Sorry.

Expect to see a release within two weeks unless the testers find a showstopper.

Oh, and it's freakin' spiffy, too! Mmmmmmmmmm...

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2003, 08:10 PM

I can't wait!

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2003, 08:21 PM

I've started at least five different themes, and all of them got trashed. I think this may be the motivation I needed; amazing software. Looking forward to it.
|wishing is for suckers|

swiz
GUI Punk
Jun 1, 2003, 10:13 PM

Smeger; dont make it too cool cause I hardly have any time to work on my themes as it is and if you make it too cool you will be depriving me of much needed rest due to too much time spent in ThemePark.

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
Smeger; dont make it too cool cause I hardly have any time to work on my themes as it is and if you make it too cool you will be depriving me of much needed rest due to too much time spent in ThemePark.
heh heh, suck it up! We'll hold a themer-intervention for you!

Swiz: "But doctor! You've got to let me out of here! I must theme!!!"

Whoooo... I think maybe I'm a little giddy from so much coding.

Kate
Senior User
Jun 2, 2003, 05:41 AM

... I think maybe I'm a little giddy from so much coding.
Calm down, we're all waiting in all giddyness since ages for version 1.0 and did suffer from your teaser message while you were coding happily.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by wreks:
I would like to see a graphical theme editor, something based on a template. It'd just be one mock interface in a window with all the theme elements, you'd click on the element you want to change and paste it in.

If there were something like that I'd be interested in trying to make some themes.
I'd like to echo that same sentiment. I'm still going to be using ThemePark when I finally get to making my theme, but it would be absolutely incredible if someone could make an app like what wreks described... one that gives an overall, "mockup" kind of view, and you can just click and choose the elements that you need to change.

Forum Links
Forum Rules