Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Non MAC user struggling with Picture clipping file!

Non MAC user struggling with Picture clipping file!
Hoonay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 06:20 AM

Hi,

I'm hoping someone could give me some guidance on opening somes files a MAC user is trying to send me. I know they are pictures but I cannot open them/convert them.

The files names are: Picture clipping.pictClipping and similar.

Clearly I can't just rename the file to TIF or JPG etc.

I've 'googled' and been recommened to download all sorts of bizarre freeware that doesn't do the trick either!

Can someone tell me what I actually have to do in order to view these files?

Any advice much appreciated!

Sophie

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2004, 07:08 AM

If it is a .pict file, find a program that can open macintosh picts. Rename the file to end in .pict if you have to.

Windows isn't very smart and will not know what application to use to open a pict. Photoshop should be able to do it.

Otherwise, tell the mac user to send it to you as a bmp or tif or jpg.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Hoonay  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 07:29 AM

It doesn't have ANY extension whatsoever - that's the problem!

Photoshop couldn't open it when I tried various other extensions. I haven't tried the PICT extension yet, but I will.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2004, 11:29 AM

Have the person sending it to you download the application GraphicConvert. Then have the person open the clipping with GraphicConverter, choose Save As and save as JPG. Try to educate this person about the fact that when you send a file to someone, you should use an industry standard format.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

racepres
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 09:41 PM

My 2 cents says that what yer friend is sending you is not anything you can use at all. Picture clipping files are something I get on my desktop, only if I move stuff off the useable page in an app. like Pagemaker. I suspect the program is simply reminding me that they exist as they are not anylonger visable in the main context of my work. Like has been suggested tell the person to send you a jpeg or a pdf ore some such... Maybe????
Racepres

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2004, 11:40 PM

As far as I can tell, Hoonay, someone is sending you Mac OSX image clippings. Now, I have no idea whether Image clippings from Mac OSX are compatible with those from previous versions of the Mac OS. I only presume and hope so. I also assume you're using Mac OS9, or else you wouldn't be posting here.

Now, image clippings in the Mac OS are usually just files that contain image data, but that are non editable. The way one usually gets those images is simply double clicking those files in the Finder. When you do this the clip should open and show you the image. You can then normally just use copy (Cmd-c) to copy the image data and then paste it in another application, such as PhotoShop, or GraphicConverter.

If you've tried double clicking the files and nothing happens then it means that OSX image clippings are not compatible with OS9. If that's the case you'll have to ask your friend to send you the images in pict, jpeg or tiff format.
weird wabbit

Forum Links
Forum Rules