Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > MX/VX Revolution and OSX?

MX/VX Revolution and OSX?
Franz
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2006, 12:44 AM

Anyone have either the new Logitech MX or a VX Revolution mouse?

How does it work on OSX? Does it work in USB Overdrive? Is there a middle click?

Thanks

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2006, 02:26 PM

I just opened up my VX revoution; 20% off at compusa w/ coupon today and monday. It is an awesome mouse. To answer your questions, OS X recognized it right away, and i had USB overdrive enabled when i first plugged it in. I'm using Logitech's utility instead now. Yes there is a middle click, and I have my forward/back buttons set up to use expose while in finder and go forward/back pages in firefox. Let me know if you have any more questions.

I just also set up the search button to open up quicksilver!
Blackbook 2.4ghz/250gb/2gb

chingas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 03:05 PM

I just got the MX Revolution(my MX1000 left button went kaput) and really enjoy it. My only concern is that the horizontal scrolling is not as "smooth" as the vertical scrolling-especially in Safari.

I posted this concern at the Logitech support forum.

Franz  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2006, 01:10 AM

So I just got my MX Revolution (replacing my old MX1000) and I am impressed .

The best part of this mouse is the scroll wheel obviously. With one flick of your finger, you can scroll through your entire iTunes or iPhoto library (or a lot of it). Or you can scroll through an entire long webpage, etc. When you see where you want to stop, just put your finger on the scroll wheel lightly. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I can't go back to the old scroll wheel anymore. You can still scroll the old way but you won't want to after trying the new way.

Complaints
- Logitech Control Center software has improved quite a bit since I last used it, but it's still lacking compared to USB Overdrive. Hopefully USB Overdrive adds support for this mouse soon cause I don't care too much for logitechs stuff..
- The "thumb wheel" on the left side of the mouse isn't really a wheel at all, more like a button.
- The horizontal scrolling is pretty much useless IMO. I hope this is fixed in an update to the software.

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2006, 01:14 AM

it does suck that the fastest setting for horizontal scrolling is still incredibly slow.

Franz  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2006, 04:21 AM

Whoever has an MX Revolution check out SteerMouse. SteerMouse 3.4 - MacUpdate

I have had a lot of problems with Logitech Control Center software already:
- Can't really configure much
- When I finally had a decent configuration it lost all my settings somehow
- Realized it installs APE (Application Enhancer) without asking, and installer doesn't remove it
- Also uses a lot of RAM compared to other alternatives

SteerMouse has been excellent so far (it's a lot like USB Overdrive except that it works on this mouse). Far more configurable then Logitechs own software, you can map any button to do anything you want. Uses under 2MB RAM as well compared to the 20MB that LCC was using for me.
( Last edited by Franz; Sep 4, 2006 at 04:32 AM. )

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2006, 03:32 AM

I'm about to pick one up tomorrow @ Staples. The MX is on-sale for 80 bux w/ 10 off coupon. Anyways, how's the gaming on the rev. mx compared to the older mx1000? I know it's not a gaming mouse, but i do game ocassionally. And how does the contour and feel differ from the vx?

jcrawford
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 09:09 AM

I bought the MX Revolution and returned it because it was making my machine lockup on boot. It would either throw a kernel panic or it would get to the login screen and then lock up. The computer would boot fine when the mouse was not connected and once booted i could connect the mouse. I contacted Logitech and they were no help. I returned the mouse and tried the Apple Mighty Mouse but think i will stick with the MX 1000.

I wish i could have gotten the MX Revolution to work ;(

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by jcrawford
I bought the MX Revolution and returned it because it was making my machine lockup on boot. It would either throw a kernel panic or it would get to the login screen and then lock up. The computer would boot fine when the mouse was not connected and once booted i could connect the mouse. I contacted Logitech and they were no help. I returned the mouse and tried the Apple Mighty Mouse but think i will stick with the MX 1000.

I wish i could have gotten the MX Revolution to work ;(
did you try using usb overdrive instead of the logitech drivers?

jcrawford
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 12:37 PM

I have no idea what the overdrive is. Is the Revolution really tha tmuh better than tha 1000?

Thanks,
Joseph Crawford

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2006, 12:41 PM

usb overdrive is an alternate mouse driver.

also, I've never used a mx1000

Franz  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2006, 01:41 PM

Revolution is a lot better then the 1000 in my opinion.

The size and shape is much more comfortable. The scroll wheel is far better, it's the best scroll wheel I've ever used. The receiver and dock is smaller etc. Everything about it is an improvement over the MX1000. Going back to the mx1000 feels awkward after using the mx-revolution.

jcrawford
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 03:25 PM

thanks, maybe i will have to try the Revolution again, not sure why you guys can get it to work but is locked up my machine. The MX 1000 doesnt lock up my system which is wierd.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2006, 07:22 PM

I got the MX Rev. a while back to replace my MX700. Everything is great, espescially the free scrolling. My only complaints are the logitech control software is a little bit screwy and the side wheel thing gets in the way of my thumb sometimes.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2006, 11:16 PM

I just got the Revolution. Has anyone else noticed some bugs while using it in World of Warcraft? Seems to lock to the settings of WoW after a certain amount of time. And if I program the main scroll wheel to a keystroke it will sometimes revert to its default mode of shifting. Just seems very buggy, especially in WoW.

And does anyone know if you can program the middle scroll wheel to a keystroke in either USB Overdrive or SteerMouse?

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2006, 07:45 PM

Hmm, just picked up an MX Revolution for my MacBook - USB Overdrive of COURSE. But, USB Overdrive doesn't recognize the Search button on the top of the mouse! The Logitech software did (tried it before uninstalling it) so I know the button works. What gives? Anyone else with an MX + USBO having this problem?
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2006, 07:52 PM

same problem here. i don't really care about that button though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules