Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How does this case look?

How does this case look?
skacoreimplore
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 07:34 PM

Does this seem like a good case?

http://www.pelican-case.com/1080-lap...y-pelican.html

I am trying to find a good case for my new macbook. I dont want to just stick it in my bag because it might get crushed by my books or something. This one seems pretty thin and tough. How do i know if this site is safe as well? Thanks!

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2007, 07:44 PM

It's cool, like in the movies, when the mob guys are working on their laptops in the fancy cars.

skacoreimplore  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 07:47 PM

Yeah I think pelican makes a lot of cases for the military and stuff. How do I know if this site is safe or not? On the Pelican site, the case is like $100.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2007, 09:06 PM

I really don't know, sorry. But it's obvious your better off buying directly off the company's site.

skacoreimplore  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 09:07 PM

$35 is a big difference, I hope its ok to buy off this site. I have my card right here ready to order!
Macbook Pro 15" / C2D 2.2 / 2GB / 120GB
16 GB iPod touch

rcleland2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 09:59 PM

Pelican makes very durable, and rugged cases. My father used to work in the X-Ray field and picked a couple up that a hospital was throwing away. The foam on the bottom is cut into little squares that you can cut or pull out to custom fit just about anything. That vent comes in handy in airplanes, and other high altitude situations. The only downside I see to them is that they can get kinda heavy...it may be that the ones we had were the bigger ones they made.

blueleaf
Mar 14, 2007, 10:24 PM

you might want to look at the booq bag sleeves at Macbook Sleeves by booq (R)

i have one for my macbook and its awesome for just putting it in your bag, because its thin and doesnt take up to much space, but its also quite strong. That case seems a bit big for fitting inside your backpack or seomthing.

skacoreimplore  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 10:34 PM

this one is only 2 lbs and 2.5 inches thick i dont see size or weight being an issue

i just ordered it btw ^_^
16 GB iPod touch

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Mar 14, 2007, 10:48 PM

SeeThru Hard Case for 13" MacBook

iLounge liked the MBP version, and you still have access to all the ports. It helps preventing the heat from melting your balls, too, apparently.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

skacoreimplore  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 11:22 PM

i saw that to, but I wanted something just for when I am moving it from place to place in my bag.
16 GB iPod touch

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2007, 11:25 PM

I don't like the metal one but the Speck one is pretty nice. You get to keep the original look of the Macbook since it is clear. The metal one somewhat butchers the beautiful appearance of the computer.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

skacoreimplore  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
I don't like the metal one but the Speck one is pretty nice. You get to keep the original look of the Macbook since it is clear. The metal one somewhat butchers the beautiful appearance of the computer.
You dont really use it in the case ( only losers do that lol ), atleast I wont be. I am just using it while I transport it in my bag; I don't want it to get crushed by my text books.
16 GB iPod touch

cshesse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2007, 03:17 AM

I've ordered a couple of things from pelican-case.com, got both of them, so they appear to rule. They appear to be run by swps.com, and the cases over there seem to be 5$ cheaper. Here's the one you linked to Pelican 1080 HardBack Case - Charcoal Gray from SWPS.com

But you might want the one without the foam: 1080CC HardBack Case with Computer Case Liner from SWPS.com

Convert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2007, 07:04 PM

Pelican� 1470 Laptop Computer Case with Foam - Black from Pelican-Case.com

Basically impervious to everything, very nice layout inside the case.
...---...---...---...---...---...---...
The early bird may get the worm, but the early worm gets eaten!

hadocon
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2007, 07:12 PM

I think you will look like a poseur whipping that thing out, but that's just my opinion.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 23, 2007, 10:26 PM

If you need that much protection, get a ToughBook from Panasonic. They are armored as part of their shells.

Me, I use an Incase neoprene sleeve on my MBP, and my classmates with MBs do too-I didn't start the trend, another classmate with a 17" MBP did, and I followed. The neat part is that the sleeve can be a lap protector and you can actually use a Mac laptop on your lap with it!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

hadocon
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by skacoreimplore View Post
this one is only 2 lbs and 2.5 inches thick i dont see size or weight being an issue

i just ordered it btw ^_^
Have fun carrying that extra 2lbs around with you every day. Seriously. You are adding almost 50% of the computer's weight with that case. Are you 14 or something?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by hadocon View Post
Have fun carrying that extra 2lbs around with you every day. Seriously. You are adding almost 50% of the computer's weight with that case. Are you 14 or something?
lol why would you ask such a weird question.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

greene_hornette
Baninated
Apr 24, 2007, 10:14 PM

j03
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by greene_hornette View Post
I like this alot, I may considering getting this

rafg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2007, 05:15 PM

hadocon
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
lol why would you ask such a weird question.
I asked because buying a 2lb case for a 4.5lb computer sounds a bit masturbatory if you ask me. I know for a fact that if I was to carry my computer in the case that OP just bought people would point and laugh at my intense nerdism. Not cool nerdism either. Lame

Not just the weight but the styling is insane. People's first impression will be "wow, he must be important!" then they will realize that he is 14 and just a sad nerd that has to take care of his "baby".

I'm a ********.

SLiMeX
Senior User
May 11, 2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by rafg View Post
This is what I have; highly recommended.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Mike...
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2007, 10:28 PM

I personally just got an INCASE from the Apple store, it's flemsy but it does it's job, my bookbag is never packed so I don't have to worry about books crushing it and it keeps it from getting beat up in my bookbag alone
MR. WIPE ME DOWN: BIG MIKE
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week...

sailin74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 10:21 PM

So did anyone get the pelican case for a macbook? I'm deploying to Iraq, and want to take my macbook with me, just can't figure out if it'll fit. Some product specs say 12 inches, others say 13inch Macbook will fit. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dawgs2010
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2007, 09:07 PM

I have never used this case but it looks nice. I have used other Pelican cases, they are nice but not all that great. If I was you I would get a Booq case.

nitronick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2007, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by hadocon View Post
I asked because buying a 2lb case for a 4.5lb computer sounds a bit masturbatory if you ask me. I know for a fact that if I was to carry my computer in the case that OP just bought people would point and laugh at my intense nerdism. Not cool nerdism either. Lame

Not just the weight but the styling is insane. People's first impression will be "wow, he must be important!" then they will realize that he is 14 and just a sad nerd that has to take care of his "baby".

I'm a ********.

Seems to me that the OP is interested in protecting his investment. You, on the other hand, are more interested in how well it thing matches your shoes.
Why don't you go not comb your hair or something....

Pelican cases are great. I have many of varying sizes for many different uses. One thing they have NEVER done is let me down. They do what they are supposed to do.
I'm the f'king Mack Daddy in the simulator , but in the real world I look like Stephen Hawking trying to play ice hockey

Forum Links
Forum Rules