Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > i just got a mbp cd2 2.33

i just got a mbp cd2 2.33
Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2006, 02:22 AM

i have an old 1.83 first gen macbook pro and comapring both
the 2.33 is slightly hotter and the damn computer sounds like a jet engine
i never had this loud issue with my 1.83 im have them side by side and the 1.83
is quieter and cooler.

anybody else having this problem?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2006, 05:30 AM

No.

My 2.33 GHz C2D MBP is a lot cooler and actually also more quiet than my 2.0 GHz CD MBP.

Try a reboot. Is it still loud and hot? During installation/migration it has to do a lot of work and can become hot and noisy. But that should change once you're finished.

MrN79
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2006, 10:13 AM

The only time i notice the fan(s) running is when i'm watching a movie, other than that it's quiet and wayyyyyyyyy cooler than my 15" PB 1.5.
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

chipchen
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 02:39 PM

my 2.33 is cooler than the previous 2.0 and 2.16 MBP's... but the fans kick in much quicker and stay on longer... I agree with javizun on the fans... sounds like the space shuttle trying to lift off.

Film Prof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2006, 02:49 PM

My fans go to 6000rpm pretty quickly and stay there. Apple has told me that they will replace the computer, suspecting a bad logic board.

More people need to report this problem to them, so they will see that it's widespread and do something about fixing it. I'm not sure whether or not the replacement will just have the same problem.

outthere
Nov 11, 2006, 02:59 PM

my MBP fan got crazy once when i was running lot of stuff with low level battery, the laptop was later frozen so i had to shut it down by pressing and holding the power button.
wonder if any wrong with that or it;s just a normal thing
un jour,

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 06:50 PM

When I was running Neverwinter Nights 2 under Windows (heavy graphics use) the fans were cranking up, but other than that, they've hardly been noticable.

SoClose
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2006, 09:58 AM

I just received my MBP 2.33GHz a couple of days ago and it's been, on average, cooler than my previous PB 1.25GHz. I wrote a couple of run-away processes (basically infinite loops) to stress-test the CPU cores and the fans have been pretty quiet.

I'm extremely impressed with this machine. I still can't get over having essentially a dual-CPU laptop!

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 12:00 PM

Yeah - it's so much faster than my gigantic 1.8ghz G5 tower.... it's amazing!

gheff
Nov 13, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post
Yeah - it's so much faster than my gigantic 1.8ghz G5 tower.... it's amazing!
Is that G5 tower of yours a dual as well? I've got one of those that I've been thinking about replacing with an MBP 2.33. (Tired of towers.) And I've been wondering if that's a reasonable thing to do.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 07:13 PM

No, it was a single 1.8, the one with the 2 hour lockup "feature" (that was fixed by Apple by a firmware UG last year).

It's supposedly much faster than a Dual in speed tests, but I dunno in real world use. Since I used my PowerBook G4 95% of the time, I'm used to the speed of that machine, and the C2D is much, much faster!

Forum Links
Forum Rules