Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyonw w/ Spire "Boot" sleeve (new version with 2nd pocket)?

Anyonw w/ Spire "Boot" sleeve (new version with 2nd pocket)?
nagromme
Senior User
Nov 9, 2003, 07:00 AM

I've got plenty of multi-pocket luggage already, but I need a sleeve JUST big enough to give my future AlBook a handle--and scratch protection--to and from the car. The Spire "Boot" looks perfect--and I do like the new rear pocket, IF it's big enough for the power brick and a mouse.

http://www.spireusa.com/products/BT3.html

Any reviews? Is it durable? Any rivets to scratch my 'Book? What is the new rear pocket like? How much can fit back there?

And does anyone have pictures of one? I like to see before I buy... and Spire's sire doesn't show me much:

Thanks!
nagromme

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2003, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by nagromme:
I've got plenty of multi-pocket luggage already, but I need a sleeve JUST big enough to give my future AlBook a handle--and scratch protection--to and from the car. The Spire "Boot" looks perfect--and I do like the new rear pocket, IF it's big enough for the power brick and a mouse.

http://www.spireusa.com/products/BT3.html

Any reviews? Is it durable? Any rivets to scratch my 'Book? What is the new rear pocket like? How much can fit back there?

And does anyone have pictures of one? I like to see before I buy... and Spire's sire doesn't show me much:

Thanks!
I would take a picture of mine, but there's not much they would show since it's just like a normal sleeve. There's no rivets or anything to scratch the laptop, the case is all fabric, save for two metal rings on the back side of the case that hook onto the detachable shoulder strap. The flap is velcro also so no zippers to worry about to possibly scratch the laptop.

The rear pocket is basically just a thin sheet with velcro at the top. I'd say it would fit a power brick fine, mouse depends on the height, but I don't think it'd be a problem. The handle for the case doesn't seem that strong, it's a thin strip like the materal that holds the straps on bookbags, the shoulder strap is the same, and there's no padding thing on it. The description says "reinforced" handle so it may be sewn on very well, but it really could be thicker. They do have 30 day return policy also. Also, it should be noted that their sleeves are primarily made to use with their backpacks, which is why I bought mine, so the cases won't be exactly form fitting to the PB, but more generic sized ones. If that's of concern, you might want to look at the booqbag sleeves, but their pockets might not have enough room for a mouse.
( Last edited by schk; Nov 9, 2003 at 10:44 AM. )

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 11:10 PM

Thanks. It sounds like what I'm after--especially the velcro (no buckles to press on my 'Book). And they list the dimensions--several sizes available. Looks like they have something perfect for the 15" and 17".

Then again, MacConnection has the best deals on PowerBooks right now, and they throw in a Body Glove sleeve. No handle... but free is free. Looks like I'll try to make do with that first.
nagromme

Forum Links
Forum Rules