Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > SAS and X11

SAS and X11
schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2003, 06:42 PM

Does anyone here have any experience using SAS remotely via X11? I'm accessing SAS v8 on my school's server through SSH and using X11 for a windowed environment. The enter key does not act like a regular enter key should ie. create a carriage return which makes a new blank line. Say I move my cursor to the beginning of a line with code. I want to insert more code, so I press enter which should push that block of code down and allow me to type in more code in the remaining space. The enter key just moves the cursor down to the next line and that's it. I have no way to basically insert new lines which forces me to use TextEdit to edit code and then cut and paste between the screens. I thought it might be a key mapping issue in SAS but the enter key is set to create a new line. Any ideas?

lars-man
Nov 20, 2003, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by schk:
Does anyone here have any experience using SAS remotely via X11? I'm accessing SAS v8 on my school's server through SSH and using X11 for a windowed environment. The enter key does not act like a regular enter key should ie. create a carriage return which makes a new blank line. Say I move my cursor to the beginning of a line with code. I want to insert more code, so I press enter which should push that block of code down and allow me to type in more code in the remaining space. The enter key just moves the cursor down to the next line and that's it. I have no way to basically insert new lines which forces me to use TextEdit to edit code and then cut and paste between the screens. I thought it might be a key mapping issue in SAS but the enter key is set to create a new line. Any ideas?
Same setup - same problem here. But in any other case the carriage return works as expected, for example if you just typed some lines of code and the press the carriage return it creates some blank lines - as it should do.

Or is this behaviour just normal? Right now I can't remember how the carriage return behaves on the AIX clients (I mean, if there is the same strange action as it is, when you display SAS on your Mac using X11).

But since I don't like SAS (this app is huge, complex and buggy) I don't really care ;-)

Kind regards
Lars from Dresden/Germany

Forum Links
Forum Rules