Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adobe Golive CS 7 Rocks!

Adobe Golive CS 7 Rocks!
brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2003, 08:08 PM

This update is fast, offers great features, new CSS editor. In a nutshell it's everything I've dreamed about in my HTML editor. Way to go Adobe!

PS. Check out the Code view and then filter by "text only"

Good Stuff!

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 08:16 PM

screenshots?
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

mishap
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 09:13 PM

good for you, but for me, GoLive lost the battle....in the same way freehand and quark did.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 10:13 PM

Yes, please post some screen shots. I currently use GoLive 6.0.1 pretty much every day. Is it any faster by chance?

kdogg73
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Yes, please post some screen shots. I currently use GoLive 6.0.1 pretty much every day. Is it any faster by chance?
Here's one:

Click to enlarge.

Have you seen my pants?

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 11:13 PM

Hmm...just noticed this new version has code completion. How does the new Golive performance compared to Dreamweaver mx 2004 in panther? Is the code completion on par with Dreamweavers? Also I don't see any file pane in your screenshot, is there a file browser window that can be put on the right side? Also how does it handle multiple files, does it have them in a tabbed interface? Thanks.

kdogg73
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by schk:
Hmm...just noticed this new version has code completion. How does the new Golive performance compared to Dreamweaver mx 2004 in panther? Is the code completion on par with Dreamweavers? Also I don't see any file pane in your screenshot, is there a file browser window that can be put on the right side? Also how does it handle multiple files, does it have them in a tabbed interface? Thanks.
I can't compare with Dreamweaver MX. I haven't delved into DW since 4. Plus, I am very rusty. This came with the Adobe CS, so it's refresher time for me. Here's what I think you're refering to:

Click to enlarge.

Have you seen my pants?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2003, 12:24 AM

Wow, looks much better. This now warrants the cost to update.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 05:08 AM

Looks nice. And slower than DW MX 04 it cannot possibly be, so I'd really like to get it.

I won't for the moment, however, because I'm simply not prepared to pay Adobe's ridiculous prices over here: "Adobe Creative Suite Premium Edition Upgrade from Photoshop (English)" is a cool 926.84 Euros -- that's US$ 1077, $330 or 50% more than in the US.

Do they think we're all made of money, and too stupid to use the internet, or what?
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 09:21 AM

After reading some posts on the Adobe forum, I think I'll give Golive a shot. It's only $79 bucks for the educational version. And I figure the performance HAS to be faster than DW MX

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2003, 10:15 AM

wow, really looking good from the screeners!!!
if it�s any faster than v6 i will be very satisfied.

but what i really want to know is, if they improved the script generator engine. does it still spit out pages of bloated javascript for simple stuff like image rollovers or popup windows?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

poulh
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2003, 11:51 AM

After reading some posts on the Adobe forum, I think I'll give Golive a shot. It's only $79 bucks for the educational version. And I figure the performance HAS to be faster than DW MX
Can you post a link of where to buy this? I am in grad school and am eligable to buy this at the discounted price!

Sven G
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2003, 12:02 PM

Looks much better, yes - but still a little cluttered, � la Classic Mac OS...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by poulh:
Can you post a link of where to buy this? I am in grad school and am eligable to buy this at the discounted price!
The price listing from Adobe is here:

http://www.adobe.com/education/purch...n_pricing.html

There's tons of academic software for sale online, journeyed, etc. Look at the resellers link in the top paragraph of the page above.

kdogg73
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 01:12 PM

The price listing from Adobe is here:

http://www.adobe.com/education/purch...n_pricing.html

There's tons of academic software for sale online, journeyed, etc. Look at the resellers link in the top paragraph of the page above.
I just got off the line with Adobe. Since I never have purchased an educational version of any software, it was interesting to learn that if I had purchased this software under an education license, I could not use it in a professional application that would earn me direct income. Maybe this is common knowledge with Adobe and other software vendors, but I was unaware of that.

Have you seen my pants?

protohootie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 01:51 PM

That is pretty much common knowledge with any company that issues software under an educational license and it's IN the license you agree to when you install the App.

With GoLive however there's no way to REALLY know if a page was made with a EDU or PRO version of GoLive, but for things like Maya and Director and such that can be a BIG problem since apps like Director splash the logo with "educational version" tagged to it.

Quite embarassing if you're the author.

Yves
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 12:27 AM

I like the new toolbar.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Nov 5, 2003, 06:56 PM

Looks great!

Now just see if it performs.

How is the markup and speed?

Pretty excited... would love to get outta MX 04

T

zonetuke
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 02:19 PM

So, what is the consensus about GoLive CS's speed? Is it considerably faster than 6.01? I would love to see some more speed reports.
Dual G5 2.3 GHz Powermac, 2.5 GB ram, GeForce 6600, Belkin 4 port USB hub,, SyncMaster 21" LCD, iMic.

aabbas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by zonetuke:
So, what is the consensus about GoLive CS's speed?
I haven't timed anything yet, but it sure feels faster. And it's way faster than DW. Goodbye, molasses-death-ray.

Alex

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 24, 2003, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by aabbas:
Goodbye, molasses-death-ray.
that should be Photoshopped onto a headstone, with "Here lies Dreamweaver, murdered by GoLive" above it. then mail it to every Macromedia address you can find.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 05:50 PM

One big question. Has its ability to work with tables improved? Yes I know we should all be using CSS2 for everything. But the reality is that tables do a lot and getting CSS2 to work right can be a bear. Anyway Dreamweaver always handled tables better than GoLive. I wonder if that has been fixed.

The other issues I doubt you know about. GoLive often had a lot of bugs in handling moved URLs. Thus you'd end up with these convoluted and wrong URLS in all your links. If it wasn't for BBEdit and its ability to do search and replace through an entire set of subdirectories I'd be dead! Drag and dropping links often were buggy in GoLive 6 as well. I remember working on a bunch of tech documents and at the end finding that all my links were screwed because of that! (Very annoying)

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 05:52 PM

I was under the impression Adobe ditched server-side technology support for this release. Is this the case?

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 06:52 PM

is it possible to post a screenshot of Golive's new CSS features? That would be great

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
that should be Photoshopped onto a headstone, with "Here lies Dreamweaver, murdered by GoLive" above it. then mail it to every Macromedia address you can find.
Edit: "Here lies Dreamweaver, murdered by GoLive - on OS X".
Not many windows MX 04 users will be quite as excited about GL CS, I guess.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 24, 2003, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by workerbee:
Not many windows MX 04 users will be quite as excited about GL CS, I guess.
good point. they'll be too excited about the latest security patch, or virus update

(i know what you meant, really)

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 04:44 AM

good point. they'll be too excited about the latest security patch, or virus update

Client of mine had a boring sunday afternoon, decided to do something about his state-of-the-art 6 months old XP box' security (he'd heard a thing or two, obviously), and downloaded all M$ security patches and thingies and whatnots, and installed the bunch.

Now his box does not boot anymore. It is now effectively safe and totally secure from all sorts of viruses, trojans, bugs and whatever else lurks on windoze's green pastures.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 25, 2003, 05:57 AM

heh, you can't get much more secure than that. good work, fella!

gadster
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 07:41 AM

With the integration factor between Photoshop, Imageready, Illustrator and Golive (ie: smart objects) you'd be pretty dumb to stick with DW. It's amazing how many hours can be saved by learning how they work together properly.
e-gads

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 25, 2003, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by gadster:
With the integration factor between Photoshop, Imageready, Illustrator and Golive (ie: smart objects) you'd be pretty dumb to stick with DW.
tell that to all the accounts departments who've just shelled out on new versions of Studio MX. Macromedia isn't likely to reimburse these people for the extra hours they've added onto a department's working week, by having slow and laggy software.

it's not even funny to read them saying things like "Macromedia is as committed to the Mac platform now, as it ever has been"

Michel Fortin
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 10:07 AM

I'm interested to know about how it handles floating boxes made with CSS? (the float property, not absolute positioning)

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 10:48 AM

tell that to all the accounts departments who've just shelled out on new versions of Studio MX.
Tell that to me who has just shelled out (etc.)

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2003, 12:32 PM

Not sure about CS, but GoLive 5 sucked ass. I'm a DW fan but see the MX and 2004 updates as not updates that warrant a full price. 2004 should be 5.5 or something. And this CS crap is the same. Seems like Adobe and Macromedia are just looking to rape it's customers. One thing I did like about 2004 demo, is that in the page properties, you can input hover link colors and DW did all the hover, in out coding for you. That saves some time for me. Anything like that in GoLive? Also, I hated GoLive because the code switching to layout view took forever while it 'parsed; every fricking line of code. Is that instant like DW? Also, it took forever to see it in preview mode as well. Frames also sucked ass, have they improved?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

workerbee
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 08:26 AM

Just read this... maybe GoLive isn't the solution to the molasses death-ray DW MX 04 problem after all.

Aside: why can't I ever have responsability for an interesting website like Eolakke does... to look after and frequently manipulate?

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2003, 11:30 AM

Just read this... maybe GoLive isn't the solution to the molasses death-ray DW MX 04 problem after all.

Aside: why can't I ever have responsability for an interesting website like Eolakke does... to look after and frequently manipulate?
Thanks for the link. It's nice to hear from both sides of the fence. I guess I'll stick with MX for another year or so, by then, DW 2006MXWHATEVER should be worth the upgrade hopefully.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

weirded
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 03:58 PM

Was that article a joke? Who in his right mind uses GoLive to update a site with 30000 files? It amazes me that someone who has never heard of content management systems can run such a big site and even make a living from it. In fact, I refuse to believe it.

If that article is serious, I wouldn't ever dream about taking advice about web/-software from that guy.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2003, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by weirded:
Was that article a joke? Who in his right mind uses GoLive to update a site with 30000 files? It amazes me that someone who has never heard of content management systems can run such a big site and even make a living from it. In fact, I refuse to believe it.

If that article is serious, I wouldn't ever dream about taking advice about web/-software from that guy.
My thoughts exactly.

Imageman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2004, 09:52 AM

I have been working in the web world for sometimes. I have always used dreamweaver, and loved the auto code completions. When dreamweaver was updateed I tried and thought, this is not the dreamweaver, I know. The icons looked bad, and the speed really sucked. Speed seems to be a major problem with any web application, including golive cs.

I have been working on alot of projects lately, and have used dreamweaver for alot of them, up in till the latest project. I was working on this great site, and worked on it for four hours, every thing was looking great, untill I looked at it online, in ie mac. Well IE mac, is so old now, I don't develop for it, so I didn't care. Viewing it in Safari looked fine, but not great. Any how, to make along story short. Dreamweaver crashed all the time, and cont to even after the updates. There what you see, is what you get, is complely not true.

This brings me to Golive CS. I have to say, I downloaded a trial version for 30 days, And I have to tell you, I LOVE IT. I did tests, with pages, to see if it woould look like I created, and every time I looked at online, It was exactly what I disigned. The code window that pops up when you hand write stuff, is so amazing and fast. PHP code is completly amazing in this, and from what I can see, there is no support for asp, or asp .net. HAHA They have all the php functions, trully amazing. The css support is so worth it. Now with all this said, GOLive CS, is alittle slow, and you sure do need alot of ram, but thats nothing. RAM is cheap and from the amount of crashes I incountered in dreamweaver, this is so worth the money.

So afer 30 days, did I stay with dreamweaver mx 2004?
Not a chance, i deleted the application out of my mac, and never installed it again. Golive CS is really an amazing web application. I will never go back to dreamweaver again, And don't even get me started on Flash MX 2004 Pro or its PLayer. I deleted flash MX 2004 Pro, and its player, is **** too, but I have to keep it installed.

I hope this cleared some thing up with people. If any one has any questions other then the ones I stated, please feel to ask away, I will try and answer to the best that I can.

Yours Truly
Imageman

ambush
Banned
Oct 12, 2004, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
WHAT?! YOU DON'T USE YOUR OWN http://pinehillproducts.com/creativepage/index.html
CREATIVE PAGE REVOLUTIONARY REALBASIC SOFTWARE?!

dude... don't forget I own 51% of shares and I'm about to FIRE YOU!

Imageman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2004, 10:28 AM

I don't have alot of time to spend on learning a new application, which is probley a buggy one any way. I wrotee that artical to give some insite into golive cs, vers dreamweaver. Perhapes you can post an artical on your views of that program.

quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2004, 10:42 AM

You guys are all losers. You should be hand coding your sites in your favorite text editor.

There. Somebody had to say it

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 12, 2004, 11:15 AM

I make my website in Mozilla Editor

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by weirded:

I have to agree with this. Firstly, I took a look at Mr "GolIve7 sux ballz" nude site, and I really must say that one could have done something similar to that back in 1995 when the web was fresh, young and CSS was a sparkle in the w3c.org's eye, but really, to make a site as ugly as that you really have to try. I don't think Golive, Dreamweaver or Freeway Pro will help you there.

Now, I can understand that GoLive CS may have problems with huge sites (probably one of Adobe's outsourced Indian coders being lazy about memory management), and I can understand that a completely clueless (l)user like this guy would be too dumb to do some basic research when doing a site, but I can't understand the man's paranoia when informed about CMSes babbling on about huge prices. I think I'll send the guy a link to sourceforge and freshmeat.

Me, I would have done a site like that with vi
weird wabbit

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2004, 08:36 PM

Dang. What's the matter with Frontpage?

(ducks)

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules