Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > MBP wireless problems

MBP wireless problems
schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 09:14 PM

Has anyone with a MacBook Pro had any problems with their Airport card? I just received the stock 15" 2.16 core 2 duo this monday and my wireless connection was perfect until today. When I turned the machine on, the wireless strength was fluctuating from full bars all the way down to no bars and during this period the connection would stop/stall or fail to connect regardless of the signal strength reported, I could have full bars and no internet connection.

I decided to check the system logs and saw the same error message repeated over and over:

Nov 3 20:00:31 mbp kernel[0]: ath_bmiss_proc: beacon miss

I googled the error and noticed a few others had gotten the same message, but with no solution. Has anyone else experienced this and had a solution other than replacing the airport card? The last thing I want to do is get a replacement to only have this issue crop up again. I did notice reports of wireless problems with the new Intel macs in general, but my Intel mini is connected via wireless with no issues whatsoever.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 10:03 PM

Before you go thinking its your airport card, try taking your mbp to a cafe or someplace with free wifi and see how it behaves there......if it acts fine there but continues to act funky at home, it could possibly be your router or service or something.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 3, 2006, 11:15 PM

Moving to the Networking forum where this belongs...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cilantro26
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 02:22 PM

I'm seeing the exact same "beacon miss" error message in my system.log file (new C2D MBP, 2.33, 2GB). At times this message is being logged about every 30 seconds (but I actually don't notice any effect, i.e. my wireless connection still seems to work).

Have you been able to resolve this issue? Do you know what's causing it and/or what it means?

In addition to the "beacon miss" messages, I've been experiencing several other network-related issues:
-- 2 kernel panic crashes with references to "com.apple.driver.AirPortAtheros" in the log
-- sometimes the wireless connection doesn't work at all when the system wakes up from sleep mode
-- Firefox 2.0 seems to hang at least once every hour and I have to force quit it

Apple support asked me to reinstall the OS before they can consider the system for repair or exchange... I guess I'll give this a try, but it sounds more like an AirPort hardware issue to me. Any thoughts or suggestions anyone? Thanks!

Axel
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2007, 12:56 PM

I'm having the exact same problem. Loads of "beacon miss" messages in the system.log (more than one per second). While this happens, the signal strength flickers and the connection speed drops to around 50 kbps.
Apparently this is a quite reported problem on Apple Discussion Forums. Tried the Dec 13th Airport update, to no avail.
Using a MBP C2D 2.33GHz.
How did things evolve for posters above ?

Forum Links
Forum Rules