Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Impressions of my new Powerbook by a newbie

Impressions of my new Powerbook by a newbie
TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2004, 12:27 PM

I've had an iBook 700 for about 3 months before getting the powerbook 12" with 867Mhz G4 and combo. I have not yet upgraded ram beyond stock 256 megs. Still, system seems much faster than ibook with 640 megs. Display is beautiful but I've got a dead pixel in lower right corner. No big deal except if I ever want to sell it.

Carrara Studio - used to take over an hour to do a particular boolean subtraction on my celeron 600. ibook did it in about a minute. Powerbook does it in --bloop-- milliseconds.

Garage Band - played with demos before updating to 1.0.1 (have not played since)... Demos would not play on internal hard drive, so I copied them to external firewire and tried again. This time all demos played but one that had 12 tracks and lots of effects. This time it said processor was too slow. I had to up the latency, which Apple has dumbed down by tieing it to the processor type, by telling it I was running a G3... Somethings wrong, considering I've got a desktop PC running a Cyrix 300 Mhz (Pentium equivalent) and Cubase that has no problem with at least 24 tracks (never tried more), and many, many, many effects... of course, its possible that Garage Band's effects are of a higher quality than Cubase.. But I don't know. Makes me regret not getting the 1Ghz.

Heat - Theres too much. I've ordered that stand at macmice.com that has the dual fans in it. I figure it will extend the longevity of the machine.. Heat is the enemy of order.

Appleworks - Where the hell is it? I got it with my iBook. Why not with Powerbook? Looks like I need to get Mellel and a decent graphics editor. Any recommendations?

velodev
Senior User
Mar 4, 2004, 12:35 PM

Good hear your impressions.

Quick personal question, MacMice.com has a couple people on this board pretty skeptical of their service. I have thought a couple things on their site looked good to purchase. Could you follow up and let me (or the board) know how things went down.

Also, to help you out... the dual fan setup at macmice received a negative review on this board (not in powerbook per se, but a full board search could bring results). The purchaser did a basic test of cpu temp before and after and notice no help with the stand, and macmice returned the product. I would suggest you look into this.

It's great to lurk these board and from what I have read, if the macmice stand doesn't work out... a lot of people found something on ebay and some use the stand from macally and/or iCurve (no cooling, just a stand).

Cheers.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by TampaDeveloper:
I've had an iBook 700 for about 3 months before getting the powerbook 12" with 867Mhz G4 and combo. I have not yet upgraded ram beyond stock 256 megs. Still, system seems much faster than ibook with 640 megs. Display is beautiful but I've got a dead pixel in lower right corner. No big deal except if I ever want to sell it.

Carrara Studio - used to take over an hour to do a particular boolean subtraction on my celeron 600. ibook did it in about a minute. Powerbook does it in --bloop-- milliseconds.

Garage Band - played with demos before updating to 1.0.1 (have not played since)... Demos would not play on internal hard drive, so I copied them to external firewire and tried again. This time all demos played but one that had 12 tracks and lots of effects. This time it said processor was too slow. I had to up the latency, which Apple has dumbed down by tieing it to the processor type, by telling it I was running a G3... Somethings wrong, considering I've got a desktop PC running a Cyrix 300 Mhz (Pentium equivalent) and Cubase that has no problem with at least 24 tracks (never tried more), and many, many, many effects... of course, its possible that Garage Band's effects are of a higher quality than Cubase.. But I don't know. Makes me regret not getting the 1Ghz.

Heat - Theres too much. I've ordered that stand at macmice.com that has the dual fans in it. I figure it will extend the longevity of the machine.. Heat is the enemy of order.

Appleworks - Where the hell is it? I got it with my iBook. Why not with Powerbook? Looks like I need to get Mellel and a decent graphics editor. Any recommendations?
Congrats on the new Powerbook!

The first thing I would do is upgrade the RAM in that Powerbook. Bring it up to 640 megs or 1 Gig if that works.

Appleworks is bundled with the "consumer" products such as the eMac, iMac, and iBook. The Power Macs and Powerbooks are bundled with the "professional" bundle which included other stuff besides Appleworks.

If you want Appleworks, I have a full retail install CD that I bougt a few years ago. It is still the current version, 6. If you interested in buying, PM me!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2004, 03:14 PM

No need for an Appleworks install CD, I don't think. It should drag and drop from one machine to the other just fine.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

TampaDeveloper  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2004, 01:03 AM

I received the macmice ibreeze today. They shipped really fast. Fans are quiet and move quite a bit of air. I cannot fathom, by any stretch of modern physics, that this doesn't work, given that the case is aluminum.... Haha...though just now the internal fan kicked on... But it does seem cooler than the first day I had it, though the first day I was busy installing all my software. The only thing I don't like about it is that it definitely looks home-made. The acrylic is bowed in front, so the center supports are not touching the bottom of the powerbook. But the thing is otherwise attractive and functional. Pass through usb works well, as I have my mouse connected through it.

Originally posted by velodev:
Good hear your impressions.

Quick personal question, MacMice.com has a couple people on this board pretty skeptical of their service. I have thought a couple things on their site looked good to purchase. Could you follow up and let me (or the board) know how things went down.

Also, to help you out... the dual fan setup at macmice received a negative review on this board (not in powerbook per se, but a full board search could bring results). The purchaser did a basic test of cpu temp before and after and notice no help with the stand, and macmice returned the product. I would suggest you look into this.

It's great to lurk these board and from what I have read, if the macmice stand doesn't work out... a lot of people found something on ebay and some use the stand from macally and/or iCurve (no cooling, just a stand).

Cheers.

sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2004, 03:39 AM

Appleworks - Where the hell is it? I got it with my iBook. Why not with Powerbook? Looks like I need to get Mellel and a decent graphics editor. Any recommendations? [/B]

well you've spent a lot all ready 1 word!!!!

limewire

seek and you will find all the answers....

as for the heat...
they get hot cause they are metal and conduct the through too the case which acts like a great big heat sink.....
if you get a temp monterijng prog

eg
http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

they run cooler than the ibooks...
you can feel the heat more thats all...

sk

TampaDeveloper  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2004, 07:44 PM

Okay, quick update on the iBreeze.

I sent a complaint to Macmice. At first I thought they weren't going to respond, but then on Friday I received a brand new iBreeze at my doorstep with a note saying that I could do what I want with the old one.

The new one is perfect. Thanks Macmice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules