Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Sonnet CPU upgrade to G4 MDD

Sonnet CPU upgrade to G4 MDD
bossep
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2006, 11:02 AM

Sonnet has as we know launched a special cpu upgrade for MDD G4. The upgrade has no L3 cache. Because of that isn't it a downgrade to update a 2x1.25 or 2x1.46 w L3 to a 2x1.6 or 2x1.8GHz w/u L3? Or will the larger L2 cache help out?

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 07:54 PM

In general, L2 is faster than L3 cache. Therefore, having more of the former can help compensate for haveing less (or non) of the latter. There are benchmarks out there.

bossep  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
In general, L2 is faster than L3 cache. Therefore, having more of the former can help compensate for haveing less (or non) of the latter. There are benchmarks out there.
If I just could hit the keyword. To me upgrading a G4 2x1.25 or 2x1.42 with a Sonnet duet 1.6 or duet 1.8 doesn't seems to be a good one. We all know that OSX is built for dual cpu.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 03:35 PM

MacCetera - G4 CPU benchmarks

That benchmark says that the higher-clocked chip is better overall. The numbers that are verry telling there are the memory numbers. You will notice that the CPU with the L3 cache performs better in memory tests than the one without. I suppose it just depends on what you do. Some real-world tests would be better.

bossep  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2006, 04:05 PM

MacCetera - G4 CPU benchmarks

That benchmark says that the higher-clocked chip is better overall. The numbers that are verry telling there are the memory numbers. You will notice that the CPU with the L3 cache performs better in memory tests than the one without. I suppose it just depends on what you do. Some real-world tests would be better.
Absolutely fab link! I use mainly Photoshop CS2 and creates websites.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 06:51 PM

Accelerate Your Mac! - G4 1MB vs 2MB Cache Size Tests

This link talks about cache size affecting photoshop performance.

Accelerate Your Macintosh! G4 CPU Upgrade Reviews

This is a collection of G4 upgrade reviews. Some of the high-end G4 upgrades could be used as a reference.

DrBoar
Senior User
Nov 8, 2006, 10:43 AM

Why do you upgrade at all?
If a dual 1.25 or 1.42 is to slow so will those 1.6-1.8 will be that to. I would not spend 600 dollars on something "a bit faster". Keep those 600 dollars and start saving 100 dolars a month by the tiem you have the money for the protower all apps will be intel native and the "budget" tower will blow any G4 out of the water even when only using one core...

bossep  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by DrBoar View Post
Why do you upgrade at all?
If a dual 1.25 or 1.42 is to slow so will those 1.6-1.8 will be that to. I would not spend 600 dollars on something "a bit faster". Keep those 600 dollars and start saving 100 dolars a month by the tiem you have the money for the protower all apps will be intel native and the "budget" tower will blow any G4 out of the water even when only using one core...
I have a G4 DA 1.2GHz single, ATI9800Pro, 1.5GB RAM, 400GB SATA.
I am considering three alternatives:
1) Keep my present G4 and buy a Sonnet 2x1.6GHz
2) Sell my present G4 and buy a G4 MDD low end single cpu and upgrade with Sonnet 2x1.8GHz
3) Sell my present G4 and buy a G4 MDD dual 1.25 or dual 1.42

The advantage with the MDD is faster bus speed.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2006, 04:42 PM

You are in a tough spot. CPU upgrades are pricey. But then, so are MDDs.

bossep  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2006, 04:56 PM

You are in a tough spot. CPU upgrades are pricey. But then, so are MDDs.
With the Sonnet duet 1.6GHz it would be about £100. I am selling my old cpu that actually still is under warranty. I am really surprised hoe pricey MDDs are.

DrBoar
Senior User
Nov 9, 2006, 11:50 AM

For 3 years I had a G4 Sawtooth 1.2 GHz ATI8500 at home and a dual 1.25 (ATI 9000) at work and it did not notice any speed difference. So do not expect any significant speed gains outside multicore applications.

I would study both xlr8yourmac.com and barefeats.com for speed comparisons. in those applications that are critical to you. Even a maxed out G4 is jsut about on pair with a minimac (apart from the ATI9800 that is way better gaming card).

Do not buy a MDD, they are loud as hell and the bus speed does play a marginal role. Compare CPU upgrades on 100 and 133 MHz bus. No difference by that 33 MHz gain, and then an additonal 33 MHz will mean even less!

Selling your CPU and buying a 1.8 GHz G4 (sonnet 350$ gigadesign 300$ and then substracting what you can sell your CPU for) is then resonable as you alredy have a lot of investments in the computer. Paying an additional 200-300$ only make sense if you do a lot that really benefit from the second CPU.

I plan to use my Sawtooth for at least a year more for everything but games (and win applications)
In 2008 or so I will buy a Pro Mac tower with all the trimmings.

bossep  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by DrBoar View Post
For 3 years I had a G4 Sawtooth 1.2 GHz ATI8500 at home and a dual 1.25 (ATI 9000) at work and it did not notice any speed difference. So do not expect any significant speed gains outside multicore applications.

I would study both xlr8yourmac.com and barefeats.com for speed comparisons. in those applications that are critical to you. Even a maxed out G4 is jsut about on pair with a minimac (apart from the ATI9800 that is way better gaming card).

Do not buy a MDD, they are loud as hell and the bus speed does play a marginal role. Compare CPU upgrades on 100 and 133 MHz bus. No difference by that 33 MHz gain, and then an additonal 33 MHz will mean even less!

Selling your CPU and buying a 1.8 GHz G4 (sonnet 350$ gigadesign 300$ and then substracting what you can sell your CPU for) is then resonable as you alredy have a lot of investments in the computer. Paying an additional 200-300$ only make sense if you do a lot that really benefit from the second CPU.

I plan to use my Sawtooth for at least a year more for everything but games (and win applications)
In 2008 or so I will buy a Pro Mac tower with all the trimmings.
Thank you for your input. You actually answered the questions I had even without me having to ask. Are all MDD loud as hell? I thought that maybe the 167MHz instead of 133MHz bus could make a difference plus the DDR memory instead of Single and 2GB instead of 1.5GB limit.

I had an Sawtooth before but upgraded to this Digital Audio.
I am not into gaming but Photoshop CS2.

Compared to amy Intel-Mac any G4 is slow I guess? I have been thinking of having a Mini Mac side by side with my G4 too instead of any cpu upgrade. But then the graphics card sucks in the Mini.

I also believe the duet 1.6Ghz is the limit for my G4. 2x1.8GHz is more suitable for QS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules