Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Best video card choice for my PMG4?

Best video card choice for my PMG4?
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2007, 12:48 PM

Well the stock NVIDIA card in my Power Mac is causing kernel panics. So I need a new graphics card. The budget isn't too limited, but I really don't need a killer card. I really only need Core Animation and Video to work I guess. Any suggestions? Buy new or used? What card? Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533 MHz. All PCI slots are free.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2007, 02:43 PM

There aren't any Core Image/Video/Animation capable PCI cards, so you're going to have to replace your AGP card.

The cheapest card is the 9600 Pro, but it's quite dated (bare minimum for Core Image/Video) and still over $200 ($219 at OWC). From there you may as well step up to the 9800 Pro (which is quite a bit faster) for $249, but it's still a huge premium to pay for a 4 year old graphics card.

I'd seriously think about selling your PowerMac and buying an Intel mini since you're not using any PCI cards.

As an aside in my continuing amazement at Mac video card prices, the 9600 Pro for PCs is $58.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2007, 03:34 PM

I can't really afford a Mac mini though and I don't want to sell the Power Mac without a working video card.

bossep
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I can't really afford a Mac mini though and I don't want to sell the Power Mac without a working video card.
When talking graphics card. Can that card cause C-P? Today for the first time I got up an icon that looked like a graphics card. Could it be a warning?

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2007, 07:46 PM

Anything hardware can cause kernel panics, especially graphics cards.

bossep
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2007, 04:46 AM

"Especially graphics cards"! Why?

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2007, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by bossep View Post
"Especially graphics cards"! Why?
Because they have direct access to the I/O subsystems, as well as kernel and root-level processes in the OS.........

Oh and the best price/performance value for an APG card would be a flashed peecee Radeon 9800, they have been going for ~$75 lately. I have one in my QS and it works great
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2007, 10:44 PM

Okay. What if I don't need the Core stuff. Then what should I get. $200 is a bit more than I want to put into this machine right now. OWC says the 9600 won't run in anything less than a MDD.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2007, 11:21 AM

Any of the lower end Radeons... 7000, 8500, or 9200. But you'll still pay quite a premium for them.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2007, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Okay. What if I don't need the Core stuff. Then what should I get. $200 is a bit more than I want to put into this machine right now. OWC says the 9600 won't run in anything less than a MDD.
That's a lie. My Brother has a 9600 w/ 128MB running in his Sawtooth... I think. Maybe it's a 9800
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2007, 11:15 PM

A 9800 is the best card for a G4. The slow buses on the G4 models would make anything faster a waste of money. I'd suggest a flashed PC version as it's cheaper than the stock Mac model.

bossep
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2007, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Zubir View Post
A 9800 is the best card for a G4. The slow buses on the G4 models would make anything faster a waste of money. I'd suggest a flashed PC version as it's cheaper than the stock Mac model.
I have the 9800Pro 128MB. A G4 can't take any more high spec graphics card. You have now a 9800Pro 256MB too or it may have replaced the 128MB?

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2007, 03:01 PM

The 256mb model isn't any faster than the 128mb one. The extra ram just lets you run at higher video resolutions. I'd stick with what you have.

bossep
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2007, 03:36 PM

I have no plans to update. I have replaced the standard fan with a Zalman and I have no idea how to take that off the card. I will not be able to bring the card with me one day to the Mac Pro.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Zubir View Post
The 256mb model isn't any faster than the 128mb one. The extra ram just lets you run at higher video resolutions. I'd stick with what you have.
Even at the highest resolution it supports (1920x1200) and 32 bit color you're only at ~17MB with double buffering.

Forum Links
Forum Rules