Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Profile Issues

Profile Issues
pixiepurls
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 11:37 PM

I backed up my PB G4 via firewire to my spankin' new MBP 15". So it was a weird thing because it didn't tell me to reboot and none of my itunes stuff showed up the next day until I rebooted, then I noticed that my "profile" didn't show up when i clicked on the "Macintosh HD" icon. Meaning I can find it via "HD" > "Users" and my old user profile (new I mean on the new computer) shows up in "deleted users" which was fine, no data needed there, but and the new (but actually very old profile of the same name form my PB) is now inplace as the lead profile, but no profiles what so ever show up in that "Home" Hard drive screen, just the applications folder and nothing else. I can't remember all what used to be there but I know there was more then 1 icon. How can I fix this?
--------------------------------
<")))>< <")))>< <")))><
i h e a r t s u s h i

ibook_steve
Jan 10, 2007, 02:05 AM

I think I speak for most people here when I say... huh?

Can you try explaining that again with a few periods sprinkled in? I've read it three times now and I'm still not sure what you're talking about.

Steve

pixiepurls  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 12:15 PM

Sorry, it's hard to describe.

I had a Powerbook. I used firewire to port all my files over to my new Macbook Pro using the transfer software that the mac comes with.

Once I had everything moved over to my new macbook pro, something got messed up with the profiles.

You know how when you click on the "Hard Drive" icon you get your kind of "My Computer" view and you can see your hard drive, with any CD's or external drives under it?? To the right is maybe a deepder view of your hard drive. But also to the LEFT under the hard drive and cd rom or external drive icons is a list of all the profiles on the machine? That whole area is empty, nothing shows up there.

I can get to the profiles on machine by digging around in the hard drive and finding it, but if you double click you Hard Drive Icon you will see to the left your profiles listed. Mines totally emty in that left hand area, below the hard drive icon.
<")))>< <")))>< <")))><
i h e a r t s u s h i

ibook_steve
Jan 10, 2007, 02:23 PM

Are you talking about account profiles as in the Accounts System Preferences? The directory structure should be:

<your hard drive name> -> Users -> (user account folders)

I'm guessing you are talking about the sidebar on the left side of Finder windows. This has nothing to do with accounts. You can put any folders or disks there you want just like the dock to have quick access to them. Just drag and drop and aliases of selected items will appear in the sidebar on the left of all Finder windows.

Steve

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Jan 11, 2007, 05:43 AM

If it is the sidebar you are talking about you can go to Finder Preferences to tell it what you would like shown in there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules