Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help! Dataviz Documents to Go Keeps Quitting during install!

Help! Dataviz Documents to Go Keeps Quitting during install!
midwinter
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 05:48 PM

Hi all.

My wife is frantically trying to get DTG on her Powerbook, but the damned thing keeps quitting unexpectedly at the tail end of the installation procedure.

I've uninstalled the application and tried to reinstall. I've re-downloaded it. She's got a legit serial. I've trashed the prefs.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Scott

Nuke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 09:09 PM

What version are you trying to install? 5.x or the brand new 6.x?

Does your hotsync work OK?

Are type of device are you trying to connect?

Do you have the device/cradle attached when you run the installer?

I'm not an expert but have spent many hours getting DTG 5.x to "go" both on Powerbook at home and Win desktop at work.

midwinter  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Nuke:
What version are you trying to install? 5.x or the brand new 6.x?
6.x

Does your hotsync work OK?
Hotsync is flakey for some reason. The 10.2.8 update appears to have buggered it all up. At the moment, though, we're just trying to install the thing on the computer.

Are type of device are you trying to connect?
Palm Tungsten T3

[/quote]Do you have the device/cradle attached when you run the installer?[/quote]

No. We sync via bluetooth.

I'm not an expert but have spent many hours getting DTG 5.x to "go" both on Powerbook at home and Win desktop at work. [/B]
And help will do!

Cheers
Scott

Nuke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 09:30 PM

Oh my! You really are on the bleeding edge!

Version 6 was just announced. I have experience only with 5.x, sorry.

If I understand correctly, you are reinstalling Hotsync? If so, try use the cable/cradle so to remove Bluetooth from the possible issues. I know that 10.2.8 "improved" bluetooth. I can't test that here since I use an old m515 via cable. Did you do the initial 10.2.8 upgrade or the one that came a week later? I missed the first one and haven't noticed any problem with sync, but again, I use the cradle exclusively.

See if you can get the sync to work properly. Then install DTG with the cradle & device attached. See if that makes a difference

Check in the Hotsync manager to see if the DTG apps are ready for download/install to the Palm. I would be concerned that the bluetooth might have a problem with the large DTG apps that need to be installed.

Do you have a backup card for the Palm? Depending on your success doing some of the stuff above, you may need to go drastic and delete all the DTG apps installed, do a backup and hard reset. I'll have to search for the support emails that I went through. It might take some time.

midwinter  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 09:34 PM

Nuke,

I think you're misunderstanding. The DTG application on the computer won't install. We haven't even GOTTEN to the DTG app on the Palm, which won't let my wife register it....

Cheers
Scott

Nuke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 09:48 PM

Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Does it crash before or after you try and put in the registration info?

Are you doing a upgrade of DTG?

If if crashes after you put in the reg. info, did you try and install as an evaluation? You can register the product after you have successfully installed a eval version. See if you can install that.

BTW, I realize you may have done this already but have you checked out:

http://support.dataviz.com/docshitli...0&subcatid=130

Nuke

midwinter  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by Nuke:
[B]Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Does it crash before or after you try and put in the registration info?
after.

Are you doing a upgrade of DTG?
Yes. From the CD that came with the T.

If if crashes after you put in the reg. info, did you try and install as an evaluation?
Yes. That was fine. But time is running out.

You can register the product after you have successfully installed a eval version. See if you can install that.
OK. Wife just clued me in:

Says she can register on the mac, but when she hits OK in the registration process, the installer crashes.

DTG/Dataviz says that it's registered. And the application launches from the folder. So this may not be a big deal.

On the Palm, when she goes to "product activation," she enters the reg. number and the key and gets the following error: "You have entered an invalid reg. number or activation key."

Is there a separate reg. and key for the palm app?

Nuke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 10:09 PM

quote:

"Is there a separate reg. and key for the palm app?"

I can only comment for version 5.x. The registration number was the same.

So if I understand correctly, the Mac version can register if you install the eval and then use the registration from within DTG.(?)

Please have a look at the Dataviz support site. It looks to me like many of the issues you have indicated are listed there. Sorry for the previous URL. I tried it again and it doesn't work very well. Try <http://support.dataviz.com> and just select v6 for Mac. It should give you a page where you can select "installation" as the subcategories. The top couple of issues should help.

I have to crash now. Sorry I wasn't much more help.

Good luck.

Regards
Nuke

midwinter  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 10:16 PM

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules