Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Web design: Looking for simple application or web service

Web design: Looking for simple application or web service
HamSandwich
Jun 28, 2012, 02:41 PM

Hey!

I wanted to help my mum build a personal website. She paints in her freetime ocasionally, and she usually takes photos of the paintings - so she thought she could create an online gallery as well.
She would also like to create some sort of general blog (thoughts on books she has discovered, receipes she has found or restaurants she has visited, politics she might have wondered about; stuff like that).

How do I do that? I can do some graphics design and I built some smaller websites in the past, so I thought I can build the website, but I need something automatic, so that she can update the blog and gallery by herself. Is that possible? (for free) Do I need a special application like DreamWeaver (which I thought was rather expensive)? Can I use some sort of good, easy to use online service (I discovered there is Google Sites, sites.google.com, for instance, but I didn't really try).
I wanted to create some sort of simple, elegant design, too, so nothing ugly, please...

(And yes, I know HTML well enough and I can modify PHP and JavaScript if necessary and not too complicated...)

Any help?
Thanks!
Pete

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2012, 03:11 PM

I would give Posterous a look.

HamSandwich
Jun 28, 2012, 03:30 PM

Oh cool, looks great... wow

andi*pandi
Jun 28, 2012, 03:31 PM

Wordpress is also worth a look. Do you want to host it for her or have the service provide hosting?

wordpress.com
wordpress.org

HamSandwich
Jun 28, 2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Wordpress is also worth a look. Do you want to host it for her or have the service provide hosting?

wordpress.com
wordpress.org
Thanks, I'll check... I don't know if I understand the question... We have a few URLs with 1und1.de which offers both the domain and webspace for hosting, so we have some webspace there too. So I could also build something on my own, in a way... but some of the posterous designs looks great, I'd love to have some animation of some sort, that can be elegant if well done, hmm...

gregfripp
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2012, 08:46 AM

you might look at sandvox too
it does my simple site well, but has many different pages which might suit.
greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules