Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Ram: How much, What quality

Ram: How much, What quality
kevs
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 07:01 PM

I may be getting G5 down the road (now have dual 533 G4), and also may be getting i book.

Question is
1) How much Ram for someone who may be using computer for opening lots of photo images in RAW format and doing some video editing as well. Currently I have 1 GB Ram, and it seems fine, but.......

2) Should I stick with Apple certified Ram? I've gone that way from bad experiences with 3rd party Ram in the past. Now one school of though says that if you put in 3rd party ram and it works ok for first week, it will work ok forever. Of course, I wonder, if you buy a crappy stereo and it works ok for a week, does not mean it will hold up as long as a great stereo......

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 07:37 PM

1) Well, are you satisfied with your performance? Does your computer page out a lot? Check top to see how many pageouts you have. Some are to be expected, but too much is an indication that you need more RAM than you have. Frequent disk thrashing is also a sign of "RAM starvation."

2) Apple RAM is a ripoff. Buy Crucial.

3) Do a search for more information. This topic has been covered many times.

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2004, 08:05 PM

Since about 1988 I have been buying Macs. I have always bought their
RAM. I cannot afford to be down. I seems that Apple RAM is more
reliable. Plus, I want to keep the amount of aggrevation to a minimum.
Cheaper is not always better.

aehaas

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2004, 08:34 PM

I've always bought my RAM from local PC shops, just walk into one and ask about the return policy-- most will allow returns, which should give you enough time for testing.

The last time I bought some I just explained the situation about Mac's being potentially finicky and the manager told me I could have a week to test.

Forum Links
Forum Rules