Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Bit Torrent kinda sucks

Bit Torrent kinda sucks (Page 2)
bmedina
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
I've got a software firewall and a router firewall on. Do I need both on?
You need to open the ports that bittorrent uses on both firewalls. If you're behind a router doing NAT, you need to forward to your computer the ports that bittorrent uses.

It's that simple.

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 01:26 AM

Just a little update. I switched to Azureus which gives much better statistical info than the other clients I've used. Also, I've learned how torrents seem to come in a "wave" -- starting slowly and then building a head of steam. Lastly, I've learned how to identify a torrent potential to be good vs. one that will sorta suck.

I don't use it very often but, all in all, my torrenting has improved dramatically over the last several weeks. So ... I guess BT doesn't really suck so bad after all

demograph68
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2004, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by bmedina:
If you're behind a router doing NAT, you need to forward to your computer the ports that bittorrent uses.
How do I do that?

bmedina
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
How do I do that?
For most routers, it involves pulling up the administration webpage from the router's built-in webserver. You can find your router's address by going into System Preferences and checking the Network section for the TCP/IP settings; your router's address will be listed there, and you can type that address into a web browser.

From there, almost every router is different. But if you poke around long enough, you'll find something like port forwarding, or virtual servers, or any of the other stupid names that companies come up with. Forward the aforementioned ports to whatever IP address your computer gets from the router. You'll probably also want to set the router to always give your computer the same IP address.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2004, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by bmedina:
For most routers, it involves pulling up the administration webpage from the router's built-in webserver. You can find your router's address by going into System Preferences and checking the Network section for the TCP/IP settings; your router's address will be listed there, and you can type that address into a web browser.
I tried that and end up with http://192.168.0.1/ never loading in Safari. This sucks...

bmedina
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 03:02 AM

What kind of router do you have?

demograph68
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 11:59 AM

Ambit Wireless LAN Cable Modem
Model Number: 60740EUW--U10C007

I had to call RoadRunner to find out. Their is no name of manufacturer on the actually router.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 01:20 PM

More problems it seems... OK So I need to use Telnet to fix it right? Nice So the question now is..... what do I type for ssh _____@_____ and password? This is so ****ing frustrating. Maybe I need a better router that won't give me this "NAT Error" BS.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
More problems it seems... OK So I need to use Telnet to fix it right? Nice So the question now is..... what do I type for ssh _____@_____ and password? This is so ****ing frustrating. Maybe I need a better router that won't give me this "NAT Error" BS.
The first link says the default username/password is admin/cableroot. So open up a terminal window and type "telnet [email protected]", and type in "cableroot" when it asks for a password.

Forum Links
Forum Rules