Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Two-factor authentication re-instituted at iCloud.com

Two-factor authentication re-instituted at iCloud.com
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 16, 2014, 03:55 PM

Apple has once again enabled a two-factor authentication option for iCloud.com. It was briefly introduced in June, but then vanished for reasons unknown. Much like its equivalent for Apple IDs, the iCloud.com two-factor system requires verifying identity through SMS or Find My iPhone. Only once this is done can users load the site's apps.

The move is presumably a part of Apple's ongoing efforts to better secure iCloud in the wake of a celebrity photo leak scandal. Although not every image was hacked out of an iCloud account, many were, and ongoing media reports forced the company to respond. Aside from encouraging two-factor authentication, Apple is also better notifying people about activity on their accounts.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 17, 2014 at 05:09 AM. )

daqman
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2014, 05:10 PM

This knee-jerk change is somewhat welcome but annoying in it's implementation, come on Apple get a grip! I wanted to use iCloud this afternoon and couldn't. I'd set up two factor to protect my iTunes account, two factor was not available on iCloud.com. So, I left my phone at home so tried to check mail on my laptop at work only to find out that I couldn't get in because two factor is now implemented and live!

A little bit of warning would be nice but NO once again Apple enables a restrictive feature with no warning.

Oh, and another thing, now I get an email every time that I use iCloud and even from my own laptop. Can't you set this thing to trust certain devices? If you are supposed to be able to it isn't working!
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2014, 01:33 AM

Give em a day or two to work out the bugs. Even the Enterprise needed a shakedown cruise.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules