Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > saving files : from default 'documents' to other folders

saving files : from default 'documents' to other folders
rotuts
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2015, 02:57 PM

Im on an iMac now 10.9.x

in the past when you saved a document to a folder the OS remembered where you last saved one

more of less

now it seems the default is to the 'documents' folder, which I never use.

can one changes this. its a small thing but
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 20, 2015, 03:35 PM

It really depends on what you're saving from. Apps have their own settings for where they save things, including "save to most recent destination" or whatever wording they may use. Yes, it's a small thing, but it's something worth your looking at with each app you use and plan to save from. And the default behavior for OS X apps is to at least tell you where it's saving AND to offer an option to save elsewhere. Usually you have to just click on a button to reveal those choices...

Finally, why do you never use your Documents folder? It's there on purpose, you know. Sort of a place to save "documents" in...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2015, 07:30 AM

thanks Ill try to keep better track

i save to 3 - 4 folders, whiich I like on the desk top based on what being saved

a cooking vid from EyeTV goes into cooking etc

these are the same things I routinely saved in earlier OS.'s

those OS's rememberd the last save, and gave a similar dialogue box as the current one that always seem,s

to back to documents. thanks again !
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 21, 2015, 10:47 AM

The standard "Save" dialog will have a file name at the top, and a small button with a downward arrow (like an inverted caret) to its right. Clicking on that button allows you to send the file wherever you want it to be saved. Different applications will have different default behaviors. For example, Chrome has a setting under Preferences|Advanced for where downloaded files go. Pages, on the other hand, depends entirely on that Save dialog, and (I think) will stick with the last used destination until you change it. I don't know anything about EyeTV's behaviors, but I'd look at both the Save dialog and the app's Preferences to see if there's some setting that gives you this control. For what it's worth, it's really not about the OS version, it's about the apps and their behaviors - which may have changed when they were updated for newer OS versions.

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2015, 09:11 AM

thank you
good points

any idea where on a current safari I can set the DL
?

much appreciated.
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 23, 2015, 08:20 PM

It's under Preferences|General - it stands out quite clearly when you look at it.......

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2015, 09:01 AM

i seem to have already set safari to 'desktop'

so it must have been something else

sorry

but stay tuned !
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

honestone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2015, 12:15 PM

Regarding Google Chrome and Safari, when one does a "Save Page As" from the file menu, the dialogue that ghporter described appears. Right now, mine is set to "Desktop", but I can change that location if I want. For Word and Excel, if I want to save the file somewhere else, or in the same location but with a different name, I use "Save As".

So, can you try "Save As" to resolve your issue?

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2015, 08:19 AM

thanks for all the suggestions

ill try to keep better track of the problem

thanks again
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2015, 10:19 AM

one of the programs that defaults to 'document' now that did not before seems to be Quick time,

v 7

if i copy and paste a segment into a new player, it defaults to documents and as far as I can tell

under prefs for this version of QT there is no way to set the place Id like the new QT file to be saved
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

P
Jun 30, 2015, 11:54 AM

You can workaround by making a shortcut in Documents pointing to where you would like files to be saved.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2015, 08:50 AM

good idea.

the issue is that in the past when saving or looking for something there seemed to be a default that led you

to where you were in the last place

a corollary : Ive been watching a series of DVD's on my computer in a particular folder

when I go to the next 'disc' with DVD Player, it doesnt take me to that folder first, I have to navigate to it each time.

not the end of the world, almost, but it was a nice feature to always go back to what you did the last time

after all, the OS has to start you somewhere, better that than someplace you never wanted to be
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules