Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Using wireless Netgear router as bridge/repeater.

Using wireless Netgear router as bridge/repeater.
Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2004, 01:59 AM

Okey doke, I currently have 2 routers. One wired Netgear and one Wireless Netgear. I have landline devices using 3 of the ports on the wired. The 4th port feeds down to the wireless router which has two devices hooked to it ... one landline desktop computer and a wireless PC laptop.

ALL IS WELL. Everything works dandy as is BUT I would like to repeat the signal of the wireless router to another wireless device and just have that device repeat the same signal. Unfortunately, there's a couple of problems:
-- Wireless router absolutely flakes out and resets several times a day if I use it in regular "g" mode. So ... I use Netgear's proprietary "Super G 108mbps" mode exclusively. This also is no problem as their Super G mode has better range and higher throughput than the other modes anyway. Have never experienced a spontaneous reboot in Super G mode.
-- Most of the repeaters I've seen on the market (including Netgear's) are just regular "g" repeaters. To my knowledge, they don't specifically make a repeater for their Super G technology.

Sooooo ... It appears that if I want a repeater for Super G, I'd need to buy another wireless router identical to the one I have now that can broadcast the same Super G signal. I have no problem doing this since the wireless router is cheaper (or nearly as cheap) as any access point or repeater I've seen anyway (must be supply and demand thing kicking in).

So my question is:
Does anyone here know if a wireless router will actually receive and repeat a wireless signal or must it be fed by a landline ? I'm assuming it must be fed by a landline but am hoping I'm wrong. I know a wireless router can act as an access point (by turning off its DHCP server and letting the main router handle that ... this is how I'm using it right now, in fact). Any thoughts ? Anyone pulling something like this off ??

Malvavisco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2004, 04:47 PM

I'd like to know more about this too. I have a Netgear wireless G router and another Netger Wireless B router. I'd like to use the B router to expand my network. The wireless G router is feed by the land line. My G5 is so far from the G router that it only gets tow bars.. and my connection feels like dial-up. I hope someone nice posts some easy to follow instructions....

Forum Links
Forum Rules