Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > indesign

indesign
PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 07:34 AM

hi, i want to make a brochure with CMYK coloring. because the text-contents of the brochure will change rapidly the following weeks I was advised to use 1 spotcolor for the (changing) text.

my question is actually, how do I set this procedure up? What settings do I use? I am a newby.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 10:40 AM

Just pick any PMS color and use it for the text that has to change. All your printer wants is to swap out one plate instead of four, whenever there is a change.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Rick Wells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2005, 07:08 PM

I would assume CMYK printing because there are colour photography images in the brochure. If this is the case then a pms spot colour will require a 5th plate. Does the printer have a 5 colour press ? If not then the spot colour will be a 2nd pass through the press. Alternatively, do all your text in black and make a new black plate each week. Just make the text changes each week and supply the revised disc to your printer who will do the rest.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Rick Wells:
I would assume CMYK printing because there are colour photography images in the brochure. If this is the case then a pms spot colour will require a 5th plate. Does the printer have a 5 colour press ? If not then the spot colour will be a 2nd pass through the press. Alternatively, do all your text in black and make a new black plate each week. Just make the text changes each week and supply the revised disc to your printer who will do the rest.
The fifth plate can be printed in any color. If the printer asked for a spot plate- they know why they are asking for it. A dif black plate every time that contained all the black elements of the job would be very risky for registration, etc. Keep the text as a spot- it will print separate in whatever color you want- black even. But it saves everyone time and money in the long run.

Rick Wells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2005, 07:10 AM

KerlVit has a point regarding possible registration problems although I have produced a job as you describe with 3 copy changes and registration was fine at the last print run. One further advantage of using a spot colour is that you could print the job, right from the start, with CMYK plus a fifth colour for text. You could do a long print run of CMYK and keep the sheets in stock. Then you would overprint as and when required with whatever text/colour you want. This would be cheaper than having to go through the full CMYK + spot colour set-up on the press every time. On a small print run the set-up costs represent a significant proportion of the total cost.

Forum Links
Forum Rules