Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Moby on iTunes Music finally! More Indies on the way

Moby on iTunes Music finally! More Indies on the way
DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2003, 05:55 AM

2 Moby albums were posted on the iTunes Music Store this morning.

They are his latest album 18, and his hit from a few years ago Play. Strangely, South Side on the downloaded version of the album i bought isn't the album version of the song, but instead the Gwen Stefani version of it that was popular on the radio. A little weird, but still a great album.

Oh, and also an exclusive, Love of Strings, basically an instrumental version of Signs of Love.

And moby gets his own little page and profile in iTunes with a picture of him looking off in the distance in the Jungle. He has a funny little blurb.

Great for Moby! Great for indies... finally making their way to the store.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2003, 06:22 AM

Moby? Indie? I'm sorry, you need to return to 1998, the future's no place for you.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2003, 06:28 AM

Yeah...one of the world's most mainstream sellouts is hardly "indie".

Has he ever come out and credited all the spirituals singers that made "Play", or is he still acting like he actually did anything creative?

-s*

DaedalusDX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2003, 06:43 AM

V2 is independent, is it not?

Excuse me for having no taste.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2003, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by DaedalusDX:
V2 is independent, is it not?

Excuse me for having no taste.
I wasn't saying you have no taste. In fact I enjoy a bit of Moby myself, and went to his last concert. I was just saying that Moby is no indie.

DaedalusDX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2003, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
I wasn't saying you have no taste. In fact I enjoy a bit of Moby myself, and went to his last concert. I was just saying that Moby is no indie.
I stand corrected. My still holds for s* though.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2003, 07:17 AM

Calling V2 an indie label is pushing it.

But it's nice to see the store go beyond the big five. How much longer until they carry music from Sanctuary Records?
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 29, 2003, 07:23 AM

Strangely, South Side on the downloaded version of the album i bought isn't the album version of the song, but instead the Gwen Stefani version of it that was popular on the radio. A little weird, but still a great album.
I seem to recall hearing that Moby liked that version so much that he replaced it on subsequent versions of the CD, but I'm not positive about that.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2003, 07:24 AM

Nice to see some Scandinavian music on there too, in the form of Junior Senior - albeit in the dreaded Clean Lyrics (thanks again christian morals!) version.

*still waiting patiently for the european music store*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2003, 07:39 AM

I stand corrected. My still holds for s* though.
I wasn't criticising your taste.

My major beef with Moby is that the guy made (and is still making) bargefuls of money off others' work that he didn't even bother crediting, AFAIK. Once you remove all those vocal samples from "Play", what's left is neither terribly original nor terribly good, yet it makes huge amounts of money. Sorry if that assessment deserves a rolleyes IYO, but I suspect I wasn't being clear.

And V2 does have a lot of artists under contract that are generally considered "indie". (from http://www.radiomoi.com:8080/rm/info...&label_id=1803)
Artists, distributed by V2 Records: Billy Crawford & Nick Cave & Bisso Na Bisso & Moby & High Llamas & Tragedy Khadafi & Aphrodite & Mandalay & Stereophonics & Y. Tribe & Sam Moore & Soul Bros. 6 & Only Paradise & Rinocerose & Raffen & Aimee Mann and Michael Penn & Clarence Carter & Those Bastard Souls & Pussy 2000 & Annie Christian & Tin Star & Sarah McLachlan & Headrillaz & Black Crowes & 12 Rods & Robert Ruggieri & Groove Chronicles & Spirit Nation & Colourgirl & Master Stepz & Bini And Martini & Alien Crime Syndicate & Brendan Benson & Kathleen Wilhoite & Scott4 & Vines & Sheryl Crow & Howie Day & Grandaddy & Caroline af Ugglas & Psycore & Otis Redding & Blessid Union Of Souls & Addict & Paul Westerberg & Mikey Dread & Wallflowers & Robert DeCormier Folk Singers & N`Dea Davenport & Chocolate Genius & One Minute Silence & Second Protocol & Nadine & Rufus Wainwright & Capital T & Various Artists & T-Tree & P.M. Dawn & Mercury Rev & Touch and Go & Fantastic Johnny C & Alice Temple & Underworld & Jesse James Dupree & Ky-Mani & Yankee B. & Datsuns & Slaves On Dope & Allen Toussaint & Passi & Heather Nova & Alex Gopher & Ian Pooley & Ben Harper & Eddie Vedder & Ben Folds & Voices Of East Harlem & Hugh Masekela & Joseph Joubert & Vibrolush & Soul Clan & Michael Hutchence & DJ Zinc & Wookie & Reservoir Dogs Inc. & Junior Delgado & Augustus Pablo & Born Jamericans & Madasun & Prodigy [Electronica] & Donny Hathaway & Jungle Brothers
There is a lot of non-"indie" stuff there, though, and anything financed and backed by Richard Branson's considerable fortune cannot really be considered an "independent label", however cool he or his company may be (and I hear he is, indeed, very cool).

-s*

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2003, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I seem to recall hearing that Moby liked that version so much that he replaced it on subsequent versions of the CD, but I'm not positive about that.
I think that the Gwen version was originally intended to be on the CD, but for some reason Moby didn't like the mix of her vocals or something. I believe they either re-recorded her part or remixed it, and then released that as the popular single.

(I find it funny how many people want to be all like... "ooh, I'm independent, I'm one bad muthaf*@#$, I'm down with all the non-commercial stuff, go me." If the music sounds good... listen to it. Forget about indie/non-indie labels. If the indie-labels had just been founded back in the early 1900s they'd be the big corporate labels now instead of our big five. Sorry for the flamebait )

However, Moby isn't saying that he originally sang those samples, is he? I saw him on Sessions from 54th street or whatever that PBS show is, and he was saying how he got a gift of a spirituals CD collection and thought they were really cool. I mean... does Missy Elliot credit Frankie Smith for adding that funky "Millzee billza sillzam killz" whatever line in her song? Of all sorts of other artists - they don't go way out their way to credit who they're sampling. Not like some Clear Channel radio station DJ is going to say, "That was the new Moby album, with samples from some unknown spiritual singer from the 1880s." Radio DJs suck, at least those on Clear Channel.

Moby's got fun music. Good enough.

But if he truly didn't credit the music on his CD, not even in the liner notes, that does suck.

rezzi
Jul 29, 2003, 01:42 PM

I read recently where Apple also inked an agreement with CDbaby. I know someone who has his music there. This could really be great for indie bands/individuals. Don't remember where I saw the article though.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 02:13 PM

This whole "indie/mainstream" issue is ridiculous (and yes, people, that's how it's spelled -- not "rediculous") whether you apply it to artists, genres, or record companies. Get over yourselves and just enjoy whatever the hell you want, crappy or otherwise.

As for the bald guy crediting his samples, if those he sampled aren't bitching about it, then why should you?
I, ASIMO.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2003, 02:27 PM

I love his music.

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2003, 02:38 PM

I love his music.
Me too. And I obviously don't know what he's like in private, but no other mainstream artists have struck me as having so little ego. I have respect for what he does, because he's never called his music original, unlike a lot (not all, but a lot) of rappers do when they sample.

He just seems like a really cool, fun, down to earth kinda guy.

P.S. - I hate being at work every Tuesday, and not being able to see what's been added to the iTMS. Damn this PC.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2003, 03:02 PM

Now... when the iTMS gets mr.Lady records on... I'll be happy

---

Indie groups I'd like to see on the iTMS

Le Tigre
Red Delicious
Glitter Mini 9

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

DaedalusDX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
Me too. And I obviously don't know what he's like in private, but no other mainstream artists have struck me as having so little ego. I have respect for what he does, because he's never called his music original, unlike a lot (not all, but a lot) of rappers do when they sample.

He just seems like a really cool, fun, down to earth kinda guy.
I read his blog... from what i can tell, he's usually a pretty soft spoken kind of guy, but he does tend to get pretty vocal about politics...about music, i don't think he touts his music as the best thing ever... he admits his music is just stuff that he enjoys and wants to share.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 03:33 PM

Yeah, he's pretty political, but I like the music he does. Who cares if he credits old spiritual music. That stuffs probably in the public domain anyway.

I'm glad there is continually music going in the music store. I'm waiting for Badda Bing to get in there. Maybe it is now. I haven't checked yet today.

AnteL0pe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2003, 03:45 PM

i bet my indie lable could beat up your indie lable.....
Spymac.com

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2003, 03:48 PM

I'm glad there is continually music going in the music store.
I agree, but New Music Tuesdays have pretty much amounted to a trickle. I want a flood. I'm waiting for the day that Apple can say, "New Music Tuesday? Fcuk That! We just doubled the song count of the iTunes Store!"

I'd love to see it take just one really huge jump. Or maybe update one week with the entire library of a label and feature the entire label. It'd be cool if every label could have their own page and decide who gets featured and how it's set up (within reason of course).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
As for the bald guy crediting his samples, if those he sampled aren't bitching about it, then why should you?
I do agree on the distinction between "indie" and "major" being rather moot.

But crediting samples has to do a) with money, because, somebody, somewhere, owns some rights, and b) with respect.

b) is the more important bit, IMO.

And Missy Elliot does indeed credit the samples on her work.

-s*

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2003, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Nice to see some Scandinavian music on there too, in the form of Junior Senior - albeit in the dreaded Clean Lyrics (thanks again christian morals!) version.

*still waiting patiently for the european music store*
They have both the clean and regular albums up now.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2003, 10:20 PM

And Moby, you can get stomped by Obie,
You 36 year old bald headed *** blow me
You don't know me, you're too old
Let go, it's over, nobody listens to techno

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2003, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
Now... when the iTMS gets mr.Lady records on... I'll be happy
...yeah...Sarah Dougher....her records are quite good!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2003, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
I agree, but New Music Tuesdays have pretty much amounted to a trickle. I want a flood.
They put up a really lot of stuff yesterday; check out the full list linked off of the email; it's easily 2x-3x last week's, which itself was more than others.

Forum Links
Forum Rules