Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Fighting Back. Had it. EAT ME.

Fighting Back. Had it. EAT ME.
maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 08:19 AM

Yes, I am. Had it with gay/straight/ Abraham/ Ishmael/ Left/ Right/ Christian/ Jewish/ Muslim/ Military/ Civilian bladdeebladee... and my last attempt to enforce my will upon yet another well grilled topic went awry (mostly because I went home and failed to baby sit it), so.
I'll present yet ANOTHER attempt to show the world that we here at NN are, in fact, capable of agreeing SOMETHING. And that SOMETHING is FOOD. Well, that we NEED it, anyway.

So. I'm asking maxintosh and a few others who dropped recipes into that... thing of a thread to repost them here. I'm asking dave to hurry the frig up with that BBQ sauce recipe.

And I am presenting my swordfish marinade.

Lemon.
White wine.
Honey (just a touch- and depending upon how sweet the white wine was)
Rosemary
Mustard (Now, I like using COlemans Dry, but the wife has taken to dropping in some dijon when I'm not looking... and it is pretty good).
Black Pepper.

Slop it together. Marinade the fish for a couple of hours. Grillup.

I defy the general consensus and like a Washington or Oregon Pinot Noir with my grilled swordfish. Or beer. Guinness.

Next up: Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Tart with Walnut crumb shell.

And if y'all REALLY behave, the BEST friggin savory meat pies EVER. And I mean that. From the DEPTHS of my soul.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

dencamp
Senior User
Jul 30, 2003, 08:23 AM

I tried to get your back with a solid Mousaka recipe...

veggie skewer marinade for grilling

Stone ground mustard
balsamic vinnegar
light olive oil
(strangely) kraft honey barbecue sauce
cumin (in nearly half of what I cook)
garlic salt

Simple, sweet and quite tasty.

Two steps forward (six steps back)

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 08:32 AM

hehehe... I'm so tempted to say something but I shall restrain myself...

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 08:34 AM

I have lots of recipes.

I'll back ya.

Let's see...

How about an easy crabcake recipe? That's always a fave and you can pick up crabs or lobsters cheap in the summer and if you can't find them where you are for some reason then used canned meat.

Here goes:

CRAB CAKES OR LOBSTER CAKES

Olive oil
2 eggs
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons diced pimentos
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives or onions
1 pound lobster meat, or crab meat, cooked and chopped (or one lobster, boiled, and chopped -- boil live whole lobster for 8 to 10 minutes or have your grocery store steam one for you)
1/2 cup crushed butter crackers (or saltines), plus another 1/2 cup crackers set aside
Zinger Sauce, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Oil a cookie sheet with olive oil. In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs with a wire whisk. Whisk in the ketchup, mayonnaise, butter, seasoned salt, and paprika. Stir in the pimentos and chives. Add lobster or crabmeat and 1/2 cup of the crushed butter crackers. Stir gently to combine. Form the mixture into 8 cakes, using a 1/3-cup measure for each. Dredge both sides of the cakes in the remaining 1/2 cup of cracker crumbs and place on oiled cookie sheet. Flatten slightly to make a 3-inch cake. Bake for 8 minutes, carefully turn each cake, and continue baking for another 8 minutes.

Drizzle Zinger Sauce over cakes or serve on the side.

Zinger Sauce:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons ketchup
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
Cayenne pepper or chili powder if desired (to taste)

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until smooth and use on the side as a dipping sauce or pour over the cakes.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 08:42 AM

I learned last night, on "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy", a newbie rule for baking most kinds of fish: 6, 10, 400.

6 oz.
10 minutes at
400� F

I also learned, in Science Times, that that "Chilean Sea Bass" I see everywhere on the menu (because it keeps well) has a more common name: the Patagonian Toothfish.

Yum.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2003, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Timo:
I learned last night, on "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy", a newbie rule for baking most kinds of fish: 6, 10, 400.

6 oz.
10 minutes at
400� F

I also learned, in Science Times, that that "Chilean Sea Bass" I see everywhere on the menu (because it keeps well) has a more common name: the Patagonian Toothfish.

Yum.
The local restaurants now are no longer generally serving chilean see bass (which isn't a bass supposedly). It apparently is rather low in numbers these days. Is this true? The reason I ask is because it's still widely available in stores.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 30, 2003, 08:46 AM

swordfish marinade, eh? hmm, i wonder what kinda headgear one should wear, when preparing such a thing...
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

dav
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 08:49 AM

a bit of a minimalist here, and as such i find a fettucini alfredo devine, but there's no real recipe here, just fresh ingredients - heavy cream, butter, parmasean... small portions with perhaps grilled shrimp.
and i've always felt cooking was more about technique than recipes, and for technique, jacques pepin is excellent.

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 08:58 AM

OOOOOO! Crab Cakes!

OK. Everyone has a recipe. Well. Not EVERYONE. Everyone who makes... uh... crab cakes.

My newest:

1 lb lump crab.
couple of tablespoons of mayo.
finely chopped green onion.
finely chopped red bell pepper.
finely chopped jalepeno (to taste- since I am cooking for my wife and two year old, I tend to remove the seeds, white, cap and tail, roast a bit and use 2/3 of what is left- just enough for a peppery feel)
Well crushed box of Sesame Briton crackers (set aside one cup)
tablespoon of dijon.
Few healthy dashes of Old Bay
Few healthy dashes of white Worcestershire.
One Egg.

Mash it all together. If it is too mooshy, add more crushed crackers. Stop adding once you can form patties with RELATIVE ease. It is never really easy. Dredge these with the rest of the crackers and then (VERY important) let them sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Now, a lot of folks cook these in different ways. Me? I dump about half an inch of olive oil into a cast iron pan and just fry the buggers. Three minutes each side. Very hot oil. Drain.

Sauce:
Into a blender toss-
One well chopped, washed and seeded fresh red bell pepper.
A good handful of roasted red peppers
good dash of cider vinegar
a nice big sprig of fresh dill (or not if you dont have it- you can use dried if you need to)
a generous shaking of freshly milled black pepper and a pinch of sea salt.
Blend the ever loving beejeebus out of it. It should be smooth.

Slop sauce on the plate, toss a crab cake on top.

This is also great second day- using a wheat bulkie roll and some romaine, make a sandwich with the lefover crab cakes- use the sauce as a condiment. Yummers.

edit- forgot the mayo.
( Last edited by maxelson; Jul 30, 2003 at 09:49 AM. )

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
swordfish marinade, eh? hmm, i wonder what kinda headgear one should wear, when preparing such a thing...
I see we have once again mastered the art of [strongbad] Oh! elec-tronic mail[/strongbad]

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 09:04 AM

Mmm. Dav. Technique. True.
My favorite technique, bastardized from the cooking philosophy du Mas:
Best ingredients you can muster, do as little as possible to them. Use imagination. Don't limit yourself to what the directions say. Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 09:22 AM

Here's another fave at my house:

RICE KRISPIES FRIED CHICKEN

4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 small onion, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (or use all orange juice)
1 good chicken, cut into serving pieces, or use 8 to 10 leg pieces (drumsticks and thighs), trimmed of excess fat
4 tablespoons melted butter (use REAL butter, please!)
2 cups Rice Krispies, lightly crushed,

1. In a large bowl, combine cloves, onion, oregano, cumin and juices. Add chicken and toss; let sit while you heat oven, or marinate it, refrigerated, for up to a day. Drain marinade before cooking.

2. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Spread half the butter on a 9-by-12 baking dish. Put Rice Krispies on a plate and roll chicken in them, patting to help crumbs adhere. Carefully transfer to baking dish.

3. Drizzle chicken with remaining butter and bake, rotating pan so pieces brown evenly, until they are browned and cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot.

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2003, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:
Here's another fave at my house:

RICE KRISPIES FRIED CHICKEN

4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 small onion, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (or use all orange juice)
1 good chicken, cut into serving pieces, or use 8 to 10 leg pieces (drumsticks and thighs), trimmed of excess fat
4 tablespoons melted butter (use REAL butter, please!)
2 cups Rice Krispies, lightly crushed,

1. In a large bowl, combine cloves, onion, oregano, cumin and juices. Add chicken and toss; let sit while you heat oven, or marinate it, refrigerated, for up to a day. Drain marinade before cooking.

2. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Spread half the butter on a 9-by-12 baking dish. Put Rice Krispies on a plate and roll chicken in them, patting to help crumbs adhere. Carefully transfer to baking dish.

3. Drizzle chicken with remaining butter and bake, rotating pan so pieces brown evenly, until they are browned and cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot.
DROOL! Oh man... gotta bookmark this thread.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 09:38 AM

my favorite desert:

Blueberry Pudding
Serving Size : 8 (or just me)

2 cups blueberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup butter -- melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3/4 cup boiling water

Place blueberries and lemon juice in an 8x8 inch pan. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and 3/4 cup sugar. Beat in milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla. Spread over berries. Mix 1 cup sugar with cornstarch and sprinkle over batter. Pour boiling water over all. Bake at 350� for 40 - 50 minutes.

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by maxelson:
OOOOOO! Crab Cakes!

OK. Everyone has a recipe. Well. Not EVERYONE. Everyone who makes... uh... crab cakes...
Hey! That was my recipe. Well, almost my recipe - the red bell pepper and the onion and the Worcestershire Sauce and the egg part...

My crab cakes also had a cup of plain bread crumbs, a cup of mayo, some crushed garlic (always looking for a reason to use my garlic press) and some dry mustard. They came out seriously yummy! Also, I used a Vidalia Onion.

Made my own tartar sauce too - just your basic mayo and relish and then I added a little paprika.

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2003, 09:41 AM

*scribbles down frantically*

you guys are gonna be a big help when i start living in a house next semester... no more icky meal plan food for me!

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 30, 2003, 09:48 AM

philosophy du Mas:
...do as little as possible
heh

hey, at least the guy knows how to cook rice properly now

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by roger_ramjet:
Hey! That was my recipe. Well, almost my recipe - the red bell pepper and the onion and the Worcestershire Sauce and the egg part...

My crab cakes also had a cup of plain bread crumbs, a cup of mayo, some crushed garlic (always looking for a reason to use my garlic press) and some dry mustard. They came out seriously yummy! Also, I used a Vidalia Onion.

Made my own tartar sauce too - just your basic mayo and relish and then I added a little paprika.
Well, yeah. I stole yours, added some of mine and dribbled in a bit of someone else's and dammit, it were GOOD. (edited mine- forgot the mayo... and the mustard! shyte!).

Thanks for the inspiration last week. You were talking about it and I realized I had pretty much all the makings. Made it. Was goooood.

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 09:51 AM

Here's a great idea for kebabs. Marinade them in Italian dressing. MAKE YOUR OWN Italian with that idiot-proof mix from Good Seasons. (And for heaven's sake, use olive oil!)

Now, make your kebabs - beef tips, cherry tomatoes, square pieces of onion and bell peppers, etc.

Marinade for 24 hours.

Grill.

Pop open a beer and enjoy.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 09:54 AM

Here's a real winner on football weekends, parties, or for college friends and it's easy, but impressive and delicious:

CRUSTY CHICKEN AIOLI SANDWICH

(For marinade)
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped green onions or sweet onion
1 teaspoon chile or red pepper flakes
1/2 cup olive oil
Juice of one FRESH lemon
4 (4-ounce) chicken breasts

BIG ROUND LOAF OF CRUSTY BREAD
4 slices provolone
Romaine lettuce
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 sweet onion, sliced
FRESH basil leaves
Aioli, recipe follows OR seasoned mayonnaise OR olive oil, salt & pepper

Combine the ginger, garlic, green onions, chile or red pepper flakes, lemon juice and olive oil. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Marinate (preferably for a couple of hours or even overnight) in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Remove the chicken from the marinade and place in a small roasting pan or on a baking sheet. Roast the chicken for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Cut the chicken crosswise into very thin slices or shred. Set aside.

Raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees F.

Slice the loaf horizontally and place on baking sheet with the top half cut-side down and bottom half with cut-side up. Place the provolone slices on bottom half neatly. Cook until the cheese is melted and lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.

Place the sliced chicken on top of the melted cheese. Top with romaine lettuce, basil leaves, tomato, and sliced sweet onion. Spread some of the aioli or seasoned mayonnaise or olive oil on the top half of the roll and place the top crust on top of the sandwich. CUT INTO FOUR BIG WEDGES. Serve.

AIOLI RECIPE

1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped basil
2 egg yolks*
Salt
Freshly ground white pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cups safflower oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice

In a food processor or blender, combine the garlic, basil, egg yolks, salt, pepper, and Dijon mustard and process to combine. With the machine running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream until it is all added and the mixture is emulsified (thickens). Add the lemon juice and check the seasoning and modify to taste.

*Don't use this recipe if you have health problems are afraid of getting salmonella poisoning from raw eggs. Use mayo or olive oil instead.

EDITED TO SAY THAT CRISPY BACON PIECES ARE ALSO GREAT ON THIS SANDWICH.
( Last edited by iWrite; Jul 30, 2003 at 10:11 AM. )

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 10:03 AM

Because of maxelson:

I need to start bringing my recipes to work to share on here...

I get hungry for things like fish at 8 in the morning...

I don't look at cheese the same way I used to...
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 10:15 AM

YOU PROMISED BBQ SAUCE. I do not take said promises lightly. Step up, Montanan.
Don't make me make up some South Boston version for Timo's entertainment.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 10:23 AM

Barbecue sauce:

Any store bought brand.

Add a touch of honey, red pepper flakes, chili powder, Worcestshire sauce, red wine, Coca-Cola, whatever floats your boat.

We add Dale's Seasoning (2 tablespoons) or you could use Worcestshire, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup orange juice, 1 teaspoon dry mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to a good basic commercial barbecue sauce and it's a hit every time.

It's fruity and tangy and has a great flavor.

We also put this sauce on salmon fillets and broil it for 8 minutes and it's a huge hit every single time -- even for people who normally don't like fish.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2003, 10:58 AM

See, this opens up the widely argued question over what is barbecue in the first place.

To those who live near spliffdaddy, assassyn, and myself, BBQ means pork, pig in a pig-cooker (rotisserie smoker), and the sauce is vinegar based.

example 1

1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups prepared mustard
1 quart ketchup
1/2 cup ground pepper
1/2 cup crushed red pepper (I use more for hot)
3 quarts red wine vinegar
2 quarts water
1 quart white wine
1 1/2 cups salt

combine all ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 min

example 2

(North Carolina style)

3 cups apple cider vinegar
3 cups water
1/3 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons paprika (Hungarian is best)
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 cup Worcestershire sauce

Mix all together. Keep in glass jar. Best if allowed to sit for 48
hours before using.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 11:02 AM

Pork in Tel-Aviv?

Oy!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2003, 11:05 AM

Pork in Tel-Aviv?

Oy!

Actually, in Tel-Aviv, if you say "basar levan" (white meat) it only refers to pork, not chicken.

And in North Carolina (where I bide my time in the US currently) this is what BBQ means. Vinegar. The second example. (The first one has a quart of ketchup in it- TRUE BBQ NEVER HAS KETCHUP IN IT.)

I'll post some kosher Tel-Aviv recipes in a little while.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jul 30, 2003, 11:08 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 17, 2004 at 01:43 PM. )

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 11:08 AM

Well, yeah. I stole yours...
Actually, I don't think I ever actually told you my recipe. I just said I was making crab cakes. I chalked up the similarity to that whole "great minds think alike" thing...

hmmm...

Well, great minds think alike about food and sports teams anyway.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jul 30, 2003, 11:12 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 17, 2004 at 01:44 PM. )

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 11:15 AM

I'll post some kosher Tel-Aviv recipes in a little while.

Hey, everytime I go there they serve these little pancake-like flat breads that they wrap around other foods like a wonderful chicken in a sauce...do you know what I'm talking about? You can get them everywhere...

THAT'S the recipe I want!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2003, 11:28 AM

Hey, everytime I go there they serve these little pancake-like flat breads that they wrap around other foods like a wonderful chicken in a sauce...do you know what I'm talking about? You can get them everywhere...

THAT'S the recipe I want!
You're talking about pita bread or mallawach.

dencamp
Senior User
Jul 30, 2003, 11:55 AM

On the bread topic, does anyone have a tested recope for Injera? One of the few things I just can't get right.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 12:01 PM

No, it wasn't pita bread. I've been at homes where they make it. It's like a pancake batter only slightly different. Then they put things in it and rolled it up or folded it. I've had it with a chicken in a sauce most often.

Ring any bells?

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by dencamp:
On the bread topic, does anyone have a tested recope for Injera? One of the few things I just can't get right.
Well. I tried it. I was half successful.
Equal parts Self rising flour and soda water.

Now. The trick as I recall was a VERY hot pan. I used a cast iron at first because of the even heat. Even on my perfectly seasoned pans, it was hard to keep from sticking. I was fine unless I moved it too soon. Then the debris just kept building and causing sticks. The nonstick pan was better, but the heat transfer not as good.

You want the top to be spongy and the bottom to be sorta golden.

JUST got this from a former student:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup teff flour
1 cup water
pinch of salt
peanut or vegetable oil

Dry ingredients in a bowl. slowly mix in water, stir constantly. Avoid lumps.

LIGHTLY coat the pan with peanut oil. Pan must be very hot.
spread a thin layer of batter on pan. about as much as you would for the average omlette. Not as thin as a crepe. Not as thick as a pancake.
( Last edited by maxelson; Jul 30, 2003 at 12:31 PM. )

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 30, 2003, 12:36 PM

i double dares ya

dencamp
Senior User
Jul 30, 2003, 12:48 PM

Well. I tried it. I was half successful.
Equal parts Self rising flour and soda water.

Now. The trick as I recall was a VERY hot pan. I used a cast iron at first because of the even heat. Even on my perfectly seasoned pans, it was hard to keep from sticking. I was fine unless I moved it too soon. Then the debris just kept building and causing sticks. The nonstick pan was better, but the heat transfer not as good.

You want the top to be spongy and the bottom to be sorta golden.

JUST got this from a former student:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup teff flour
1 cup water
pinch of salt
peanut or vegetable oil

Dry ingredients in a bowl. slowly mix in water, stir constantly. Avoid lumps.

LIGHTLY coat the pan with peanut oil. Pan must be very hot.
spread a thin layer of batter on pan. about as much as you would for the average omlette. Not as thin as a crepe. Not as thick as a pancake.
Thanks much. I'll try again this weekend.

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 12:48 PM

Dare? Huh.
Here we go. Except we will call it grilling sauce. And we'll call it West of Boston, because that is where I am at the moment. Keep in mind, I am nowhere near a kitchen and I'm kind of making this up.

Hm.
Cider vinegar.
Brown sugar.
Molasses.
dry Mustard.
Tomato paste.
Dash of water from the Merrimack.
Whiskey. Sour Mash.
Orange juice.
Worcestershire.
Garlic and onion finely minced.
Black pepper.
ground red pepper.

Should we throw in some liquid smoke? Just a hint? Yes. Yes we should. And we will.

Phil. Go make it and tell me how it worked.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2003, 12:58 PM

No, it wasn't pita bread. I've been at homes where they make it. It's like a pancake batter only slightly different. Then they put things in it and rolled it up or folded it. I've had it with a chicken in a sauce most often.

Ring any bells?
this is crepes. Ashkenazi style.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 01:36 PM

Yeah, it was like crepes!

It was great.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 30, 2003, 02:01 PM

Phil. Go make it and tell me how it worked.
okay, but if i can't get all the ingredients, it'll have to be 'zilla style

Cider - i'm drinking that
Brown Sugar - yeah, i'll play some Stones
Molasses - DELETED
dry Mustard - *sniff*
Tomato paste - DELETED
Dash of water from the Merrimack - add Jamesons
Whiskey. Sour Mash - whole bottle? sure thing, max
Orange juice - i'm gonna have to add Stolichnaya to that
Worcestershire - Bloody Mary, comin' right up (i'll use the veggie Worc' that i got, with no friggin' fish in it)
Garlic and onion finely minced - okay, i gotta eat something
Black pepper - *sniff*
ground red pepper - swapped for a haba�ero

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 02:25 PM

I'm sorry. I will not take responsibility for the habanero.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 30, 2003, 02:26 PM

(wuss)

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 02:32 PM

FWIW I am still not entertained.

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 02:39 PM

Yes you are.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 30, 2003, 02:45 PM

max, throw this at the cad

(gee, considering the date, it still looks fresh!)

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 02:47 PM

Yes you are.
no...I'm...not...I'm...gonna...get

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jul 30, 2003, 02:49 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 17, 2004 at 01:54 PM. )

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Timo:
no...I'm...not...I'm...gonna...get
get... what...constipated? here... try some of this grilling sauce. That oughta loosen you up...

::ducks::

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 03:19 PM

Anyone have a good batter for fried fish or clams?

Like a good beer batter?

I need one -- there must be someone here (vmarks) who has one?

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2003, 03:47 PM

Beer Batter.

2 egg yolks
2 tbsp olive oil
few dashes of worcestershire
salt
3/4 cup beer
3/4 cup flour
a few healthy pinches of Old Bay

Forum Links
Forum Rules