Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Toast 6 Is Nice

Toast 6 Is Nice
bacchus
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2003, 05:38 PM

very nice in fact...take a look.

main window

about

anywhere

any images you folks would like to see?
http://www.repair-xp.com
-----------------------------
If you're looking for information on the best windows xp repair tools , check out www.repair-xp.com

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2003, 05:44 PM

Improved from old one, yes, but it is still UGLY and failed to follow Apple's HIG again.

They need to know what K.I.S.S. mean.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2003, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Improved from old one, yes, but it is still UGLY and failed to follow Apple's HIG again.

They need to know what K.I.S.S. mean.
Yeah, the custom drawers look like ass to me.

-Owl

bmedina
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 07:28 PM

Except for the terrible, non-standard interface, it's not a bad program. The burner sharing feature is almost worth the price alone for people with many computers and few burners.

cblueorg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2003, 08:07 PM

This is a little miracle: an application that breaks ANY guideline on HI just for the sake of it, without being forced to it by being cross-platform or BCP.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 08:47 PM

Actually, Toast 5 looked better to me... the burn button is uglier than ever
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2003, 08:55 PM

Where does it break any guidelines? It looks quite nice if you ask me.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 31, 2003, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Where does it break any guidelines? It looks quite nice if you ask me.
For one it doesn't use the Extras.rsrc

But hey Apple breaks that one too.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2003, 10:53 PM

Where does it break any guidelines?
You're kidding me, right?

Go and give this link a read. You'll realize that they broke almost every guidelines there. I thought you should know this as you claimed to be a developer.

Consistency is the key and they've shown that they doesn't care. That deserve a

App like Toast made Dreamweaver look better.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 31, 2003, 11:35 PM

At least it will be easier to hack out the stripes.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2003, 11:42 PM

You're kidding me, right?

Go and give this link a read.
Thanks, I'm aware of that document. That doesn't answer the question though. Where does it break these guidelines?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 31, 2003, 11:47 PM

It uses it's own custom inconsistent (with the rest of OS X) GUI

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2003, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
It uses it's own custom inconsistent (with the rest of OS X) GUI
Are you sure you're not talking about Real One Player maybe?

As far as I can tell from the screenshots it uses standard OS X windows, and controls. The only two non standard things are one button and a row of tabs. For an app that essentially only does one thing, it is appropriate to have one big button for this action. Like iTunes has a big play button for example. The button has an Aqua look; it is not inconsistent with the OS X GUI. The tabs add easy to recognize icons, so they are an improvement over the use of the standard tabs control in this context, that justifies its use. They look similar to the icon rows in OS X preferences windows just much nicer.

Besides that it look pretty standard from the screenshots.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 12:35 AM

hmmm the registration info on the about box doesn't look too legal, does it ?
(but then again i'm sure you paid for it)

on a second look .. that kinda looks like panther also.

:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2003, 12:36 AM

Thanks, I'm aware of that document. That doesn't answer the question though. Where does it break these guidelines?
Here are some of the general considerations:
  • Do you use standard Aqua controls provided by the system, instead of inventing custom ones? Do you avoid assigning new behaviors to existing interface elements?
  • Does the application have the Mac OS X �feel,� including window minimization, live scrolling, live window dragging, and sheets?
  • If a metaphor is being used, is it suitable for the application? Does the metaphor match a �real� visual and behavioral representation?
  • Is the user always able to find an object or action on the screen? In other words, does your interface follow the see-and-point principle of design?
  • Do document printouts exactly replicate what the user sees on the screen? Do movies, sounds, and other types of data reproduce faithfully regardless of what medium they�re in? In other words, is the application WYSIWYG?
  • Is your application forgiving and explorable by supporting Undo? Are there warnings about risky actions? Are users allowed to back away gracefully from risky territory?
  • If an operation can be interrupted, do you provide a Cancel or Stop button? Can Escape or Command-period be used to cancel or stop these operations?
  • Does the application feel stable?
  • Do you respect all of the accessibility features in Mac OS X, such as keyboard navigation and focus?
  • Have you made a clear, consistent distinction between basic and advanced features?
  • If your application has modes, is there a clear visual indication of the current mode? Does the visual indication of the mode appear near the object most affected by the mode? Are there enough landmarks to remind the user what area of the application he or she is in? For example, many graphics applications change the pointer to an eraser in erase mode.
  • Is each mode absolutely necessary? Do the modes within the application properly track the user�s own modes? Do users consistently avoid the kind of errors caused by the program being in a mode other than what the user wants or expects? Making a mode visually apparent is no guarantee that the user will track it: Test the application on users and find out what sorts of mistakes they are making. If the errors are caused by modes, find ways to communicate the modes more clearly, or eliminate them.
  • Are the widest possible range of user activities available at any time? The user should spend most of his or her time being able to interact with the application�not waiting for it to complete a process.
  • Does your application always use the file�s display name when the filename is visible to users, except in expanded help tags?
  • Can a user install your application by dragging a single file or folder? Did you provide an application bundle so that users can manipulate only certain files? Are you using the Mac OS X interface to handle plug-ins?
  • Does your application put application support files�user preference settings, plug-ins, databases, and so on�in the user�s Library folder? Does it avoid putting files in the Documents folder (except for user-created files)?
  • Does the application have the overall Mac OS X �look,� including high-quality Aqua-style icons, controls, anti-aliased text, windows, and menus?
  • Do windows, dialogs, and palettes look �clean� and free from clutter?
  • Is the information in windows organized so the most important information can be read first?
  • Do you use the new standard alert functions for displaying alerts?
  • Do you display your application icon in all dialogs? Do you also show the caution icon in potentially data-damaging alerts?
  • Does the alert have an informative title and text that not only tell the user what is wrong, but also offer suggestions as to what to do to correct it? The best alert messages answer the following questions: What happened? Why did it happen? What can I do about it?
  • Are all your alerts necessary? You can prevent many user errors with good or preventative interface design. For example, if the application cannot handle an 80-character filename, don�t display an 80-character field in which to enter it.

bacchus  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2003, 01:41 AM

it is panther in fact, and it seems to work just fine.
http://www.repair-xp.com
-----------------------------
If you're looking for information on the best windows xp repair tools , check out www.repair-xp.com

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2003, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by Sarc:
hmmm the registration info on the about box doesn't look too legal, does it ?
(but then again i'm sure you paid for it)
What are you? A Cop?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2003, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
What are you? A Cop?
Or a 'Serial' Killer

Sarc
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 01:49 AM

no, I'm the Legal-Man.
well funded by the US Gov. the RIAA and Hollywood movie studios I fight Internet piracy.
/sarcasm

just a joke Svered Hand ... just a joke.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Moonray
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 05:28 AM

Yup I see, it uses no sliders so it's bad GUI

But the more important question is to me: where is the
  • Allow overburn
checkbox - in the next full priced upgrade?

-

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by Moonray:

But the more important question is to me: where is the
  • Allow overburn
checkbox - in the next full priced upgrade?
In FireStarter here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19058

Or in MissingMediaBurner here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16799

Oh yeah, they're free.
( Last edited by [APi]TheMan; Sep 1, 2003 at 07:51 AM. )
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2003, 07:42 AM

wow... that ToastAnywhere seems like a really cool feature! we have a network of macs here with only 3 machines actually having a cd-writer, so this seems almost like a godsend...
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 1, 2003, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg:
wow... that ToastAnywhere seems like a really cool feature! we have a network of macs here with only 3 machines actually having a cd-writer, so this seems almost like a godsend...
i was thinking likewise, on a smaller scale. looks good to me
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Moonray:
http://www.vastmediaempire.com/images/main_window.jpg

Look at the curve slider right next to the big red button.

If it is not a slider then they didn't made it clear to user of what it is.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2003, 11:36 AM

I don't see what the big deal is. I mean that is obviously a progress bar and this GUI is a dream compared to many other apps out there.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Synotic
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 11:38 AM

It's a gauge that shows how much room there is in the CD or DVD. It becomes clear once you start putting files in. It also says in a tooltip "Estimates space used on disc being created".

ZackS
Banned
Sep 1, 2003, 12:34 PM

Highlights from my review in another thread:

The new UI is a bloated, hard to navigate nightmare. A huge step back from 5. Did they really need the frigging glossy arch that dynamically draws its self? OVERKILL. ... When burning data CDs it's much less clear on which format exactly is going to be burnt. If you set up a custom job in the advanced tab and decide to just go with the basic settings, you need to undo every change you made and get it back to options supported by basic mode to switch back the tab. Very annoying. <On top of that,> the entire window ... redraw<s> when it was just being moved. Unacceptable.

<Two of the 4 new features found in the Toast application its self are> disc encryption and compression, both of which worked well (though you'll find better compression using Stuffit Deluxe). ... Video is where Toast 6 shines. It now allows burning of VCDs, SVCDs and simple DVDs. It even creates nifty looking menus on the fly and comes with all the necessary MPEG and MPEG2 encoders to convert Quicktime content. The SVCD I made worked well in my Apex DVD player. I can see myself using this feature a lot in the future.

I really dislike this new layout <of the burn dialog> as it removes the "Burn Session" option and places it under the advanced tab as the checkbox "Close Disc". This change in location and function will easily confuse basic users familiar with multisession burning.

Notoriously missing is the ever important overburning feature I was hoping Roxio would throw in. Maybe next expensive major release.
Toast 6 is a solid product that does what it says but there's simply not enough to justify the upgrade. ... Unless I'm making an SVCD, I think I'll stick with Toast 5 too.

OVERALL SCORE: 4.5 (out of 10)
Summary: Toast 6 has an appalling GUI but the new Video features are cool. An unsatisfactory upgrade.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2003, 01:58 AM

I'm curious, as I don't have 2 macs, or toast 6 even...how does Toast Anywhere work ? I assume you have to have a copy of toast on both machines, and it detects the other burner over the network ? What is the difference between copying the files over the network to the other machine then burning? Wouldn't there be a problem with congestion, or the other machine not being fast enough to transfer the data to toast a.k.a buffer underrun (sp)? I think it could be a neat feature, but it just seems easier to copy the data over the network, since you have to go to the machine to put a blank cd in the drive anyway...As mentioned before I love the registered to "Toast Deluxe" guess the new serial surfers was updated..

-cS
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2003, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
I'm curious, as I don't have 2 macs, or toast 6 even...how does Toast Anywhere work ? I assume you have to have a copy of toast on both machines, and it detects the other burner over the network ? What is the difference between copying the files over the network to the other machine then burning? Wouldn't there be a problem with congestion, or the other machine not being fast enough to transfer the data to toast a.k.a buffer underrun (sp)? I think it could be a neat feature, but it just seems easier to copy the data over the network, since you have to go to the machine to put a blank cd in the drive anyway...As mentioned before I love the registered to "Toast Deluxe" guess the new serial surfers was updated..

-cS
Yes, you must have Toast on both machines. And all it does is transfer the data to the host machine (the one with the burner), presumably in a disk image format. Then once data is copied, it burns from host computer. It's kinda neat, and makes it simpler for my girlfriend to burn things from her iBook across the room from my machine (with the burner).

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2003, 02:21 AM

Ok I just got Toast 6. You guys are right, the interface is messed up. It took a step back in some ways for sure.

Ah well, it is still awesome though.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

absmiths
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
Yes, you must have Toast on both machines. And all it does is transfer the data to the host machine (the one with the burner), presumably in a disk image format. Then once data is copied, it burns from host computer. It's kinda neat, and makes it simpler for my girlfriend to burn things from her iBook across the room from my machine (with the burner).
More importantly - does it require a separate license for each machine? There should definitely be an option to install a remote-only version for simplicity without extra licenses.

madcran
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
More importantly - does it require a separate license for each machine? There should definitely be an option to install a remote-only version for simplicity without extra licenses.
No it doesn't. I installed it on two machines and it has no licence dupication detection like Microsoft Office does.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 20, 2003, 04:38 PM

I am just glad it didn't use it's own "stripes"

So I don't have to hack them out.

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2003, 06:05 PM

has anyone mentioned here yet that the Toast 6 UI seems to be very very slow?

My computer isn't the fastest machine around, granted, but it definitely isn't too slow that it cannot run Mac OS X apps... 733 G4, and the toast 6 window is painfully slow to drag around my screen while everything else is pretty much liquid smooth.

Toast 5 was much smoother on my computer in that respect. Any comments on that?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2003, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by DaedalusDX:
has anyone mentioned here yet that the Toast 6 UI seems to be very very slow?

My computer isn't the fastest machine around, granted, but it definitely isn't too slow that it cannot run Mac OS X apps... 733 G4, and the toast 6 window is painfully slow to drag around my screen while everything else is pretty much liquid smooth.

Toast 5 was much smoother on my computer in that respect. Any comments on that?
Yes, dragging the window on a Dual 1.25 is slow also.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

gizmovision
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2003, 09:14 PM

I think the drawer should open on the right side or atleast have an option to open on that side if the main window when it is close to the edge of the left side of the screen instead of pushing the main screen over to make room. I also found that the drawer ends up on top of the main window sometimes when switching back and forth between apps and when coming out of a window shade [ I don't know if that is a window shade problem or not...]
I also miss the feature of just making a vcd without haveing to reencode everything for that format. I would figure if I d/l a VCD formatted file( or made a DVD or S/VCD) I could just burn-it outright. Maybe I didn't find that operation yet?

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2003, 09:28 PM

So far I haven't read much that would make up upgrade from 5 to 6. I am not sure what is eating up so much CPU power but maybe that will improve.
But I do have a question about disc encryption.
How well does it work? And can those CDs only be unlocked on Macs running Toast 6?

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by madcran:
No it doesn't. I installed it on two machines and it has no licence dupication detection like Microsoft Office does.
Just 'cuz it installed and runs doesn't prove the license was followed.... I asked the same question when the Roxio rep was on Your Mac Life a few weeks ago. He acknowledged that per the license agreement, you need >1 license to make use of network burning, but if you recycled the same serial, they wouldn't know about it.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

cynikal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2003, 02:07 AM

speaking of thaat 'how much space is left on the disk' comment, does anyone know of a program that will identify where physically (i guess how far from the center) any given file/data is? I'm just curious because it seems certain files are read faster than others. this probably is due to the fact that tangental speed is faster on the outside than the inside. but where the file is would be nice to know in hopes of figuring out how the burning app decided where to put the data.

Lyra
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2003, 06:29 AM

TOAST 6 sucks ass!!!

It is WAAAAAAAAAAAY Too heavy and it does terrible copies of DVDs. Forget it, I am sticking with the 5.X till they get an update or I want my money back!!!

Very slow response time on everything... (Yes I have 1GB of ram)

This thing should run like a jaguar on well jaguar with an 800MhzG4!
�For I gazed into the future, far as human eyes could see,
saw the vision of the
world , and all the wonders that would be.�

Blinger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Langdon:
So far I haven't read much that would make up upgrade from 5 to 6. I am not sure what is eating up so much CPU power but maybe that will improve.
How well does it work? And can those CDs only be unlocked on Macs running Toast 6?

Encrypted discs can be decrypted by putting them onto ANY Mac running Mac OS X. The decryption software is built into Mac OS X... you do not need Toast 6 or any special software installed on the target system.

See the FAQ under the Toast 6 product pages at Roxio's web site.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2003, 11:27 AM

Toast 5 was already a big step backwards from 4 when it comes to making Hybrid discs, and 6 doesn't make that any better.

Having the drawer open (hardwired to one side is BAD, Roxio) will kill your drag performance. If you don't need it open, close it!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2003, 11:58 AM

Can someone tell me what, if anything, I'm doing wrong? I've got a 619.8 MB MPEG2 file that I'm trying to burn as an SVCD. If I ask Toast to do this, it complains that it needs 776 MB, and only 700-something are available on the CD I inserted.

I turned off the menu feature, so that's not it. This file is intended to be burned as an SVCD, so I don't get what's going on.

[Edit: If it's relevant, the file is actually meant to be an XSVCD, but I'm not sure what the difference is. Its name just has .XSVCD.mpg at the end.]
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

madra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2003, 12:20 PM

...but it is still UGLY and failed to follow Apple's HIG again.
i think apple lost the right to lecture anyone else on interface design when, with OSX, they introduced the concepts of "icon as moving target" [finder column view] and "one app elbowing its way in front of another" [ie. the way background apps are allowed to throw alerts and dialogues between you and the foreground app]

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2003, 01:18 PM

I like toast 6. I think its interface sucks, but it it is a little better than toast 5. As far as human interface guidelines goes, Toast follows them pretty good in its sheets and drawers (and preferences), but not its main window.
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2003, 02:58 PM

the icons on the interface look a bit xp'y with the green and all and the whole thing is generally uglier than 5

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2003, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
the icons on the interface look a bit xp'y with the green and all and the whole thing is generally uglier than 5
Agreed with the xp thing. In fact, I think the entire window behaves like it is on win xp because all the icons change when you mouse over!
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Langdon:
It just makes an encrypted disk image like disk copy and burns that to the disk. When you put the disk in you see the image, click it it then mounts another volume on the desktop. you don't need toast, just disk copy. Not really worth the trouble though.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Devin Lane:
Agreed with the xp thing. In fact, I think the entire window behaves like it is on win xp because all the icons change when you mouse over!
yeah it all looks a bit too much like xp's cartoony plastic, i mean i can see how they got to is seen as panther is less classy and glassy than jag but i think they missed the panther look and kinda ended up something that wouldnt look out of place on windows or linux, would have rather had just 5's interface without the stripes and with a regular osx progress bar at the bottom, but a non-animated one perhaps

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2003, 08:57 PM

I ordered mine online last Thursday, I should be it on Thursday in the mail. Unless UPS will be late that day.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules