Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > new cell phone time

new cell phone time
videian28
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 02:10 PM

looking to get a nice bluetooth phone to go with my new PB.

t-mobile has the best phones but I have their service now and thier coverage int he DC area is absoloutly crap....it drives me insane..

phone suggestions? service ideas for most data transfer?

what other phones out there besides the Sony Erissons are decent?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 10, 2003, 02:17 PM

sucks, there should be more bluetooth phones out there.

I currently have sprint, and they have only one bluetooth phone.. and it's not even released yet. - www.phonescoop.com

I use a 19 dollar data cable to connect my phone to my computer (or friend's laptops) and surf at around 15k/sec. with my Sanyo 8100 phone thru sprint. Currently, I've been doing all my surfing this way and it's still falling under my standard monthly phone bill, with no extra fees for internet browsing - (my plan includes unlimited internet, but they mean when browsing from the phone.

free!

meh, but I want bluetooth.
ice

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 02:30 PM

T-mobile's T-zones($9.99 amonth) can be configured to work w/ your powerbook...you are limited though to Websurfing and email.

If you want a full blown data solution T-Mobile also offers for $30 i believe ( can't remember, isn't that sad? haha i have it and i forget) for unlimited data, AIM, email, IRC, whatever! and its pretty fast too!

Also, look for T-Mobile to have afew new towers up in the DC/Baltimore area before the end of the year, that should also help your reception problems ;-)

if you can afford it, import the new Z600 they are sweeeeeet phones ;-) and i hear the reception is alot better on them as well. Enjoy

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 03:25 PM

anyone have any expierence with the nokia 3650's?

despite the round keyboard they pretty good?

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 03:33 PM

Screw that...go to amazon.com and get the Sony Ericsson T610 (the number one phone in Japan right now according to CNET) for FREE with a free bluetooth headset. Get T-Mobile because they have the best plans out there right now and you can get unlimited GPRS through your T610 to your Powerbook for free now I think. I'm on my T610 right now connected to GPRS and my Powerbook. Salling Clicker works great with it, I use it to control my Keynote presentations, iTunes, and DVD Player all the time. It has a great screen, great ringtones, syncs perfectly with iSync, has bluetooth, and best of all...its FREE.
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by videian28:

what other phones out there besides the Sony Erissons are decent?
The sony's have great battery life, the Nokia's do not.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2003, 03:49 PM

Sanyo 8100, 5400, or 5500.

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 04:25 PM

film, I agree with all of that, I am just so fed up with t-mobile coverage

sad bucause they indeed do have the best packages/phones...however thats probably due to their crap coverage

Cellery
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 05:03 PM

I just purchased a Sony Ericsson T616 from Amazon, and it was -$150. Not a typo, after promos you come out up $150, plus you get a free Bluetooth headset! It works fantastic with my PowerBook and the Bluetooth implementation is much better than the Nokias I tried. The best thing is that the coverage is awesome and I haven't had any dropped or scratchy calls since switching from T-Mobile.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2003, 11:37 PM

"Sony Ericsson T610 (the number one phone in Japan right now"
slightly impossible seen as japan is on a totally different system to us, they use docomo i think its called and sonys phone range doesnt include the t610 over there. Your thiknnig of cnet china i believe.
I'm going for the Z600 because i find the t610 kinda ugly and boring

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by sushiism:
"Sony Ericsson T610 (the number one phone in Japan right now"
slightly impossible seen as japan is on a totally different system to us, they use docomo i think its called and sonys phone range doesnt include the t610 over there. Your thiknnig of cnet china i believe.
I'm going for the Z600 because i find the t610 kinda ugly and boring
According to CNETAsia two weeks ago, the T610 is the number one phone in Asia, don't remember if it was Japan or Asia...
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

todrain
Senior User
Dec 11, 2003, 01:03 AM

After using a 1998 StarTac for the last 5 years, I love the T610! yeah, it's not the most exiciting phone out there, but using bluetooth with it and my PowerBook is awesome!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2003, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by Cellery:
I just purchased a Sony Ericsson T616 from Amazon, and it was -$150. Not a typo, after promos you come out up $150, plus you get a free Bluetooth headset! It works fantastic with my PowerBook and the Bluetooth implementation is much better than the Nokias I tried. The best thing is that the coverage is awesome and I haven't had any dropped or scratchy calls since switching from T-Mobile.
Wait a minute... Even after signing up for a plan ($36 set up fee), you get the difference back in cash??

Cellery
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
Wait a minute... Even after signing up for a plan ($36 set up fee), you get the difference back in cash??
The $36 activation/new service fee is waived with a 2-year contract, so you pay $50 up front for the phone and get $200 back in rebates.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2003, 09:04 AM

"According to CNETAsia two weeks ago, the T610 is the number one phone in Asia, don't remember if it was Japan or Asia.."
I'll be asia then , alas japan has its own system so anything cool over there ever leaves there but luckily the style of phones and stuff over there is slowly comnig over here with SE Z600 and sharp and such so hurrah

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 11:55 AM

I am hating the fact that tmobile might keep me

still cannot find a better deal

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2003, 02:30 PM

The $36 activation/new service fee is waived with a 2-year contract, so you pay $50 up front for the phone and get $200 back in rebates.
That's freakin amazing! How can they do that? I don't think I can pass this up. I wonder if I can do it, even though I am currently an AT&T customer? My current contract runs out in Jan.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2003, 06:56 PM

The price I am seeing for T-Mobile on Amazon right now is $99. That's down from $149 yesterday, but it's not $49.

AT&T has it for $49 so you get $150 back, but AT&T has no unlimited data plan (astoundingly).

I am thinking of biting the cancellation fee from Sprint since I can make most of it back with the rebates from T-Mobile, but what is the coverage like in the New York and Pittsburgh areas? (I'm moving to New York next year).

CC

Arty50
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 07:29 PM

Both the V500 and V600 should be here soon. The V500 has been released already and the V600 is supposed to get released by AT&T on the 19th. The only difference between the two (other than slight cosmetic differences) is the V600 has video playback.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 08:36 PM

anyone have any expierence with the nokia 3650's?

despite the round keyboard they pretty good?
i have a 3650. i like it.

why? bluetooth (ok, a given on new phones, but the isync support is all there), a decent camera and video, which is amazing just by its mere presence. the cool blue backlighting . a fully workable pop/imap mail client built in. opera for symbian 6 available, which works despite an aggravating tendency to run out of memory. decent games available. yup, it's not shabby at all.

and best of all, it has good reception: after suffering through sprintpcs with a samsung 6100 in boston for years, which admittedly was not the ideal phone for reception, t-mobile and my nokia 3650 is positively wonderful. out in the boonies where my parents live in oregon there is simply no coverage, but i've found that in most east coast cities coverage is decent. but then again, you're the one who lived with t-mobile's coverage in your area. the 3650 is rated as having good reception by howardchui.com, for what that's worth...

here's a friend playing with my phone, for a visual of its size/bulk:

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Dec 12, 2003, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:

here's a friend playing with my phone, for a visual of its size/bulk:
Which one is it? The one in her right or left hand?

"Hello, what have we here?

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2003, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
Which one is it? The one in her right or left hand?
har har, here's an unambiguous pic

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2003, 11:22 AM

I played with that phone last night in the store. It has to have just about the worst keyboard and joystick (whatever you call that round thing) on the planet. I don't just mean because it is round and completely unnatural to use. I mean because it is flimsy plastic with no nice CLICK feedback. No wonder your friends is concentrating so hard in that pict.

The thing is also a beast sizewise compared to just about anything else on the market. The phone, not your friend

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2003, 01:37 PM

I agree. The 3650 has a nice feature set, and it takes better pictures than most camera phones, but it is too big for my taste, and the circular keys are a joke.

The nav-pad is also awkward and the plastic feels flimsy. But that also makes it really light compared to phones like the P900 and Treo 600.

The T610 gets my vote, unless you can afford a real smartphone like the coming-in-January P900.

CIA
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2003, 02:18 PM

[Deleted Post]

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2003, 04:10 PM

i agree that it could be smaller, and that its light (er, "not very dense"?) feel is somewhat annoying. but it still fits in the pocket of _my_ jeans, and one gets used to the circular keyboard layout. so, to the original poster, try one out, as it seems to breed contention

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2003, 04:16 PM

I could deal with the size and keypad of the Nokia, but I couldn't deal with the fact that my brand-new phones with the latest firmware kept dying a horrible death. I gave up on it after 3 replacements. Pity because Symbian really is a lovely OS.

off/lang
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2003, 07:59 PM

I am hating the fact that tmobile might keep me

still cannot find a better deal
I have t-mobile in DC, and I really don't find the service horrible. It is better in other cities I've visited, but it is totally usable here.

(I'm on the GW campus).

Also, I've found their customer service to be among the nicest, most helpful people I've encountered.

Do you have any bad experiences you'd like to share?
dearinter.net consensus life coaching.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Dec 12, 2003, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:
I agree. The 3650 has a nice feature set, and it takes better pictures than most camera phones, but it is too big for my taste, and the circular keys are a joke.
I lot of people complained about the circular keys, and now Nokia decided to make Nokia 3660. Don't know if it is available in US already or not.

The nav-pad is also awkward and the plastic feels flimsy. But that also makes it really light compared to phones like the P900 and Treo 600.

The T610 gets my vote, unless you can afford a real smartphone like the coming-in-January P900.
I would say try Sony Ericsson Z600. It's like T610 except it's in clamshell format (former loyal StarTac users: this is an excellent replacement phones for you ).

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 02:53 PM

for instance... I live in fredericksburg, drive to Ft Belvoir for work every day (44 miles each way) via I-95

now probably 1/2 million people also do this trip every day as well, you would think that this would be a well covered area...I got dropped over 5 times before I finally gave up a few days ago...

going inside somewhere? forget it..

typical all over the area I have expierenced

arnette
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2003, 05:20 PM

I'm using a Nokia 6590 right now, but my next phone will probably be the Sony Ericsson t630, the upgrade to the current 610/616.

I really like Nokia's menu system but they don't look like they're going to have any particularly sharp phones coming out soon and I've heard good things with the t616 on ATT's service (minus the screen in sunlight and small memory..which is supposed to be fixed with the 630).

Hope all those model numbers aren't too confusing. Or I'd gladly take an Apple smartphone. Oh, to dream the dream....
iBook 12" 900Mhz

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 10:46 PM

I got a Z600 off ebay a few months ago. It is excellent. Expensive, but feels like it too. I paid the price to have an unlocked phone, but for me, it is worth it. The cons with the Z600 is the thickness when closed....VERY thick.

The T610 is actually much nicer in person that in the photos. My girlfriend just got one with the T Mobile plan I have, minutes plus the $20 per month unlimited data plan. The cons with the T610 (according to what I have read in reviews) are screen brightness and reception. Otherwise it has the same features and camera as the Z600.

My girlfriend got the T610 with rebates to the point where they paid her to get the phone. Good deal, if you like the phone! I guess the only problem would be that you are getting a locked phone that you must unlock if you ever switch carriers.

You should also check out the new T630, which appears to be the successor to the T610/616 model. Like the Z600, you will have to get it on eBay or an online store, since T Mobile and the other GSM carriers probably won't carry it for several months.

Good sites to compare phones....

www.phonescoop.com

www.mobileburn.com

www.infosyncworld.com
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

amishp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by off/lang:
I have t-mobile in DC, and I really don't find the service horrible. It is better in other cities I've visited, but it is totally usable here.

(I'm on the GW campus).

Also, I've found their customer service to be among the nicest, most helpful people I've encountered.

im also at the GW campus. do you get signal in any of the buildings? I dont get a signal at the hall of gov or marvin center.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by arnette:
I really like Nokia's menu system but they don't look like they're going to have any particularly sharp phones coming out soon
Have you seen the upcoming 6230? It should be out around the same time the T630 hits mainstream. It looks really, really nice. I love my T610 but I'm definately going to check this model out. My biggest beef with the T610 is the limited memory.

Of course, the T650 is rumored to have a 1.3 MP camera, Memory Stick duo, EDGE, etc. but it is yet to be announced by Sony.

Another cool phone in the pipeline is the Symbian-based Sendo X, although it may not make it states-side.

The ultimate phone would have to be the P900, hands down. *drool* If only it didn't cost nearly a grand (!)

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 01:35 AM

Honorable mention for the Nokia 6820; it's the updated version of the 6800 with the flip keyboard. It's been scaled down into a very compact little phone, has a built-in camera with video recording, an FM Radio, speakerphone, EDGE, and Bluetooth. It's hitting the market right now. Good for SMS freaks; sure beats the heck out of T9/iTap!

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2003, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
Honorable mention for the Nokia 6820; it's the updated version of the 6800 with the flip keyboard. It's been scaled down into a very compact little phone, has a built-in camera with video recording, an FM Radio, speakerphone, EDGE, and Bluetooth. It's hitting the market right now. Good for SMS freaks; sure beats the heck out of T9/iTap!
The old model is reviewed to have the worst damn software on the planet. Hope they updated it for the new one as the design is cool.

tyson.r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 04:47 AM

nice saddle

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 05:20 AM

The old model is reviewed to have the worst damn software on the planet. Hope they updated it for the new one as the design is cool.
Yeah, I read a review of it from a European site that said all the software problems have been resolved, and the features beefed up. For instance, the e-mail client is much more powerful now.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2003, 02:00 PM

Of course, the T650 is rumored to have a 1.3 MP camera, Memory Stick duo, EDGE, etc. but it is yet to be announced by Sony.
Any pictures or more info on the t650?

arnette
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 04:11 PM

Have you seen the upcoming 6230? It should be out around the same time the T630 hits mainstream. It looks really, really nice.
I have seen that one and you're right, it does look nice. Don't know when it'll be out, though. Probably 6-8mos. I imagine so I expect the SE T630 out sooner. When I picked up my Nokia 5100 from ebay when they were released overseas I was really excited... that was about 6 months ago and I've STILL yet to see them over here in the States.

We'll see... I'd love to have expandable memory but I haven't heard about a Sony T650 until you said something. Sounds like just somebody's chalkboard drawing for right now though. Who knows what will come along before then.

But my point: Nokia 6230 (with video recording!) and Sony Ericsson T630 are on my radar for sure.

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 06:37 PM

well, just got the t616 through ATT, got a super deal, phone for free (was not supposed to be) and 15% off my bill every month (military affiliation) going to add my wife to the plan in a few months and upgrade to whatever else is better and give this to her

anyone have expierence using mobile internet with att? will not be using it much, probably going to stick with the lowest data plan now just for the capability to use yahoo messenger..

arnette
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 12:47 AM

anyone have expierence using mobile internet with att? will not be using it much, probably going to stick with the lowest data plan now just for the capability to use yahoo messenger..

I've only surfed a couple of times, but my impression was that it's just not worth it. I've been travelling and checked in for weather reports and once I tried looking up traffic information. In my opinion, it's a fun novelty but unless you're a tech diehard it's money that's better spent elsewhere.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 12:55 AM

Any pictures or more info on the t650?
No, but Sony Ericsson tends to let things leak, so it shouldn't be too long. Remember the P900?

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 10:34 AM

can anyone point me in some good directions for themes and downloads (that I don't have to pay for preferably)'

damn nice phone, just not enough time to play with it yet.. I did sync it via bluetooth with 0 problems at all

wondering how to set it up to be my internet connection when on the road...have never done this before

arnette
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 11:35 AM

I just recently discovered more about the Sendo X. That looks like a very nice phone indeed. I suppose my choice will come down to which phone ATT decides to support.
iBook 12" 900Mhz

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 12:49 PM

I'm waiting for the Sony Ericsson Z600 to hit the States.

MobileBurn gave it a review, and called it "damn near perfect" in the title.

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=492

Basically, its a T616 with a better screen in a flip phone shape.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by DaedalusDX:
I'm waiting for the Sony Ericsson Z600 to hit the States.

MobileBurn gave it a review, and called it "damn near perfect" in the title.

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=492

Basically, its a T616 with a better screen in a flip phone shape.
The battery life isn't that great from what I see though. The much older t68i and t616 have better battery life.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
The battery life isn't that great from what I see though. The much older t68i and t616 have better battery life.
The T68i had great battery life, but I think the T610 and Z600 are about the same -- just OK. My T610 will last about 4 days without Bluetooth and no WAP usage with light calling, but with Salling Clicker always connected when I'm in my room and heavy WAP usage it's dead by the end of 2 days.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2003, 12:41 AM

I'm waiting for the T630 to be released in the US. I was going to get a T616 but the keypad is too damn small. Here are some pics of a T630 and a T610 side by side.

http://www.vestkant.no/~skjalg/T630/

Notice how much bigger the T630 keypad is.
That flip up phone shown in the first two pics is a Sony Ericsson Z200 . I would buy that phone in a heartbeat if it had Bluetooth.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Dec 20, 2003, 07:59 AM

The T68i had great battery life, but I think the T610 and Z600 are about the same -- just OK. My T610 will last about 4 days without Bluetooth and no WAP usage with light calling, but with Salling Clicker always connected when I'm in my room and heavy WAP usage it's dead by the end of 2 days.
My Z600 had just over 6 days of standby time (without bluetooth on). I think Z600 has a better battery standby than T610 because when you close the clamshell the internal colour LCD is turned off, and only the external mono LCD is only during standby.

Forum Links
Forum Rules