Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Sony Ericsson Z600....Wow!

Sony Ericsson Z600....Wow!
Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 10:29 AM

I just got my Z600 and....

Wow!

Paid a pretty penny for it on eBay but so far it is worth every one.

Very nice construction and feel. Feels expensive and high-quality, unlike the T610 and T68 which feel cheap.

Great screen. Nice menu system (same as T610, 616, and upcoming 630 I think).

Sound quality is the best of the SEs that I have tried.

Nice buttons....big and well-placed, and a great bluish halo when lit up.

Bluetooth works fine. Discovered the Mac instantly. Got the plan with Tmobile for wireless modem to the Powerbook. The old scripts work fine, althought there is a UK website that offers scripts for these new SE products. iSync working great.

My old chargers work fine since SE has been using the same plug for several years now.

Changeable covers are cool too. Came with a set of the dark blue covers and the funky striped ones.

Anybody who is in the market for a nice, Bluetooth, GSM, clamshell phone that works with iSync should check it out.

I will post some pics soon.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Macpilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 10:59 AM

MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

michael_on_mac
Oct 22, 2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
Here are some pics...

http://homepage.mac.com/kkeyes/PhotoAlbum27.html
Thanks for the pics....

I thought about buying one for a moment, but, man, these changable covers and the screaming green logo - are they serious about this? Doh!

Michael.
12" Al PB Rev. B, SD, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB disk, OS X 10.3.1. IBM TP A30p with Linux 2.4.20 for serious stuff ;-)

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2003, 11:41 AM

I've had a T68i and it had the worst possible reception, and now I've got the T610 (ATT) and while not as bad as the T68i, its never going to be like my old Nokia phone.

So whats the reception like on the Z600?

Macpilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 12:26 PM

Well, only had it for a coupe days. Only been driving around in Houston with it. Going out of town for a few days though and will report on the reception for you.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 01:03 PM

I've read very favorable reviews on the Z600, even in terms of reception (a SE with good reception? Gasp!) Seems like a really nice phone... but the top lid looks really thrown together and... well... ugly to me. *shrug* The upcoming T630 looks like what the T610 should have been. Maybe SE is starting to get it??

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 02:09 PM

I actually like the lower end model better, just wish it had bluetooth.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2003, 02:57 PM

I wish it worked with Verizon dang. Blue tooth nice. camera If it had no camera that would lower the cost right big time. I like how its flip. The changable covers are kinda not cool. What os is it running. How did you get those pictures on your phone. What can you do with isync.

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 03:48 PM

Nice jet
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

Macpilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
I wish it worked with Verizon dang. Blue tooth nice. camera If it had no camera that would lower the cost right big time. I like how its flip. The changable covers are kinda not cool. What os is it running. How did you get those pictures on your phone. What can you do with isync.
Well, I personally like the covers as it gives you options. As far as the OS, it is not symbian. It is supposedly the same OS as the T610/616. Works very nice with the Navigation pad, which I find a huge improvement over the protruding joystick models.

The pictures I downloaded off this T610 site,

www.myt610.net

Then I just used the Bluetooth file sharing utility in OS X to "send" them to the phone.

For info on iSync,

www.apple.com/isync
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
The upcoming T630 looks like what the T610 should have been. Maybe SE is starting to get it??
Wow. That T630 looks sweet. Does anyone know if AT@T will be using this phone?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Macpilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 09:50 AM

The T630 is a GSM 900/1800/1900 phone, so it will support AT&T. It may not be for sale in their stores, but it will work on their network. All you have to do is put your SIM card from a current phone in it (if your current phones uses SIM). If not, you just take the phone to the AT&T store to activate it. You can get one on eBay.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 12:36 PM

Ok so what is this unlocking business all about? If I have AT&T in Canada do I have to buy an unlocked card off ebay or any z600?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Macpilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 12:41 PM

Just make sure you by an "unlocked" z600. It is possible to unlock a phone, but with an unlocked phone, in this case a GSM phone, you can use it on ANY provider (ATT, TMobile, Cingular).
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

iDORK
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 05:36 PM

VERY nice phone! I'm personally waiting for the new Motorola V600.

k2director
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 10:42 PM

Macpilot,
Do you know how many contacts the phone can store in its addressbook? Also, can it store addresses, or just phone numbers?
When I synch from my Mac, I like to retain address info as well as phone #s.
Much appreciated!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 10:57 PM

Well I couldn't find the T630 anywhere on Ebay. I read over at the howard forums that it won't be available in the US until the 1st quarter of 2004.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 11:37 PM

Apparently if you press it against your face and talk, it analyses your voice and encodes it digitally, just as if it were music or a photograph! You can then "send" this information to another Z600 (kind of like a text message) where it is decoded in real time and played to the person at the other end. Who'd ever have thought mobile phones would be able to do this!

MikeD
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by iDORK:
VERY nice phone! I'm personally waiting for the new Motorola V600.
YES! Me too! The new SE phones are nice... But they're not going to be great RF wise ESPECIALLY since they don't support GSM 850. GSM 850 is basically the old TDMA lines that everyone has converted to GSM. The motorolla V700 is quadband with GSM 850 (True world phone - I think the Treo 600 is like this also). It also supports MP3 ringtones!

Motorola and MS also just released a mpx200 smartphone through att. Apple should do something like this.. Release a smartphone with a small OSX type of system! That would be pretty cool!

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Macpilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by k2director:
Macpilot,
Do you know how many contacts the phone can store in its addressbook? Also, can it store addresses, or just phone numbers?
When I synch from my Mac, I like to retain address info as well as phone #s.
Much appreciated!
As far as the number of contacts....I have about 150 in my OS X Address Book, and they all are in the Z600 Phonebook. The Phonebook does NOT show any of the addresses or IM info. It shows everything else.

There might be some hack somewhere that allows iSync to send this data to the Z600, or maybe some future software will do so.

Right now, my Z600 shows 229 (510) for "Phone Memory" when I go to the Phonebook SIM Memory status. I am not sure what this means, except that maybe it means there are a total of 229 phone numbers that the phone can dial (some contacts with multiple numbers) out of a total of 510 that the SIM can hold.

iSync has worked well so far with Panther.

Reception of the phone has been excellent. I have used it in about 10 cities since I got it.

The battery lasts long.

The build quality is excellent. I can not stress this enough. Every previous Sony-Ericsson model I have held in my hand seems to be built by a different company.

The charger is funky. It has a little brick unit that has a phone jack on it. Another cord plugs into this phone jack and connects the phone to the brick section. This must be for international power requirements and adapters that can plug into the brick.

I am very impressed with this phone. I paid $465 for it on eBay. The "buy it now" and other stores online are selling it for $550 and up.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

malemutekid
Nov 5, 2003, 01:15 PM

I dont think the T610/6 feels cheap. I have a T616 and am very pleased with it. It is good to know that the Z600 is so good, too.
Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2003, 04:59 PM

I really don't understand what people like about flip phones, I mean this phone is the same as a t616 but the battery life is less, the thing is much thicker and you have to flip the thing open and closed all the time.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

k2director
Senior User
Dec 22, 2003, 05:25 PM

I tend to agree. They're thicker and require you to open em up to answer. Maybe I'm missing something.

Turias
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 05:30 PM

The only plus that I can think of is that it protects the screen...

Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2003, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
The only plus that I can think of is that it protects the screen...
From what? The Germans?

Turias
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
From what? The Germans?
Well, I was thinking from scratches... but yeah, I guess the hinge would protect it from Germans, too.

Macpilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by malemutekid:
I dont think the T610/6 feels cheap. I have a T616 and am very pleased with it. It is good to know that the Z600 is so good, too.
Upon further review......

My girlfriend just got a T610 for -$50. I have to change my opinion about this phone, as far as the build quality. The 610's I had seen before might have been the display models (plastic case) at the T mobile store.

Her T610 is really nice! So I retract my previous comments regarding the build quality of the T610. She is using it as a BT modem with her iBook and loving it.

It really is a nice size and feature set, especially when they are PAYING YOU to own one!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2003, 07:14 PM

Upon further review......

My girlfriend just got a T610 for -$50. I have to change my opinion about this phone, as far as the build quality. The 610's I had seen before might have been the display models (plastic case) at the T mobile store.
Ya I also saw the display models which are made out of plastic and don't work. The REAL thing is metal and probably the best build quality of any other phone on the market.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2003, 12:41 PM

Here are some pics...

http://homepage.mac.com/kkeyes/PhotoAlbum27.html
hmm... A8 wallpaper... nice

-- james

fado
Dec 23, 2003, 10:28 PM

where is the shot with the phone in the hand and interacting... so many great shots of the phone... but no shots of how it is in your hand or compared to an ipod.

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2003, 05:17 AM

About flip phones... part of the attraction is that a flip phone affords significantly larger and more comfortable buttons than the candy bar style phone..

Comparing the Z600 to the T616, that is definitely the first thing that i would notice...

It seems like the Z600 is becoming a hot item on eBay... I hope that one of these carriers will pick up that phone soon... my t68i is really hurting... the battery clip fell off...

RGB
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 11:35 PM

Flip phones also don't require you to do a key lock before putting the phone in your pocket, and an unlock when you take it out. Even with the keylock on, my T68i (just got replaced for the second time today, they keep dying) sometimes just turns off in my pocket.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2003, 05:22 PM

Nice phone, but too big for my tastes.

Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2003, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by RGB:
Flip phones also don't require you to do a key lock before putting the phone in your pocket, and an unlock when you take it out. Even with the keylock on, my T68i (just got replaced for the second time today, they keep dying) sometimes just turns off in my pocket.
Ya I figured that but I rather push 2 buttons to lock it rather then flip something open and have the extra weight. Plus the t68i-t616 have auto keylock.

RGB
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Ya I figured that but I rather push 2 buttons to lock it rather then flip something open and have the extra weight. Plus the t68i-t616 have auto keylock.
I'll take the flip. It's much more reliable than a key lock. And there are a lot of stylish flip phones out there. SE's first flip, pictured above, does look a bit awkward. Not as elegant as their candybar style phones (T68i, T610/16)

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 12:01 PM

And know the most importat question: how much does this fat thing weigh ?

Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by RGB:
I'll take the flip. It's much more reliable than a key lock.
Well that is true but I have never had a keylock go off on its own. The only flip phone I like is the Sony Ericsson Z200. It looks incredible and one piece not 2 cellphones with a hinge like the Z600 does. Plus, look how thick this sucker is yet it still has worse battery life then the 2 year old t68i?!!

Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by fado:
where is the shot with the phone in the hand and interacting... so many great shots of the phone... but no shots of how it is in your hand or compared to an ipod.
He could use some hand-cream but....

Forum Links
Forum Rules