Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod (not the mini) will come in (HP) blue.

iPod (not the mini) will come in (HP) blue.
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2004, 04:07 PM

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5137473.html

SAN FRANCISCO--Hewlett-Packard will start selling an HP-branded version of Apple Computer's iPod this summer, the companies announced Thursday.
Apple will manufacture the player, which will not have the iPod name, but will have the same design and features as Apple's third-generation iPod players, Phil Schiller, senior vice president at Apple, said in an interview. Also, the HP music player will come in "HP Blue," he said.

"The way we look at it, HP will be reselling an iPod device," said Schiller, who noted that the device will display the Apple logo at start-up and will work with all of the accessories made for the white-hued Apple varieties.

In addition, HP will start pre-installing Apple's iTunes on its consumer PCs and desktops. HP previously had said it planned to enter the digital music player and music store business, though sources familiar with the company's plans said partners would likely be involved.

-Q-
Jan 8, 2004, 06:00 PM

I was glad to see that one of the PC manufacturers finally licensed it. I wonder what their pricing structure will be like? Will Apple make them sell it at a similar price to the iPod? Or will they be able to compete with the Dell DJ more directly? I'll be interested to see how this plays itself out...

ballmann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2004, 06:50 PM

Could this be the "3G iPod will come in colors"-rumor from the last weeks? HP branded iPod

ChadC
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2004, 10:06 PM

I am excited to hear the news but I am also a little worried. It seems to me like a desperation move for Apple. Not sure why I feel this way. Has Apple done anything like this ever before with a PC manufacturer?
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

-Q-
Jan 8, 2004, 11:57 PM

Desperation move? How?? This opens up iPods to a completely new market, and Apple makes money either selling it directly or with an HP sale. Sounds like a great move to me. And with iTunes bundled with every HP PC being sold it further cements Apple's lead in the music industry. This is a great thing.

Mac Boy
Jan 8, 2004, 11:59 PM

Notice that Phil Shiller mentioned the 3rd generation iPods specifically... also notice that the "full-size" iPods received only a minor update at Macworld. By the time this HP branded iPod comes out, there will probably be a 4G iPod (perhaps taking the click-wheel from the iPod mini and adding a replaceable battery in the "big" version). Thus HP can sell their player cheaper, as it is no longer up-to-date with Apple's version.

So, Apple makes money off HP's sales, and gains many more users of iTunes. People who stayed away from iTunes because "it only works with one player and I'm locked in" are answered. Microsoft and WMA loose another battle.

Brilliant.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 9, 2004, 12:16 AM

"Desperation"?!?!

iPod sales are growing, not slowing down.

This HP thing is probably a tactic to get even more PC owners to become aware of the iPod.

tooki

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2004, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
iPod sales are growing, not slowing down.

This HP thing is probably a tactic to get even more PC owners to become aware of the iPod.
This is very true.

Remember that ALL shipping HP consumer laptops and desktops will now have iTunes pre-installed on them. And guess which MP3 players work with iTunes?

Now, Apple won't be able to get Dell or Sony on board, but I betcha they're pushing hard to get companies like IBM.

cantcstr8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2004, 10:56 AM

Well given Carly Fiorina's comments about off shoring of tech Jobs. I will be exercising my right (god given or not) to stay as far away from HP products from this point forward.

I realize that many companies including Apple do manufacturing and other work offshore , but the incredible arrogance of her comments make me question her whole operation.

I wonder when companies like hers succeed in decimating the middle class (which are the biggest buyers of consumer goods and biggest payers of taxes) in the US, whom they will sell their goods to?

Those wonderful workers in Bangalore certainly wont be able to afford her $1500 Multimedia PC

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 12:20 PM

If an HP blue iPod is cheaper that an Apple iPod, I'll buy the HP version. Why should Apple care? They still get paid. Blue is my color anyway. I'm not worried about how it'll look, I'm sure Apple will hook it up for HP.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 01:07 PM

Does that ipod Carly is holding look blue?

http://apnews.excite.com/image/20040...ocid=D7VVDEOO0

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 03:35 PM

Kinda gray. Still, if it's cheaper, I'm buying.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 05:15 PM

This is a good thing for Apple. HP has much better retail contracts than Apple does, Wal�Mart and Radio Shack in particular. Having an iTunes being shipped on PCs sold out of these retail chains will make iTunes and thus iTMS extremely popular. The Wal�Mart crowd is a pretty big crowd to reach. It's also a trump against Wal�Mart's music service and media players that will play its WMA files.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 05:48 PM

It actually don't look as bad as I thought it would.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2004, 07:13 PM

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Now, Apple won't be able to get Dell or Sony on board, but I betcha they're pushing hard to get companies like IBM.
Jobs said the deal was exclusive.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2004, 02:07 PM

I doubt HP will be able to sell them for a penny less than what Apple charges. If they do, it will be a nominal amount.

Originally posted by -Q-:
I was glad to see that one of the PC manufacturers finally licensed it. I wonder what their pricing structure will be like? Will Apple make them sell it at a similar price to the iPod? Or will they be able to compete with the Dell DJ more directly? I'll be interested to see how this plays itself out...

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by ChadC:
I am excited to hear the news but I am also a little worried. It seems to me like a desperation move for Apple. Not sure why I feel this way. Has Apple done anything like this ever before with a PC manufacturer?
Yeah. They did this kind of thing with the Apple II (very early on) and the Newton. I will be more interested to see what if anything else comes out of this relationship.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2004, 03:06 PM

They are smart to do this. Everyone says Apples biggest mistake was NOT to allow clones and that is what Microsoft win.

I still think no clones was a good idea but iPod clones I can live with.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2004, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
They are smart to do this. Everyone says Apples biggest mistake was NOT to allow clones and that is what Microsoft win.

I still think no clones was a good idea but iPod clones I can live with.
And the thing here is that they're not even clones. They're the real thing, with the same internals and everything. The only difference is the case, the name, and the packaging.

IOW, they're just Apple iPods pre-configured for HP machines and a different colour. They aren't clones at all, in the traditional sense of the word "clone".

mikeini
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2004, 06:28 PM

i think its a great idea for both apple and hp.

when will we see an hp ipod? will it be called the hp ipod?

when will the ipod mini's hit the apple stores?

krove
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2004, 12:14 AM

I saw someone refer to it as the hPod.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2004, 03:07 PM

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2004, 06:10 AM

I suppose the only difference, aside from aesthetics, will be that they'll be formatted for Windows by default, eh?

If that's the case, that kind of makes me interested in why they're waiting 6 months before they start the deal... Why not start putting iTunes on their PCs right away, and roll out 3G HP iPods next week?

Waiting for the next revision of the big iPod or the next (possibly HP tailored) version of iTunes, i speculate?

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by DaedalusDX:
I suppose the only difference, aside from aesthetics, will be that they'll be formatted for Windows by default, eh?

If that's the case, that kind of makes me interested in why they're waiting 6 months before they start the deal... Why not start putting iTunes on their PCs right away, and roll out 3G HP iPods next week?

Waiting for the next revision of the big iPod or the next (possibly HP tailored) version of iTunes, i speculate?
I heard that they want it to able to play the WMA format !

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2004, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by DaedalusDX:

Probably because they need to ramp up production of both the iPods and the laptops with disk images with iTunes. It'll take a few months to get everything in sync at least. 6 months does seem like a long time though.

-Q-
Jan 12, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
6 months does seem like a long time though.
I'm betting it does have something to do with WMA support. That's the only logical conclusion I can come up with for the delay. Now, I wonder if the WMA support will make it's way into the iPod or remain an HPod 'exclusive'?
( Last edited by -Q-; Jan 12, 2004 at 12:12 PM. )

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2004, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
I doubt HP will be able to sell them for a penny less than what Apple charges. If they do, it will be a nominal amount.
What they might do is do a bundle like dell does where they thorw it in with there pc computer or something. Do a package or something like that moteif. If you are looking for price again then go with the dell dj or something else they are way cheeper. The Iriver is cheeeper and has optical out and creative nomad jukebox zen is 60 gigs and is around 30% less than the ipods. That is if you are looking for price. http://reviews.cnet.com/4504-6490_7-...33917&x=51&y=3

And as for size most the time its in your pocket any way.

MikeMo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2004, 07:02 PM

how excited and proud she was to present the HP iPod? It was like she was holding up the baby lion in The Lion King!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2004, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
So what ? What's your point /
The HPod will be cheaper than the iPod, that's for sure.
The production cost for Apple will not change a lot, so the only option is that Apple and HP will have lower margins.

For sure, HP will not make as good money with the iPod as Apple does. But still, they will make much more than with a self-designed crapy player a la Dell....

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
Just a rumor, nothing more.
And the source is not very reliable, someone who is a M$ fanatic...

-t

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2004, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by turtle777:
The HPod will be cheaper than the iPod, that's for sure.
-t
What makes you think that? I'd bet, gigabyte for gigabyte they'll sell for the same prices. HP will probably make $20-40 on each, buying in volume from Apple.

If HP bundles one at a lower price with a computer they'll probably sacrifice most of their profit on the hPod in order to make their profit on the computer.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 01:55 AM

Not according to a "reliable" report on macrumors. I'd trust that more than a mac troll.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by Nebrie:
Not according to a "reliable" report on macrumors. I'd trust that more than a mac troll.
Hey, don't shoot the messenger... I don't believe it either... we'll just have to wait and see

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2004, 09:09 AM

Hey, don't shoot the messenger... I don't believe it either... we'll just have to wait and see
No we don't. HP itself has already said the rumour is completely bogus.

One of the main rumour mongers, Paul Thurrott, is well known for spouting pro-Windows crap. There's nothing inherently wrong with being pro-Windows, but he has no objectivity whatsoever.
( Last edited by Eug; Jan 14, 2004 at 09:14 AM. )

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 09:15 PM

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 09:18 PM

I want a RuntPod! NOW!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by hagheid:
More from the Rubber Room