Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MTV joins CNET in ignorance and slander against the Ipod.

MTV joins CNET in ignorance and slander against the Ipod.
historylme
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 09:17 PM

Here is the link,

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/148...headlines=true

I found many allusions to be completly wrong.
I wonder who are MTV's big sponsors?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 09:24 PM

The iPod battery debacle is entirely Apple's fault. I don't see what's wrong with the article.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

talisker
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 09:27 PM

Reasonably well written, even-handed and accurate article if you ask me.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 09:27 PM

Apple has a huge problem on their hands with the battery issue.

VERY POOR PRODUCT DESIGN.

Short term beautiful product on the outside, long term, gonna cost Apple a mint fixing.

historylme  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 09:36 PM

I didn't think that it was even at all. It has the timing on the replacement issue off, Apple started the replacement kit right before the "Ipods little secret" web page came out.

Granted, Apple should have done a better job on the replacement of the battery or more access to it from the design stage of production, and been more helpful with the replacements from the starts.

However, this article has the timeline wrong on the events and alludes to a negative over all existence of Apple as a company.

Perhaps I'm seeing too much into it.

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 09:43 PM

slan�der n.

1. Law. Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.
2. A false and malicious statement or report about someone.

What was said in that article, and what problem the guy had...was 100% true...and Apple's fault! It's not slander at all. It's a very big problem...that Apple has to deal with, as well as us customers unfortunately.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 09:43 PM

It's a lithium ion battery what did these people expect? Are these people gona complain when Dell's player goes south too?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
It's a lithium ion battery what did these people expect? Are these people gona complain when Dell's player goes south too?
exactly, you can get applecare for an iPod now for 2 extra years right? i have the original 5gb iPod and it still works like it did when i first got it...although it is quite scuffed up...damn i should bitch to apple about that

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2004, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
It's a sad day indeed: I agree with chic[k]en! From the day I got my iPod, I fully expected that at some point the battery would start losing it's charge, just like every cell phone battery I've had over the last 12 or so years. They just don't last for ever.

And the fact that the battery replacement was available before little Casey decided to make his video and deface iPod posters seems to get overlooked in these 'even handed' pieces. In fairness though, this was the first time I have read that he tried to replace his battery with a third party option and broke it, like the ham-handed dumbass he is.
Nemo me impune lacesset

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
exactly, you can get applecare for an iPod now for 2 extra years right? i have the original 5gb iPod and it still works like it did when i first got it...although it is quite scuffed up...damn i should bitch to apple about that
I believe it's one extra year (two years total).

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 10:20 PM

Can anyone find any piece of Apple documentation saying that it's battery does not need to be replaced?
Hmmm I have been dealing with replacing batteries in cell phones, home portable phones, and other devices. I know Apple products are great but they never said they would last forever.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

snct
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
Can anyone find any piece of Apple documentation saying that it's battery does not need to be replaced?
Hmmm I have been dealing with replacing batteries in cell phones, home portable phones, and other devices. I know Apple products are great but they never said they would last forever.
That's a good point; which is why Apple should have made the iPod with a replaceable/rechargeable battery, similar to their laptop machines (only smaller, of course).
--Steve

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 11:50 PM

Hasn't every news source done the same? I don't think I've seen a single news story on the ipod in months that hasn't done a one sided mention of the battery issue. It's getting really tiring.

Destroying the form factor of the ipod because someone is too lazy to pry off the back every few years or too cheap to pay an extra few bucks for a battery is stupid. If you play with anything way too much, it will break. Duh. Just go buy something else. What do you want? Cast Iron and Lead Acid? In the end only the lawyers will win.
( Last edited by Nebrie; Jan 14, 2004 at 11:57 PM. )

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2004, 01:06 AM

The fact that there's no obvious way to change the iPod's battery is a little disheartening - you can't simply turn a little thumbscrew, or pull a switch, and easily pop in a new battery. Not sure why Apple doesn't do this... maybe it would make the iPod a lot bulkier.

Still, I think it's a valid complaint to say the iPod isn't easy to fix batteries in, whereas a cell phone is very easy to replace batteries.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 01:31 AM

A non-replaceable battery lets it use more of the space for longer lasting.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 03:26 AM

And the very valid complaints about lost battery life? Remember, from the very start there were problems with iPods not realizing anything close to the 10-hour charge.

I still can't believe the Mini has the same shi��y battery life. That ruined my day.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 05:46 PM

I think this whole thing has gotten out of hand. Apple has made proper adjustments and has opened the proper channels for solving this issue (in the short term). A "problem" (relative term in this sense) has been discovered, and Apple offers a solution. You don't like the solution? Tough. Sell your iPod and get a DellPod or some other piece of crap. I'm sure you won't feel as cheated when your DellPod's battery poops out and Dell doesn't offer ANY solution.

FAAHHRRG! This kind of stuff really chaps my ass. It's funny to me what people find to complain about sometimes. The iPod is a damn near perfect digital music player (for it's time), so people need to find something to bitch about and blow out of proportion.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2004, 06:09 PM

NEWS FLASH

Rechargeable Batteries Don't Last Forever: News at 11

Has anyone ever purchased a digital camera? Guess what. My Canon S400 needed a new battery after 9 months... A new one was $39

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2004, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
The fact that there's no obvious way to change the iPod's battery is a little disheartening - you can't simply turn a little thumbscrew, or pull a switch, and easily pop in a new battery. Not sure why Apple doesn't do this... maybe it would make the iPod a lot bulkier.

Still, I think it's a valid complaint to say the iPod isn't easy to fix batteries in, whereas a cell phone is very easy to replace batteries.
Yes, this is valid (not being able to replace the battery at home), but people using their iPod every day and being pissy because the battery doesn't last forever are fools.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
NEWS FLASH

Rechargeable Batteries Don't Last Forever: News at 11

Has anyone ever purchased a digital camera? Guess what. My Canon S400 needed a new battery after 9 months... A new one was $39
its also a 840mAh 3.7V battery.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules